Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4806 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 89 of 144
24 February 2012 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
Well the grammar and the vocab are at least very easy(lots of German cognates).
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5183 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 90 of 144
28 February 2012 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
Ellsworth wrote:
Norwegian is such an easy language so far! And such a beautiful country. I really want to
visit sometime soon.

I am happy to hear that you enjoy it. What resources do you use? Let me know when you decide to come, so we can meet up. We are not exactly drowning in Norwegian learners, so I will try to give a helping hand to those who do study it.

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4806 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 

Message 91 of 144
28 February 2012 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Thanks! I am using Kauderwelsch Norwegisch wört für wört and Linguaphone Norwegian,
Pimsleur Norwegian, Google.no nyheter, and some children's book from a website of
children's books. I am a bit humbled since that post, as the pronunciation is harder than
I thought. The vocab and grammar are extremely easy however, and I can already read so
much.

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4806 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 

Message 92 of 144
29 February 2012 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
Started learning a bit of ASL with my friend at school today. Very interesting to have a
language with no spoken aspect.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4979 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 93 of 144
29 February 2012 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
Ellsworth wrote:
Thanks! I am using Kauderwelsch Norwegisch wört für wört and Linguaphone Norwegian,
Pimsleur Norwegian, Google.no nyheter, and some children's book from a website of
children's books.

When the time comes, and if you feel like taking a look at a Norwegian-only course, have a look at På Vei and later Stein på Stein. They're both courses aimed at immigrants to Norway and are really pretty complete courses with good audio. You'll increase your vocabulary in no time with them. I don't have links handy at the moment, but you can find them using Google and a good portion of both courses are freely downloadable.

I highly recommend them!

R.
==
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4806 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 

Message 94 of 144
29 February 2012 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
Ah thank you so much! Just found both of them and will check them out.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4646 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 95 of 144
29 February 2012 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
Ellsworth wrote:
Japanese... I am still not exactly sure how to approach it. I hate
learning programs, and
usually just like learning from grammar books, but its not working so well with
Japanese.
At least Irish is really starting to look up! Give me 3 weeks and I will be saying
everything in Irish.

Hi Ellsworth! You're doing great progress, and that's an admirable and interesting set
of languages you got there!

Don't lose heart with Japanese. The biggest hurdle in the language is that the sentence
order is really different to that of a native English speaker. But the system has its
own logic, believe me. Once you figure it out, it'll be really easy, and all you need
after that is to expose yourself repeatedly to the patterns until you get used to it.

You mentioned you like grammar. Look up "Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar" on
Amazon. There are also two other books in the series, the Intermediate, and Advanced.
I'm a big fan. While my approach is to figure out things on my own first and then refer
to grammar references, the book is still really enjoyable to go through. Very easy
explanations, and tons of example sentences to highlight the different points. It also
introduces all forms of speech, from colloquial to polite. You'll really love it. I
haven't gone through it yet, just attempted to read a few pages then set it down to
resume later, but I loved what I saw. Give it a shot.

A point though. If you feel lost with the sentences, you might try starting from the
simplest and increasing incrementally with the difficulty level. I was lost when I was
approaching Japanese too, but I decided to start reading sample sentences, with word-
for-word translations, and did that for some time, gradually increasing the difficulty
level, until I got a very good idea about how the grammar works. I used Assimil
Japanese for that, but you can find this kind of gradual building in any beginner text-
book, I guess. My school uses Genki, and I did look briefly through it. It looks really
good, but I'm not a textbook person, so didn't use it. The idea here is to look at the
sentences and their word-for-word translations, then read up the grammatical
explanations for the points presented, and build up from there. You can use the book
and ignore all the exercises, just focus on the sentences in the dialogues. Or you can
use the exercise to reinforce what you learned, it all depends on you. It's helpful to
do a few exercises to remind yourself of the structures you studied, I guess. I
personally focused on the sentences until I got the meaning down, and then now I try to
read and listen to as much Japanese as possible. I still get stumped, since I'm still
in the early stages, but it's definitely getting easier.

And you can try to study Kanji before all of this if you haven't done so already. It
will immensely help you find your way through the texts easily. I'm a big fan of
Heisig. The book is "Remembering the Kanji."

I'm focusing on both Japanese and Russian in this TAC. So even though my Japanese
skills are still rudimentary, you can fire questions at me anytime if you need to.

Good luck in the 6 WC!

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4806 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 

Message 96 of 144
29 February 2012 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the comment. I actually own remembering the Kanji, and I have already
completed the first book. I will check out also that dictionary of Japanese grammar
though the two books I own are both pretty good (Fundementals of Japanese Grammar and
Oxford Dictionary of Japanese Grammar and Verbs). I also have Genki 1 and 2, and am
planning on using it(though I haven't yet). I also am practicing with my aunt who is a
native speaker. But despite all that, there may still be questions I have for you so
thank you for the offer (also maybe Arabic if you don't mind)!

I find your progress in the 6WC quite inspirational by the way. Amazing amount of work
done.

This discussion contains 144 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version