Joined 4896 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 41 of 144
22 January 2012 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
Ellsworth wrote:
Я сегодня учил русские прилагательные. Они трудны! Я хочу понимать их,
но ещё не могу.
Я в большой школе. Я дам стол большому врат.
Я хочу писать об ирландском языке позже!

Что такое "врат"?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4797 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 42 of 144
22 January 2012 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
Спасибо. Я захотел написать "брат".
1 person has voted this message useful

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4886 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Sign Language, German, Spanish, French

Message 43 of 144
22 January 2012 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
Mark corrected most everything in the above post already.

'Они трудн`ы!' is correct Russian, but it would be as common to hear that as say, 'They be hard!' or 'Oh, how hard they are!', would be in English. Very valid, if you that is the sense you want to convey, or if you just wanted to practice adverbs without boggling yoruself with the details.

The common way, without attaching any particular semantic stress to the statement would be an adjective in lieu of an adverb, 'Они тр`удные!'. Here and above ` marks stress.

Ellsworth wrote:
Я дам стол большому брат.

If I may, what were you trying to say in English?
This is the meaning I gather from the above phrase:
I will give a table to the large brother. => Я дам стол большому брату.
I will give a table to the elder brother. => Я дам стол старшему брату.

Edited by s0fist on 22 January 2012 at 7:24pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4797 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 

Message 44 of 144
22 January 2012 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
I was actually just trying to say large brother, not elder brother. It was just a test in
adjectives for myself. For the sentence, "Они трудны" I was under the impression that
трудны was a so called "short verb" and that they were preferable for for predicate
adjectives. There is some cases however when you would want to use that form right? Like
in "Я болен"? Anyhow, thank you so much for all the help! I am not asking for any help,
being perfectly content to make my incorrect sentences in the hope that I will figure the
mistakes out as I improve, but it is really so helpful and kind.

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4797 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 

Message 45 of 144
23 January 2012 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
Я имею рассказ. Мой старший брат ходит в странную школу. Есть учителя без глаз! Учителя о
той школе не счастливы и здоровы. Они не видят, потому что они не имеют глаза. Если мой
брат не ходил бы в ту школу, я не знал бы об этом рассказ. Надеюсь, что тебе мой рассказ
понравится.

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4797 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 

Message 46 of 144
23 January 2012 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
I am considering studying Norwegian. My dad really wants to learn the language, and it
would be fun to practice with him. That would make it 4 languages I am trying to study
actively, as well as continuing my German and Spanish which might be too much work to
manage. However, I have no pressure to learn any of these languages so it wouldn't matter
if it takes me a lifetime to learn them. Might as well start another!

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4797 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 

Message 47 of 144
26 January 2012 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
Well my Norwegian dreams were short lived, as my dad won't be learning it, instead
Swedish, and I think I will do that with him. Maybe one day soon I will still learn
Norwegian, as I got a book on it, but for now only Swedish.

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5213 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 48 of 144
26 January 2012 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
Ellsworth wrote:
Well my Norwegian dreams were short lived, as my dad won't be learning it, instead
Swedish, and I think I will do that with him. Maybe one day soon I will still learn
Norwegian, as I got a book on it, but for now only Swedish.

Ah that's a shame! Living in Iceland I have friends from Norway and Sweden. One in particular is from Bergen, and I've been learning tiny bits of that dialect. Interesting thing I was taught the other day - Norwegian distinguishes quite a lot of words by tone, for example the verb å snakke (to speak) is said with a different tone to snakket (the chat, or talk; final t is silent there).

I agree with what you said about Irish on page one. I'm internalising the spellings of each word, but often not a standard version - Mícheál Ó Siadhail teaches Cois Fharraige Irish - which would normally annoy me. With Irish it feels like the spelling's a rough guideline for pronunciation at the best of times, and as long as I remember the differences between Irish dialects, I'm content. For example, Wikipedia tells me that the Cois Fharraige dialect is known for its lengthening of vowel sounds and often extreme shortening of words: "oíche" (night) is pronounced as if written "í" in Cois Fharraige, completely ignoring the final syllable.

How's Irish going for you? Not seen a post about it on here since the beginning of the month. Then again, I'd not posted myself this year before today.

This discussion contains 144 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version