129 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Spanish

Message 41 of 68
10 February 2012 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
Northernlights wrote:

He saw a car
Hee-sor-ra-kaah

Between the W of saw and the A we'd pronounce an R sound. How do Americans move on from saw to a, with a glottal stop?

No, no glottal stop - just the opposite actually. In the sentence "He saw water everywhere", would you add any Rs? I hope not, or this will be a bad example. But, if you run the words saw and water together so there is no break between them, you've got something pretty close to how I would pronounce your sentence. "Hee sahwah kahr".

1 person has voted this message useful

PillowRock
Groupie
United States
Joined 4559 days ago

87 posts - 151 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 42 of 68
10 February 2012 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
Northernlights wrote:
I think, not completely sure though, that you're referring to the strong versus weak vowel in "can", so stressed or unstressed. In the stressed version, you say it strongly and in full, but when it's unstressed you sort of rush over it and squash the vowel into a "uh" sound, "khn" or like you wrote, "ken".

I don't think so. I've heard the American accent that was described before. The vowel rotation in the verb "can" stays whether the word is stressed or not. To my ear, it's not quite "ken" (like the name), nor quite "kin" (like "kith and ..."). However, it is closer to both of those than to either "can" (like the metal container, which even in that accent keeps the "trap" short A) or "khn" (with a rushed "uh").

If you think of "can" and "can't" as a word pair, this seems a bit like it is the exact mirror image of the vowel rotation done by the British. It shifts the vowel sound of the opposite word in the opposite direction (though I know that last phrase is horribly imprecise).

Northernlights wrote:
staw = rhymes with straw, law, poor, sore, soar

I had never consciously realized that the ware any accents or dialects of English where the 5 words on the right hand side of that all rhymed with each other.

To me (an American from Michigan):
"Straw" and "law" rhyme, but don't rhyme with any of the other three.

"Sore" and "soar" sound the same, but don't rhyme with any of the other three.

"Poor" doesn't rhyme with any of them. However, "pore" and "pour" do rhyme with "sore" and "soar". The "oo" in "poor" is closer to the one in "woo".

Edited by PillowRock on 10 February 2012 at 10:10pm

PillowRock
Groupie
United States
Joined 4559 days ago

87 posts - 151 votes 

Message 43 of 68
10 February 2012 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
Northernlights wrote:

He saw a car
Hee-sor-ra-kaah

Relative to the US, that particular thing seems like a mixture of a couple different American accents. Dropping the R to change "car" into "kaah" sounds like a Boston / New England thing. Adding an R to turn "saw" into "sor" (or, as I recall seeing in one stand-up comedy routine: "wash" into "warsh") is more of a Texas thing.

rapp
United States
Joined 5556 days ago

129 posts - 204 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, Spanish

Message 44 of 68
10 February 2012 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
"Warsh" is definitely a Southern/Texan thing. Not everyone down here says it that way, by any means, but there is a Southern accent in which it is pronounced that way.

And I had a friend tell me once that, when growing up in NYC, she was taught in school that "saw" and "sore" were pronounced the same.

PillowRock
Groupie
United States
Joined 4559 days ago

87 posts - 151 votes 

Message 45 of 68
10 February 2012 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
rapp wrote:
And I had a friend tell me once that, when growing up in NYC, she was taught in school that "saw" and "sore" were pronounced the same.

As a Midwesterner, that just seems odd to me, especially being formally taught as opposed to just picking up a local accent.

So which direction were they moving things? Taking the R out of "sore", or adding an R to "saw"?

Edited by PillowRock on 10 February 2012 at 10:15pm

IronFist
United States
Joined 6262 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 46 of 68
10 February 2012 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Northernlights wrote:

staw = rhymes with straw, law, poor, sore, soar

That's most definitely UK pronunciation :)

In America, straw rhymes with law, but not even close to poor, sore, or soar (which all rhyme with each other).

IronFist
United States
Joined 6262 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 

Message 47 of 68
10 February 2012 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
PillowRock wrote:

"Poor" doesn't rhyme with any of them. However, "pore" and "pour" do rhyme with "sore" and "soar". The "oo" in "poor" is closer to the one in "woo".

That accent! Michigan? Do you pronounce "sorry" as "sah-ree" or "sore-ee"? I can't remember if that's the same accent or not.

I should clarify my previous post.

In Standard American English, poor rhymes with sore. Both have a long "O" sound.

PillowRock, do you pronounce "roof" as rüf? (like the "u" in "put". I know it's not really a ü but I don't know how else to write it)?

I remember when I was in first grade, in art class we were making houses out of clay, and the teacher was showing us how to make the roof, but she was pronouncing it with the "u" in "put," and me being 6 or 7 or however old you are in first grade, didn't know what word she was saying. So I raised my hand and asked "what part of the house is the rüf?" She looked at me like I was silly and said the top of the house. I was like "oh... you mean the roof!"

I don't remember if she thought it was funny or if she got pissed off, but looking back on it, it was definitely funny. I'd never heard anyone say rüf before in my life so how was I supposed to know what it meant! I was like 7 years old.

Edited by IronFist on 10 February 2012 at 10:55pm

IronFist
United States
Joined 6262 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 

Message 48 of 68
10 February 2012 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Northernlights wrote:
We're not actually aware we do it, it was pointed out to me by an American. I'll try to think of an example:

He saw a car
Hee-sor-ra-kaah

Between the W of saw and the A we'd pronounce an R sound. How do Americans move on from saw to a, with a glottal stop?

Just like it's spelled:

He. Saw (no R). A. Car (with the R).

In normal speech it would sound like:

"He saw uh car."

In fast speech the "a" might not even be pronounced and just glossed over instead:

"He saww (uh) car"

It's almost as if when your mouth is moving from the "aww" in "saw" to the "c" in car, it passes over the "uh" shape so it's very subtle.

Unless, of course, you're emphasizing that it was a car you saw (as opposed to the car or whatever).

Edited by IronFist on 10 February 2012 at 10:54pm

This discussion contains 68 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version