Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6010 days ago

80 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: Pashto, English*
Studies: Japanese, FrenchA2

Message 97 of 124
09 May 2010 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
If we're going to talk about English then "ombudsman" just has to be one of the most mysteriously sounding, disappointingly boring words in existence! I mean, look it up! The first time I encountered it (while perusing my A level law book) I had visions of a superhero who fed off budding flowers and meditated making that Ommm sound yogis make.

My Japanese word of the day is kizutsukeru "to hurt" it uses that lovely "tsu" sound I adore so vehemently.

1 person has voted this message useful

xevi
United States
Joined 5145 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 98 of 124
09 May 2010 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
Dutch has the most fun way to say "do you understand?" - Snap je dat?

ThisIsGina
Groupie
United Kingdom
languageblogbygina.w
Joined 5143 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Romanian, Catalan, Greek, German, French

Message 99 of 124
09 May 2010 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
I love the word "palabras" ("words" in Spanish). I have no idea why, it just sounds so awesome!

Ubik
United States
ubykh.wordpress.com/
Joined 5141 days ago

147 posts - 176 votes 
Studies: Latin, Arabic (Egyptian), German, Spanish

Message 100 of 124
09 May 2010 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
I love Palabras as well! There is a great film in fact called Palabras Encadenadas. Literally that means word chains and thats part of the movie, but the American title is Killing Words.

My favorite words to say (ones that Ill make excuses to try and fit into sentences whenever possible):

Gemuetlich (comfortable). I can say it over and over again

Also 'verzeihung' (formal excuse me) and 'geschichte' (I want to say this means story, but I cant recall at the moment)

Edited by Ubik on 09 May 2010 at 10:51pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6295 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 101 of 124
23 March 2011 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
I really like the word 天下 (tiānxià) in Chinese, not really for its sound but for the
way it is.
天 = heaven / sky
下 = under, underneath
天下 = everything under heaven, the world, China

German: Fernweh - often translated as "Wanderlust", but "Wanderlust" is another German
word with a somewhat different meaning. In my interpretation, "Wanderlust" means a
desire to move on and see other places. "Fernweh" is like "Heimweh" (being homesick),
except it's about a far-away place. "Fernweh" is a longing to be somewhere else, some
specific place that has good memories or great expectations, but unlike "Wanderlust"
the goal is not to be on the move, the goal is to be sedentary in that far-away place.

My favorite words in other languages:
Greek: θάλασσα (sea)
French: soleil (sun)
Esperanto: homarano (roughly translated: member of mankind)
Swahili: ndugu (brother, sister, cousin, relative or friend; comes with a sense of
cherishing)

(Is there a separate thread about favorite words rather than nice-sounding words? Seems
that there should be)

Edited by Sprachprofi on 23 March 2011 at 7:34pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4906 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 102 of 124
23 March 2011 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Bull, Sky, Way - English
Mastodonte (Mastodon) - Portuguese
Ore - Japanese (I've seen it here already)
Kokoro, tora, sakura, katana, gozaimashita - A little more of Japanese.

I really enjoy the words in Japanese language. They're all cool in my opinion. They sound
good to my ears, and I also like to speak them.

Edit: Nicht - German

Edited by Matheus on 23 March 2011 at 7:58pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4859 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 103 of 124
23 March 2011 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
I really like the word 天下 (tiānxià) in Chinese, not really for its sound but for the
way it is.
天 = heaven / sky
下 = under, underneath
天下 = everything under heaven, the world, China

This is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing it.

My favorite words are mundane ones. For example lechuga, the Spanish word for "lettuce."

In Russian, I like днём ("in the afternoon"), and I make silly sounds like a car racing around a bend in the road every time I say it. It has nothing to do with the meaning of the word, but that's what it sounds like to me.

Edit:
A few words I like in my native English are quotidian (a rather amazing word despite the fact that it represents the ordinary day to day things) and discombobulated.

Edited by jdmoncada on 23 March 2011 at 9:02pm

Phantom Kat
Diglot
United States
Joined 4888 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Finnish

Message 104 of 124
24 March 2011 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
Spanish

"Rompecabezas" - puzzle - It literally means "breaks heads," and I just find it so hardcore, like the puzzle is going to be a living nightmare or something.

"Tragalenguas" - tonguetwisters - sounds cool, too.

"Parangaricutirimícuaro" - this is actually from a tonguetwister I learned as a kid, but it wasn't until I tried to find the actual tonguetwister (because I think I may have heard it differently) that I realized it's an actual place. Yeah, call me oblivious. xD

Website, which includes the tongue twister at the bottom. :D

English

"Medulla Oblongata" - Part of the brain that controls things such as breathing and heart rate. I love saying it, and whenever I remember it or come across it I can't help but sing it.

"Despite the fact." - not a word, but a phrase I love writing and saying to the point of, "Okay, this needs proofreading."

Finnish

"Perkele" - Damn - I don't know why, but I find this to be the cutest curse I've come across. I love rolling the 'r'.

"Yö" - night - The u-like 'y' and the almost-like-an-o sound just sounds awesome to my ears.

- Kat

Edited by Phantom Kat on 24 March 2011 at 1:23am

This discussion contains 124 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version