413 posts - 461 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 10 of 88
21 April 2008 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Leopejo wrote:
chelovek wrote:
Maladyets, I just realized that you were learning Russian. I can give you my opinion on RS Russian, as I've been studying Russian for about 8 months, and have RS as well.

Chelovek, do you use the new Version 3 Rosetta Stone, or the older V2? I heard that the V3 one is more "traditional" than V2: it introduces greetings soon and so on, but haven't been able to check by myself.

I think I have Version 2. The second volume starts with basic greetings and such, but there aren't any in Volume 1. I'm glad they actually are trying to improve their product though. I don't suppose they added in some grammar tools, did they?
1 person has voted this message useful

AlexL
Diglot
United States
Joined 6901 days ago

197 posts - 277 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 11 of 88
26 April 2008 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
They did add grammar exercises. They've also added simulated conversations (though not that many) and they now try to teach you individual sounds and letters.

Also, "the elephant is jumping" is literally the first lesson. Of course you progress further. By Level 2, you are saying, "The man drove the car to work," "The train has been delayed 30 minutes," "Is it going to rain tomorrow?," "I'm buying an umbrella today because it's going to rain tomorrow," and more.

Go to this link: http://www.rosettastone.com/global/support/downloads

And click the "Version 3 Contents" tab. You can then download a list of phrases taught in any of the version 3 languages.

Personally, I think RS v3 is great, but you should have some background, even just a small one, in the grammar of the language or the grammar of a similar language. I had no problems using RS Italian having studied Spanish, but did have trouble with Russian--I think I would have fared better had I spent a few weeks learning some basics before starting the program.

Edited by AlexL on 26 April 2008 at 3:33pm

Lugubert
Heptaglot
Sweden
Joined 6684 days ago

186 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Danish, Norwegian, EnglishC2, German, Dutch, French
Studies: Mandarin, Hindi

Message 12 of 88
30 April 2008 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
I have looked at RS Hindi and Chinese, languages that I need to improve. The pictures plus words very often lead to difficulties that are not language related. Is this kid in a toy car a boy or a girl? Is this female meant to illustrate a girl or a woman?

Hindi. A boy is face down flat on the ground. A ball balances on his back. You think that you recognize the nouns, so it reads 'boy' par 'ball'. You know some other Indo-European langugaes. Clear enough: par must mean 'under'. Or? Pages later, you get a table over a boy, 'over' is nice. Finally, after listening umpteen times and viewing other combinations, if you're lucky you might find that 'boy' doesn't sound exactly the same way with the ball as in "The boy runs". Ball-boy problem: it's literally Boy - on whom - ball, and conversely for the table setup, your understood 'over' means 'under' One sentence of grammar explanation would have saved you from "learning" two errors, having to unlearn them later.

An interesting cultural clash was that I was getting very close to a brain meltdown, because I thought that I rather consistently chose the correct answers for level 2 Chinese (except perhaps for those boychild/girlchild, walking/running or boy/man choices), but the program signalled errors all the way.

It wasn't entirely obvious to me that the check mark was supposed to mean OK. From grade 1 in Sweden, the check mark means wrong in school.

I'm so happy that our public library lent those courses. Buying them would have been a total waste of money for me.

Edited by Lugubert on 30 April 2008 at 8:59am

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6674 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 13 of 88
30 April 2008 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
I used Rosetta Stone levels 2 and 3 to learn Spanish (I had started with Pimsleur).

I have such mixed feelings about it, because I liked it for Spanish, and not so much for Russian. I'm not sure why. I had already studied Russian for a number of years, perhaps, so the sentences in Rosetta Stone seemed worthless to me. I just could not relate to "The boy is under the airplane" in a meaningful way.

Level 3 has audio, reading, and even videos which I found to be entertaining enough to stick with it. After version 3, I started going to a private Spanish tutor, and she was impressed I had learned as much as I did from a piece of software.

Javisst
United States
Joined 6118 days ago

35 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Italian, Swedish

Message 14 of 88
01 May 2008 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
Lugubert, your criticism of RS minus the cultural clash is the same as mine. When I tried it out, there were so many times that I just wanted it to give me a translation instead of forcing me to play these elaborate, drawn out games to find out what a word means. I just couldn't get into RS.

AlexL
Diglot
United States
Joined 6901 days ago

197 posts - 277 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 15 of 88
02 May 2008 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
While the criticisms are certainly valid, they are of Version 2. The "boy under the airplane" is not in Version 3, and prepositions are not taught until you are already used to the language somewhat. There are now grammar exercises, and while it is still sometimes difficult to understand certain phrases based on the pictures--especially in non Indo-European languages--a search for a good explanation in Google or a look at your favorite dictionary usually are enough to solve the problem.

I think RS has improved a lot in Version 3, but I do still think the program is designed to work with Romance languages and Germanic languages more than any others. (Russian and Chinese included).

digitlhand
Triglot
Groupie
United States
ryanslrblog.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6038 days ago

77 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Japanese, Greek, French

Message 16 of 88
02 May 2008 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
In conclusion you'll learn the language a little but not far. End of discussion.

This discussion contains 88 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version