Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
88 messages over 11 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 10 11 Next >>
Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6183 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 41 of 88
09 May 2008 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
Hmmm, nice... pity I got discouraged when I started learning Arabic from it because I couldn't work out what I was supposed to be learning from the picture.

On the other hand, it's bloody expensive and I'm not sure I would have forked out any money for version 2 and then version 3.
1 person has voted this message useful

Casey
United States
Joined 6423 days ago

26 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 42 of 88
30 July 2008 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 

Edited by Casey on 12 August 2008 at 9:00am

Casey
United States
Joined 6423 days ago

26 posts - 28 votes

Message 43 of 88
30 July 2008 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 

Edited by Casey on 12 August 2008 at 9:00am

chelovek
Diglot
United States
Joined 5897 days ago

413 posts - 461 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 44 of 88
30 July 2008 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
Casey wrote:

This one word at a time approach is probably why Americans never properly learn their first and only language in U.S. schools! American English teachers over-focus on ridiculous drills of looking up individual words in the dictionary and giving tests on spelling and dictionary definitions.

Don't make silly generalizations, either about Americans, or about all schools. Last I checked, most of the Americans I've spent much of my life interacting with are literate and competent in English. Furthermore, schools teach both vocabulary and grammar; what are you talking about?

Edited by chelovek on 30 July 2008 at 2:18pm

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6667 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 45 of 88
30 July 2008 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
I may have answered elsewhere, but I'd just like to say that I studied Russian for close to eight years, the last four with private tutors, and reached a certain level of competency. Having had a relatively positive experience with RS for Spanish, I thought I'd try it for Russian, thinking it might be a nice review. For Russian, I found it to be a complete waste of time. Why I thought it was okay for Spanish and not Russian will require some deep thought, but what I can say now is that without a realistic context, I cannot get the words to stick. Even words I knew already, for some reason just weren't resonating with me in RS. I'm guessing it's because the context is so far removed from any meaningful reality.

Perhaps having used it for Spanish, I would also say that the given context is just plain boring. There is no plot, no continuity, nothing to keep me coming back aside from the lure of knowing more words. But to say what? When in my life will I ever need to know how to say, "The boy is under the airplane." I mean, aside from right now, just to illustrate this point.

The dialogues offered in the Princeton Russian Course (available for download for free, somewhere), in contrast, are infinitely more entertaining, and that's what keeps me coming back. Why I do this after so many years of study is that I think I've forgotten most of what I knew, or at least it doesn't come as quickly, so it's a nice review.

Edited by CaitO'Ceallaigh on 30 July 2008 at 4:59pm

Casey
United States
Joined 6423 days ago

26 posts - 28 votes

Message 46 of 88
31 July 2008 at 10:52am | IP Logged 

Edited by Casey on 12 August 2008 at 9:01am

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5821 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 47 of 88
31 July 2008 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
Phonetic alphabets are only useful when learning pictographic languages, like Chinese, Japanese and English. Alphabetic languages are normally pretty much phonetic.

I think it's more important to avoid overexposure to the written form.

Why? Because MRI scans show that the auditory cortex is stimulated by reading, so there is clear evidence that the brain makes a hard association between letters and sounds. If you're not used to hearing the sounds of a language, the sound you associate with a letter will interfere with your ability to hear the new language. Phonetic alphabets are the crutch that supports the chronically crippled book methods of learning.

Casey
United States
Joined 6423 days ago

26 posts - 28 votes

Message 48 of 88
01 August 2008 at 9:49am | IP Logged 

Edited by Casey on 12 August 2008 at 9:01am

This discussion contains 88 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version