Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

When is it considered polyglottery?

Tags: Polyglottery
 Language Learning Forum : Lessons in Polyglottery (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
43 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>
ilovelanguages
United States
Joined 6086 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 43
08 May 2008 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
I heard that it's 5 or more. If so, (I speak English, Danish, Swedish, Dutch, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish,
Italian, Polish, Romanian, and Russian, learning Icelandic and Japanese), am I a polyglot or do I have to learn more?

EDIT: Don't pay attention to my profile. I was busy when I made it.

Edited by ilovelanguages on 08 May 2008 at 10:08pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6173 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 2 of 43
08 May 2008 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
Gee, so many languages and still having trouble with the English word 'polyglot'!

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6503 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 43
09 May 2008 at 4:36am | IP Logged 
My understanding is that there isn't any fixed limit so we can more or less choose our own definition here if we want to. However there are several factors that make it difficult to impose a limit based on a specific number of languages. In places where monolingualism is the norm even 4 or 5 languages might be enough to arouse curiosity, while I would hesistate to use the word below 5-6 in places where most people can speak at least two or three languages. You also have to weigh the languages: it is more difficult and time consuming to learn distant languages than closely related languages so the limit should be lower if the languages on a person's list are widely scattered. And finally you would also have to consider the extent of his/her knowledge in each language: six languages known to perfection would command as much respect as a dozen known barely well enough to read a newspaper. But there must be a lower limit: even a nobel prize in literature wouldn't make a person with just 2 or 3 languages a polyglot.

Edited by Iversen on 13 May 2008 at 5:58am

Russianbear
Triglot
United States
Joined 6575 days ago

358 posts - 422 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, Ukrainian
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 43
09 May 2008 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
ilovelanguages wrote:

EDIT: Don't pay attention to my profile. I was busy when I made it.

I see you have updated your profile since yesterday, and I guess it reflects your skills more accurately now. With your knowledge of 4 languages to Native fluency, and 5 more to "Advanced fluency" level, I don't think anyone would object to calling you a polyglot. 4 languages learned to native fluency would do the trick by itself. "Poly" means "many", as opposed to "one", so anyone who knows more than one language qualifies, in my opinion.

Edited by Russianbear on 09 May 2008 at 9:35am

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6173 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 8 of 43
09 May 2008 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Well said!

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version