United Kingdom
Joined 5644 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 153 of 153
30 December 2008 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
Hey J Learner,

its me!

I bought your suggested text "hebrew at your ease" and found it to be very good. I'm only a short way into it and know most of the words already in the units I have read, but I love the fact it has vowels and introduces passages and then explains all the New Vocabulary.

I am very sad to hear that you are considering dropping Hebrew. I've told you my own story.

I have been learning hebrew myself for about a year too. I have been in Israel for 8 weeks and still, my Hebrew is rather laughable. However, compared to a year ago, I think I am bloody brilliant. I couldn't introduce myself or say anything at all this time last year so now I have come on in leaps and bounds.

I, like you have multiple resources. I think when we feel things are terrible is usually when we are about to crack them, maybe if you continue for another year things will begin to take shape. I also imagine that language learning is very hard at the start, but with time new things are learnt in an exponential fashion. Once you know some Hebrew words, you can learn ones that sound similar and start to put things together.

Maybe rethink how you expect to proceed with this language. Rome wasn't built in a day. Despite my studying and actually being in the country I am far from fluent in Ivrit, but slowly slowly, leat leat as they say, little bits are beginning to make sense.
Try to think back over all you have achieved. If you could not read Hebrew before starting, then you have accomplished great things already. I could read Hebrew already before I started learning Hebrew.

I still swear that Pimsleur got me started. I think use that, use the Hebrew at ease book, do other stuff when you get bored and it is supposed to be fun.

Email me and we can chat. I have Israeli friends, but I need to convince them to chat to me in Hebrew now :) Usually they get too bored as I can be rather slow!

I have to take a Hebrew learning break as have my final exams in 6 months but I intend to keep on listening to Hebrew Podcasts to keep Hebrew on the backburner. Maybe in the Summer I will come to Israel to do an Ulpan and really accelerate my learning.

If it makes you feel better, although I am no linguist, I think Hebrew is a very difficult language for English speakers to master. Rarely are words similar, the language is verb based, they are sex obsessed in that everything has a gender and even the bloody verbs change and there aren't many good resources available.

I like a challenge and am going to stick at it to prove that it can be done.

Spk to u soon and hope you get back on the language learning wagon soon

Rosie

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 153 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version