Germany
Joined 6116 days ago

267 posts - 349 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1, Danish
Studies: Spanish, Dutch

Message 9 of 31
12 June 2008 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
A huge THANK YOU to daristani and unzum for the links. I do highly appreciate them!!!
1 person has voted this message useful

rggg
Heptaglot
Mexico
Joined 6120 days ago

373 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Indonesian, Malay
Studies: Romanian, Catalan, Greek, German, Swedish

Message 10 of 31
13 June 2008 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
I found this site back when I had a Lithuanian friend on the internet:

http://www.angelfire.com/ut/Luthuanian/   (Ye s, it says Luthuanian)

In this site you can subscribe to "Lithuanian Word of the Day" (it's free), and get an e-mail daily, sometimes they even send you the conjugation of a verb.

Hope this helps!!!

Edited by rggg on 13 June 2008 at 8:59am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Penombra
Diglot
United States
Joined 6099 days ago

34 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: Tagalog*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 11 of 31
14 June 2008 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
I have "Colloquial Lithuanian," and it looks excellent - though I don't have much to compare it to as the only
"Colloquial" course I've ever used is the Colloquial Latin American Spanish. Lithuanian seems like a rather
interesting language, though I'm still not sure whether or not I'll try to attempt it. Maybe once I've gotten to a more
sophisticated level of Russian, I'll be more familiar with how all the cases work and then I'll try it.

enedwaith
Diglot
Turkey
aiesec.org.trRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5952 days ago

4 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Russian, Lithuanian

Message 12 of 31
15 June 2008 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
Hello,

I am a turkish guy who lived in lithuania for 9 months and I was pretty good at the language via the resources I used to catch the main elements of the language.

I will continue studying it, just after I become basicly fluent in the russian language, and I have few resources, those are:

1. Teach Yourself Lithuanian
2. http://www.debeselis.net
3. http://www.oneness.vu.lt/en/

I hope those stuff will be useful for you.
If you go to lithuania, basicly in vilnius, you can find some resources in Acropolis(Maxima) as well :)

Also there is a good language books seller close to Vengriai bus stop, just 2 stops before the train station with number 2 troleibus :D

Kind regards.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Ugnyteee
Lithuania
Joined 5764 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 13 of 31
22 July 2008 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
I'm Lithuanian. If you need any help or have any questions - skype me    sowhatskypenameisnottakeniwonder or pm me here :)

Good luck !

Edited by Ugnyteee on 22 July 2008 at 7:43pm

paparaciii
Diglot
Latvia
Joined 6131 days ago

204 posts - 223 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, Russian
Studies: English

Message 14 of 31
22 July 2008 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
I know some words in Lithuanian. :D
Btw, I've heard that Latvian is somehow easier than Lithuanian.
So learn Latvian. ;DD

Kuunhalme
Pentaglot
FinlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5962 days ago

25 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Hungarian, Latvian
Studies: Polish, Spanish, Dutch, Georgian, Lithuanian

Message 15 of 31
30 July 2008 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
I'm currently actively learning Lithuanian. I must admit that my previous knowledge in Latvian is helping me quite a bit. I have three primary sources, three books with corresponding audio which I've converted into mp3 files:

1) Introduction to Modern Lithuanian by Dambriunas et al. This is the same book as Beginner's Lithuanian. As far as I know, the latter is just the name of its more recent editions. I consider it quite a good language course. It presents the grammar logically, step by step. Somewhere around the middle it rushes forward into more challenging texts which are comprehensible but probably leave holes in the basic vocabulary. The interesting thing about this course is its longing for an independent Lithuania and nostalgy for the times before 1940, accompanied with a condemnation of the Soviet occupation. The old tapes I have are recorded with a good reading pace from the lesson 15 or so onwards, but before that every sentence is repeated once. Unfortunately there are only two readers, but their articulation is good.

2) Colloquial Lithuanian by Routledge. A more recent course, it uses a more modern approach to learning with all kinds of exercises, filling in missing words, answering questions about the text, writing an essay etc. That might sound nice but isn't very practical from the point of view of an individual learner outside a classroom setting. The texts are quite good, especially their vocabulary is well selected. You can even get solid cultural knowledge about Lithuania by working through the book (Lithuanian kings, theatre, basketball, Lithuanian cuisine etc). However, I don't like the presentation of the grammar in this book. Especially the grammar explanations presented after each lesson are unclear in my opinion. Furthermore, there aren't enough exercises to practise the grammar with, but you get all kinds of "modern", yet puzzling exercises instead. The tapes are a bit muffled and sometimes have background sounds to provide "realism".

3) Modern Lithuanian: a textbook for foreign students by Paulauskiene and Valeika. I've yet to read this book. My first impressions: A quite comprehensive course with lots of good material, yet not a course you might want to start with, as the learning curve seems quite steep right at the beginning. I can discuss this book later in more detail. The tapes seem to be pretty good.

I'm using kind of a shadowing technique with these books. I listen to and repeat the tapes many times, and only later I'll start the active phase where I build sentences in Lithuanian myself. After going through these books, I'm planning to listen to the Lithuanian radio, read newspapers and above all read Lithuanian translations of Finnish books (available at the library of our university) and compare them with each other. However, the problem with reading newspapers or books is that you can't be sure which syllable is stressed if you want to read it out loud yourself.

If you know any good audio sources of Lithuanian other than the website of the National TV and Radio, please let us know!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Masked Avenger
Triglot
Antarctica
Joined 5929 days ago

145 posts - 151 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, Danish
Studies: Finnish, Latin

Message 16 of 31
06 August 2008 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
I was studying it last year before visiting Lithuania. It is indeed interesting and rather elaborate. Out of all living Indo-European languages, its speakers seem to have been most resistant to discarding the features of PIE. Whether it's very close to PIE is debatable since PIE is an educated guess and is based on what linguists know from all IE languages, living and dead.

For me the biggest problem in learning it was the lack of materials (which meant lack of opportunity to practice on my own). I'm one of those people who needs to do something several times before it starts to stick. The declension drove me nuts since it makes distinctions that other languages no longer make or never made. It took a while and some practice for me just to get a sense (we're not talking mastery) of the declension with their subgroups. What's left of Slavonic declension was much easier for me to retain than Lithuanian declension. As the Baltic and Slavonic languages grew apart after being part of a probable Balto-Slavonic proto-language, the Slavs gradually made fewer and fewer distinctions in declension that likely existed in the proto-language. For whatever reason, the Lithuanians and Latvians retained more of them.

How does it compare to, say, Russian? The great Slavic language still has many gramatical cases, a peculiar plural system, a rather unique sound and a ton of grammatical exceptions (the nighmare of any language student)?

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version