Groupie
Italy
Joined 4763 days ago

70 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, Russian
Studies: GermanA2, French, Danish

Message 25 of 31
22 May 2011 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
Found another site, with "introduction courses" to many languages, and between them there's also Lithuanian.
http://ikindalikelanguages.com/
1 person has voted this message useful

viedums
Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4460 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 26 of 31
20 February 2012 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
A few comments, as a Latvian speaker who found Lithuanian quite easy:

Dambriunas et al is a very solid text. I had the opportunity to go through it with a Lithuanian teacher, and it provided a good intro.

The 4-week summer course at the University of Vilnius, located at its central campus which dates from the 16th century, was a lot of fun. When I did it (about 15 years ago) it was quite a large program, probably over 100 students at different levels, with some heritage learners and others from many different European countries. I remember using Lithuanian to communicate with a Hungarian classmate who didn't know English - odd. Here's a link:

http://www.lsk.flf.vu.lt/en

The tones are not that noticeable, except with the 'ai' dipthong where one of the tones gives it a sound more like 'ei', as in 'labai' (very). Tones are linked with the accent class, which is actually more regular than for Russian (there are four classes, one of which is fixed accent.) Maybe because I knew a lot of vocab from Latvian, I didn't find the accent system that difficult to pick up.

A last impression - for a Latvian ear, Lithuanian can sound comical at times. For example, the equivalent of "v kontse kontsov" in Russian is "galu galaa" in Latvian, stress on the first syllables. In Lithuanian it's "galuu gale" with final stress. It just sounds slightly ridiculous to me, hard to explain why.

Edited by viedums on 20 February 2012 at 8:57am

p.nezinia
Triglot
Lithuania
Joined 4115 days ago

4 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Lithuanian*, Sign Language, English
Studies: Finnish

Message 27 of 31
25 January 2013 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
Another Lithuanian who is more than glad to help with this language is here. :)

Surtalnar
Tetraglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4190 days ago

52 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: German*, Latin, English, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Arabic (classical)

Message 28 of 31
27 January 2013 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
For me, Lithuanin sounds like a mix of Slavic and Scandinavian (especially Swedish). A
very interesting language.

Edited by Surtalnar on 27 January 2013 at 1:35am

Antanas
Tetraglot
Groupie
Lithuania
Joined 4606 days ago

91 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: Lithuanian*, English, Russian, German
Studies: FrenchB1, Spanish

Message 29 of 31
27 January 2013 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
Here is a video interview with Jonas Öhman, a Swede with almost perfect oral (grammar is perfect, only his intonation and not pronunciation sometimes betrays that he is not a native Lithuanian) and perfect written command of Lithuanian:

http://www.alchemija.tv/index.php/pasivaik-iojimai/pasivaiki ojimai-su-jonas-hman/

Here is an example of his writing:

http://www.delfi.lt/news/ringas/lit/johmanas-lietuviu-tapaty be-rinkimuose-arba-uspaskichas-kaip-atominis-karalius.d?id=5 9808657

So yes, it can be done, you can learn Lithuanian, if you try. And don't forget that Öhman is a native speaker of Swedish, a language that is almost as much inflected as English.

Edited by Antanas on 27 January 2013 at 9:18pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 30 of 31
27 January 2013 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
shapd wrote:
Russians living in the Baltic states complain that it is impossible to
learn Latvian or Lithuanian, which they now need to. This is of course partly political,
but there is some truth in it.

many of them learnt those languages and they are not the most difficult languages for a
Russian anyway. I was told that the only difficult part about Lithuanian was
pronunciation.

Edited by Марк on 27 January 2013 at 10:14pm

Arcius
Lithuania
Joined 4046 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 31 of 31
08 April 2013 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone, I have found some courses in Vilnius if someone would like to learn
Lithuanian. Here is a link: http://www.lingualit.lt/ Hope this will help someone. :) And
if someone will come in Lithuania contact me (gyypman@gmail.com) and I will get you a
tour through the best "beer drinking places" in Vilnius. ;]

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version