United States
Joined 7006 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 25 of 67
01 July 2008 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
I don't shadow regularly, but when I do it's at the exact same time as the audio, and not a second or half second behind. The effect is similar to singing in chorus, and if you're off, you can hear the disharmony.

I believe that once you know the material well enough (or can read well enough) to speak at the exact same time as the recording, you are approaching the professor's ideal.
1 person has voted this message useful

LilleOSC
United States
lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6492 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 26 of 67
08 July 2008 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
DaraghM wrote:
I don't shadow regularly, but when I do it's at the exact same time as the
audio, and not a second or half second behind. The effect is similar to singing in chorus, and if you're off, you can
hear the disharmony.

I believe that once you know the material well enough (or can read well enough) to speak at the exact same time as
the recording, you are approaching the professor's ideal.
That is very hard to accomplish though, which is
why I understand fully how some people would rather just listen to immense amounts of audio in the target
language instead of trying to master shadowing. Shadowing is not easy to do.

EDIT: Does anyone know why the forum spaced my post awkwardly? I didn't put those spaces in there.

Edited by LilleOSC on 08 July 2008 at 11:15am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7006 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 28 of 67
08 July 2008 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
LilleOSC wrote:
luke wrote:
I believe that once you know the material well enough (or can read well enough) to speak at the exact same time as the recording, you are approaching the professor's ideal.

That is very hard to accomplish though.

It depends on the material, the language, and your experience. Slower speakers are easier to shadow. Phonetic languages are easier to shadow (while looking at a text). Familiar material is easier to shadow.

Of course, the shadower is trying his/her best to speak in harmony with the recording.

Edited by luke on 08 July 2008 at 9:38pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6504 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 29 of 67
08 July 2008 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
I don't shadow. When I speak I stop listening, and then it isn't shadowing any more. And the brisk walking of ProfArguelles doesn't appeal to me, I prefer moving slowly in order to get into something like a mild trance state.

My alternative to true shadowing is to do something that I for want of a generally accepted term sometimes have called "active listening", sometimes "listening like a bloodhound on a trail". This basically means that I parse the sound stream into words and syllables and follow it silently, but in a very focused way in my head - for some reason this doesn't interfere with my listening. When I do this I deliberately ignore the meaning because the aim is to get a feeling for the sounds and melody of the language. If I tried frantically to understand everything at this stage I would just stop listening and loose track of the sounds, and the sounds are the only important thing here.

However I know from experience that one day I will have learnt enough words and idioms and then the meaning will suddenly pop up in my mind without any effort from my side. This moment is called an "epiphany moment", and it isn't a gradual proces - unlike those cases where I deliberately try to make sense of a text in a halfknown language. The latest - and most unexpected - case of this happened on the bus station in Varna, Bulgaria, where I sat on a bench listening to the the messages over the loudspeakers and I suddenly realised that I understood them. The strange thing is that I have never studied Bulgarian, so it was only my mediocre Russian that I could use as a tool. If I had tried to babble along I would not have understood anything, and I would have been late for my bus to Veliko Turnovo.

Edited by Iversen on 09 July 2008 at 7:35am

3 persons have voted this message useful

John Smith
Bilingual Triglot
Australia
Joined 5843 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 30 of 67
09 July 2008 at 6:03am | IP Logged 
I have never shadowed either. I had no idea it even existed before reading about it on this forum. I just watch movies, read books and talk to native speakers whenever I can.
2 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6351 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 31 of 67
09 July 2008 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
anteportas wrote:
LilleOSC wrote:
Shadowing is not easy to do.

Is it worthwhile at all? Judging by the results...

One could say the same about L-R, right siomotteikiru?

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6273 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 32 of 67
10 July 2008 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
anteportas wrote:
Is it worthwhile at all? Judging by the results...

What results?

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version