54 [47.79%]
You can not vote in this poll

67 messages over 9 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 8 9 Next >>
charlmartell
Super Polyglot
Portugal
Joined 6032 days ago

286 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: French, English, German, Luxembourgish*, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch, Italian, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 41 of 67
10 July 2008 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
anteportas wrote:
charlmartell wrote:
brisk keeps us awake, slow puts us to sleep, body and mind.

It certainly does not. If you really have to concerntrate on something creative, slow is the only possiblity. I usually lie down, so do many of my friends (mathematicians, astronomers).

I think you have misunderstood my "slow". Lying down or sitting is not slow, slow moving is. Concentrating on something creative is not slow, it entails actively searching for solutions.
And if sleep often brings a solution, it is only because our (subconscious) mind has been busy sorting things out while our body's been resting.

anteportas wrote:
Brisk walking might help you, indeed, if you choose to shadow something mechanical, like Assimil 'dialogues' - to prevent you from falling asleep.

I think I made it pretty clear that I don't believe in anything mechanical!
I like you, you want to help people (pro bono populo) and lots of what you say makes sense, but you refuse to listen to what other people want. It is quite clear that for most people communication with others is the primary goal, not reading 'good' literature. And for them "dialogues" are worthwhile, it all depends on how you tackle them. People that only have elevating conversations are far and few between, most of us talk an awful lot of trivial stuff most of the time. In Real Life. Deep philosophical conversations are what we had when we were 16+ years old, but even those often reverted back to talk about sex and/or football.
Assimil certainly doesn't prevent us from doing literature as well, it helps us with our first steps in a language. What's wrong with that?
L-R is very interesting, but what about people who, for one reason or another can't spend 10 hours a day on it? Siomotteikiru warned us that her method won't work unless
   1. We love the book and really know it well.
   2. The book is long. I love "Le Petit Prince" but, according to you, it is too short.
   3. We spend at least 70 hours on it, in one week.
I can't do that, nor can anyone else here, that I know of. In which case her method won't work. And whatever others may say, it doesn't. Unless they are geniuses. Though they would be more likely deluding themselves. And others into the bargain.

Edited by charlmartell on 10 July 2008 at 11:42am

1 person has voted this message useful

lancemanion
Triglot
United States
Joined 5360 days ago

150 posts - 166 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Thai
Studies: French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 42 of 67
31 August 2009 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
If you are falling asleep during study, walking around might help a little, but you probably need to change study
time. It may be hard, but try to study during a time of day that you are very alert. The body and mind goes through
cycles throughout the day.

So if you're already alert, will walking around give you an even better study session? Perhaps marginally. But the
disadvantages outweigh the slight benefit in my case.

snig
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5678 days ago

71 posts - 79 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 43 of 67
31 August 2009 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
shadowing is a waste of time,even shadowing your native language would be hard to do,listen and read at the same time whilst keeping up with the native speaker! if you can do that then I would say you don't need to be shadowing in the first place.
4 persons have voted this message useful

NB
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5322 days ago

42 posts - 45 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Japanese

Message 44 of 67
30 September 2009 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
I've started using it to smooth out my intonation in Korean. I've just begin using it, and have noticed that I focus a lot more on the sounds and how they're made rather than simply transcribing words on a page. Going to continue doing it for a few weeks and see how much progress I can make. I'm also recording myself to measure my results.

J-Learner
Australia
Joined 5818 days ago

556 posts - 636 votes 
Studies: Yiddish, English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 45 of 67
01 October 2009 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
I'm using shadowing and I'm having great successes with it...is in intrinsically a good or bad method?

It's my primary learning method and I spend most time on it...should all people do the same?

People accusing it of not reaching perfection are missing the entire point of language learning methods - will one method along bring perfection?

Just because something is hard - does that make it impossible or useless?

Just some questions to be answered by those who don't make self-deception a habit :)

You bunch are going to sit back and argue over the fantasy of finding an objectively perfect language learning method that works for everyone and all times...I'll get on with doing what works for me.

snig: you (like many others) haven't got a single clue what shadowing is...

peace, everyone :)

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5554 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 46 of 67
01 October 2009 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
lancemanion wrote:
If you are falling asleep during study, walking around might help a little, but you probably need to change study
time. It may be hard, but try to study during a time of day that you are very alert. The body and mind goes through
cycles throughout the day.

So if you're already alert, will walking around give you an even better study session? Perhaps marginally. But the
disadvantages outweigh the slight benefit in my case.

When I use the right material and love the subject, studying makes me become alert again, no matter how tired I have been before (well, unless I haven't slept for 30+ hours).
On the other hand, the wrong material makes me become tired and sleepy no matter how alert I have felt before.
However, moving, especially walking, makes me able to focus on material that is incredibly boring and doesn't fit my current level or advances to slowly, but that I have to learn nontheless.
Of course, not everyone is as ADD as I am, but it has been proven that aerobic exercise before studying increases the progress rate in school children, and I think the same is true for frequent short breaks that are spent moving around. Whether you are moving while you're studying or switching between the two is probably only a matter of preference.

This might be an explanation as to why.

snig wrote:
shadowing is a waste of time,even shadowing your native language would be hard to do,listen and read at the same time whilst keeping up with the native speaker! if you can do that then I would say you don't need to be shadowing in the first place.

It actually is quite easy and a good way to learn to imitate accents (and generally to annoy people). :3

Edited by Bao on 01 October 2009 at 9:58pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

lancemanion
Triglot
United States
Joined 5360 days ago

150 posts - 166 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Thai
Studies: French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 47 of 67
02 October 2009 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
That's odd. After I do hard exercise, such as running, swimming or biking I'm pretty much worthless for studying. I
lack motivation to do much of anything productive for quite a while. But I'm glad to hear moving around allows you
to study when you're bored. Another thing that helps me is a really short nap - I get up as soon as I feel myself
dozing off.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5554 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 48 of 67
02 October 2009 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
lancemanion wrote:
That's odd. After I do hard exercise, such as running, swimming or biking I'm pretty much worthless for studying. I
lack motivation to do much of anything productive for quite a while. But I'm glad to hear moving around allows you
to study when you're bored. Another thing that helps me is a really short nap - I get up as soon as I feel myself
dozing off.

Moderate exercise. There's a theorized sub-system within the executive functions that controls self-discipline. This doesn't have endless resources. Let's say you have 100 points of self-discipline. When you choose moderate exercise, you might only use 10 points, but hard exercise might substract some 80 points. When this is going to draw close to exhaustion, you start to make bad choices and decide to do the difficult tasks later or tomorrow, you are also more prone to indulge in guilty pleasures.
When you rest at such a time, it might re-charge somewhat, and up to about fully (sometimes say 95, sometimes 105) after a good night's sleep if you aren't stressed out.

When I jog, I don't have trouble concentrating afterwards. When I swim or do speed training/sprinting it means I'll be dead to the world (but happy).

I don't doze off. I get tired and then my mind starts to wander without me realizing it. :)

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version