Diglot
United States
Joined 5291 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 33 of 36
24 April 2010 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
My question about all these places outside of Russia is concerning to accent. Would a native Russian speaker be
able to tell "Oh he learned in Ukraine" or (if you're really good) "He comes from the Ukraine" ?
1 person has voted this message useful

AeOeUe
Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 5028 days ago

16 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Dutch
Studies: Russian

Message 34 of 36
15 August 2010 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
From what I hear, there are no very strong accents in Russian. Russians may say that Belarussians and Ukrainians all sound like farmers, but if you learn at a university here you will learn 'proper' Russian.

Regarding Minsk, I think if the language courses offered suit you, it's a good choice. Yes, you have to get a visa, but the Belarusian embassies are more ready to cooperate than you might think. In the summer months, there are now some tourists in Minsk, and occasionally you do hear English, but generally it's more on a level where every time you hear English makes you go "Woohoo, I'm not the only Westerner in this country"! Do not expect any clerks, policemen etc. to speak any English. If your Russian is very basic, you will encounter some troubles, but if you study at the linguistic university, you will certainly find some students of English all to eager to help you find your way around the city and practice their English.

I had some problems finding a suitable language course in Minsk since the offer is not as varied as in cities like Moscow or Peterburg. But the one I finally took was good, a small group and a very capable teacher. There are a number of foreign students here, mostly from China and Turkmenistan, not typically from countries where English is widespread so you will be forced to speak Russian most of the time.

Compared to Russia, Belarus is certainly cheaper and safer in terms of crime, and far less bribery than in Ukraine. But I would say it's best to come here if you are already somewhat conversational in Russian, otherwise you might feel quite isolated.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mthomp28
United States
Joined 4833 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 35 of 36
23 February 2011 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
I am considering Belarus as a place to study Russian during the summer. Do you know if the university had any homestay program available? Were you satisfied with the quality of instruction in Minsk? I would love to hear other details if possible.

Thanks!

МаркомаÐ
Russian Federation
Joined 4815 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 36 of 36
20 March 2011 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
There is one more advantage of Belorussia. Belorussians speak slowly.

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version