Russian Federation
Joined 6822 days ago

130 posts - 165 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: French, Czech

Message 41 of 66
14 December 2008 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
I am from Sweden, one of the few countries (maybe the one?) that has taken on Russia and won! (but we won't try that again just yet... ;-)

hey, you must be kidding, in my history class there was no such topic "we lost to Sweden" LOL I remember only "We won Sweden", there's even a new film about the end of that "North war" hehe.
www.slugagosudarev.com - official film site

Russia is a very complicated country, I think it's a real headache to rule it, no, it's a nightmare LOL
Russia has everything, it's the only country in the world which can leave on its own, but for some reasons, doesn't do it.
We have great culture, impressive, fascinating history and all the rest we import LOL

It's difficult to describe the country, I think, Wiki does it much better anyway :)

1 person has voted this message useful

Satoshi
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 5633 days ago

215 posts - 224 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 42 of 66
17 December 2008 at 8:42am | IP Logged 
Hey, russians, be proud! You've got Tolstoi and Dostoievski!

One of my dreams is to take the trans siberian railway, crossing Russia from end to end!

--

Well, I am from Brazil.

We`ve got plenty of natural resources: oil, uranium, water, all kinds of minerals, extreme agriculture potential, lots of trees.
Since it's such a huge country, there's a lot of regional differences. I myself am from São Paulo. Our northeast is very poor and desert-like, but the rest of the country is not as bad.
I guess the most characteristic thing about Brazil is its cultural richness: ever since we were conquered by the portuguese, all kinds of nationalities had their share into building our country, and this cultural blend kinda evolved into a culture of its own.
There's our carnival, a rip-off of the parisian one. Then there's capoeira, coming from the slaves. Candomblé, a weird mix between african rituals, beliefs and european concepts of religion. We have a very rich folklore (but we generally pay more atention to the European, lord-of-the-ring-ish one). We've got lots of music styles (bossa nova, samba, axé and so on).
We came up with brazilian jiu-jitsu, too. So, you see, we are like cultural sponges, absorbing whatever comes in contact with us, and that's why we don't really dislike anyone.

All this makes our country really huge and diverse. There's pratically no racism, since everyone has had a black man/woman somewhere his family tree. Everyone is extremely warm and welcoming. We touch a lot (kisses and hugs and so own, in a friendly way), we talk a lot, we make friends with just about anyone who crosses our path, which makes other countries look very very cold and antisocial to us.
We are pretty open-minded about most things. We are, in general, extremely proud of our women, even though they aren't really the goddesses to foreign eyes we think they are (I actually exclude myself from that: I like asian girls the most, not brazilian ones).

I guess what sums us up is "diversity" and "tolerance", we have pretty much all ethnic branches inside our country (we are, in fact, the second country with the most japanese, the first being obviously Japan... or so I am told).

Oh, we also have beautiful landscapes, though I can't really name them.

I only regret the way my country is portrayed internationally: carnival and prostitutes, and monkeys. I mean, our culture is so rich, and in so many ways... There's prostitutes everywhere, not just here!

And as you politic fans probably know, we do not make enemies out of anyone (at least we try not to).

One thing we do hate, though, is people confusing us with Spanish/mexican. The only thing that's remotely similar is the language.

And God, I do miss snow! It is a VERY VERY rare thing to happen here, and even when it happens, it is not like in the northern hemisphere, fluffy and white: it's just a pile of melting ice outside your door when you wake up (and it only happens to a few southern cities).
I myself have never seen snow, and the coldest temperature I have ever been exposed to was 5 degrees celsius (which is very rare, at least here where I live).

Alvinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6044 days ago

828 posts - 832 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 43 of 66
17 December 2008 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
Satoshi wrote:
I only regret the way my country is portrayed internationally: carnival and prostitutes, and monkeys. I mean, our culture is so rich, and in so many ways... There's prostitutes everywhere, not just here!

And as you politic fans probably know, we do not make enemies out of anyone (at least we try not to).

The way we've been portrayed worldwide is not fault of foreigners.....all right, Internet might have been the best option to get rid of some doubts about just a lack of information that has led us to make some mistakes, to make wrong statements about a certain place....even most Brazilians don't really know the country where they live in and then unfortunately they depend on media to fulfill their impressions about it....but the media is the main responsible to provide us with information, even though that's done in a wrong or bad intended way....

Just put the blame for that harsh reputation the country has around the world on the Brasilia's useless burocrats...they alledgelly haven't done a good job to advertise the country the way they really should do...we both know the high taxes (rip-off) we're forced to pay daily just goes straight to their pockets and in return nothing is left for us.

Alvinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6044 days ago

828 posts - 832 votes 

Message 44 of 66
17 December 2008 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
Satoshi wrote:
There's pratically no racism, since everyone has had a black man/woman somewhere his family tree. Everyone is extremely warm and welcoming. We touch a lot (kisses and hugs and so own, in a friendly way), we talk a lot, we make friends with just about anyone who crosses our path, which makes other countries look very very cold and antisocial to us.

I guess what sums us up is "diversity" and "tolerance", we have pretty much all ethnic branches inside our country (we are, in fact, the second country with the most japanese, the first being obviously Japan... or so I am told).

I've been around this country in the last three years and my view on this issue is different from yours....Racism doesn't only abound in the southern tip of the country as a bunch of dorks think as well as northeast is not the haven of racial harmony as that same fools believe, mainly some of them who are from S.Paulo, Rio, Brasilia and B.Horizonte.....obviously there's a "covered" racism in the northeast and north...plus, what it mustn't be put aside is that a "social prejudice" has been evident, but Rio de Janeiro and S.Paulo's media doesn't report it....that's why many Brazilians think racism only exists in the south as most locals have German, Italian, Polish, Ucranian or even Japanese roots.....however, black people are found across the region, but most Brazilians don't know about this fact...

Alvinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6044 days ago

828 posts - 832 votes 

Message 45 of 66
17 December 2008 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
Satoshi wrote:
Everyone is extremely warm and welcoming. We are, in general, extremely proud of our women, even though they aren't really the goddesses to foreign eyes we think they are

Warm and welcoming...not everyone, buddy.....it depends on anyone's interest.....if you think of the rest of our latin american brothers, the warmth and friendship is not the same....I've found the contrary....at least, coming from most Brazilians....

Our women are pretty hot and stunning as a result of an amazing racial mix, but we both know that that's all....you know what I mean?

Satoshi
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 5633 days ago

215 posts - 224 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 46 of 66
17 December 2008 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Well, I meant racism in the sense of skin color. I never really saw any kind of prejudice against black (or white, for that matter) people around here. Maybe it's a little different in another regions.

There is a lot of prejudice against the northeastern people, mostly because they live in a very poor area and tend to move to big cities looking for a better life.

---

About the warm and welcoming: there's individuality, obviously, but we are, in general, more warm and welcoming than most places.
I myself am considered a very isolated person, almost never leaving the house and having very few friends. Most people compare my behaviour to the typical finnish and japanese ones, when it comes to extroversion and social skills lol.

Frost
United States
Joined 5613 days ago

27 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Norwegian, Faroese, Greek

Message 47 of 66
03 March 2009 at 7:35am | IP Logged 
I guess I'll revive this thread because I found it an interesting read. I, too, am an American and live in the capital of the state of Massachusetts (Boston if you didn't know). Boston is oft-regarded as "where Europe meets America" because we have retained a lot of our history (Faneuil Hall, Old State House, etc). Also, Boston is a pretty small city and a lot of attractions (in a non-touristy way) are within comfortable walking distance. Weather here is amazing! We get days in the summer where it reaches over 100 degrees Fahrenheit while winter temperatures plummet to below 0 and we get several feet of snow.

Everyone here is a sports fan and a typical Bostonian gets very egotistical when someone mentions the very successful Boston sports teams. We also have a very noticeable "Bostonian accent": Bet we know some things you don't know. Like, what's a three decka? A packie? How about a rotary? Ever banged a U-ey? Worn dungarees or ordered a frappe?

We'd have a pissah time tryin' to stump ya, then make fun of ya behind ya back . . . but that's wicked mean. If you're really up for deciphering my accent:

Toboggan: Why we go to an auction

Khakis: What you need to start your car.

Propaganda: A gentlemanly goose.

Alarms : What an octupus is

Add the famous phrase: "Pack ya cah in Havud Yad (Park your car in Harvard Yard)," and you're almost there!

I hope I'm not boring you! Anyway, Western Massachusetts varies considerably with Boston. Everything in Boston is fast-paced, like any other city. Western Mass. is the part that gets buried in snow in the winter but has the most beautiful change of leaf color when the seasons change. Even as a Bostonian I go out to Western Mass. just to catch a look at it.

Well, I hope you've enjoyed this wicked shawt dose of Baaawstin!

Alvinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6044 days ago

828 posts - 832 votes 

Message 48 of 66
03 March 2009 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Satoshi wrote:
Well, I meant racism in the sense of skin color. I never really saw any kind of prejudice against black (or white, for that matter) people around here. Maybe it's a little different in another regions.

There is a lot of prejudice against the northeastern people, mostly because they live in a very poor area and tend to move to big cities looking for a better life.

---

About the warm and welcoming: there's individuality, obviously, but we are, in general, more warm and welcoming than most places.
I myself am considered a very isolated person, almost never leaving the house and having very few friends. Most people compare my behaviour to the typical finnish and japanese ones, when it comes to extroversion and social skills lol.

Warm and welcoming people in your hometown???.....huuuummmm...are you sure?.....if they were, I wouldn't work on an ongoing goodbye.......

Edited by Alvinho on 04 March 2009 at 5:07pm

This discussion contains 66 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version