A discussion about your country!

Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
66 messages over 9 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 9 Next >>
Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5478 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 57 of 66
28 May 2009 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
Hi Cordelia. You're absolutely right, in Luxembourg it is no big deal to speak 5 languages fluently, it is in fact quite natural for most people here. We're used to it since childhood. Everybody has to learn at least four languages at school (Luxembourgish, German, French, English) and it is possible to add one or two more (in most schools either ancient Greek or Latin and Spanish or Italian).
I don't know about any documentary about languages in Luxembourg, but here is a pretty good article: http://www.eu2005.lu/en/savoir_lux/societe_tradition/luxembo urgeois/index.php

We do have great biking tracks in Luxembourg. Biking is very popular here. Check out the "Sports" section on the website of the National Tourist Office http://www.ont.lu/spor-en-6-27.html

Iwwersetzerin does indeed mean translator in Luxembourgish, it's the female form, the masculine is Iwwersetzer. You guessed it, I'm a translator. :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Jon1991
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5174 days ago

98 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French, Russian

Message 58 of 66
06 October 2010 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
My country - the United Kingdom is made up of four countries (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland)

The U.K is a great place to visit as we have one of the richest histories in the world, hence, castles, palaces, monuments, cathedrals, Her Majesty The Queen, pubs, steam trains....Our small island colonised most of the world and spread our culture and language.

My countrys landscape is more varied than most people think as we have big cities such as London, Manchester and Glasgow, rolling farmland, moors, mountains in Scotland and Wales and arguably the most stunning coastline in the world. Shame that the weather is so bad! ^^

Stereotypes of British people are divided into two categories - the fantasist American view of Britain and the more realistic European and Commonwealth view of British people. Americans seem to actually believe that all British people speak with an accent that only 0000.1% of British people actually speak with, apparently we have bad teeth, wear monocles and are so snooty. But remember that too many Americans are crippled by ignorance to the outside world so I can't take them seriously. Other nationalities such as the French, Spanish, Germans etc are probably almost correct with their view of modern Britain - a failing economy, awful government and that many British people are drunk, loud and violent (I'm not one of these). I have been to Spain, France and Greece many times and the locals are actually suprised that I do not fit into their offensive stereotype of British people. But I can easily forgive them.

Blighty - the green and pleasant land, home of Shakespeare, Henry VIII, Sir Winston Churchill, Boudicca, Charles Darwin, Admiral Nelson, Football, The Beatles, Queen Victoria, Boxing and James Bond. What ever the stereotypes you hear about my country, don't go by these, make up your own opinion.

:)

Edited by Jon1991 on 06 October 2010 at 9:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5290 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, French, Japanese

Message 59 of 66
13 October 2010 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
Jon1991 wrote:
Americans seem to actually believe that all British people speak with an accent that only 0000.1% of British people actually speak with, apparently we have bad teeth, wear monocles and are so snooty.

False. You have 2 accents. Upper-class snoots, and working class "govna" types. Boil everything, eat odd food (tripe and mince pie... odd for an American).
:-P

I'm from Upstate NY. Land of... well... uh.. snow I guess. Shedloads of snow. Known affectionately as the rust belt. Dying economy, people leavin in droves...

Why the hell am I here?

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6279 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 60 of 66
14 October 2010 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
I am from Germany. The reason nobody has written about Germany yet is that most
educated Germans prefer to think of themselves as Europeans, and ministers have ruined
their career by saying they are proud to be German. There are also some regionalists,
but there is hardly anyone (apart from 3% Neonazis) who is actually patriotic about
Germany.

Yet, having traveled around a bit, I don't think it's quite bad. We have hearty food
and good beer... ;-) Seriously...
Germany has universal healthcare at affordable costs.
There's free education up to and including university in most cases.
You can actually reach a pretty high level in up to four foreign languages at public
schools.
People are respectful of each other's time, not arriving too late for appointments, and
public transport usually works without a hitch or a strike too.
We have flat areas, hilly regions and mountains, great forests and lakes, even the
seashore and a few islands (kept carefully hidden so foreigners won't know).
Germany calls itself "Land der Dichter und Denker" (country of poets and thinkers).
There is certainly a lot of literature, and also some of the greatest philosophers and
psychologists were German.
Germany doesn't have many non-exploited natural resources. The reason it has been and
is still able to compete with the USA and China for the title of world's top exporter
is because Germany is keeping ahead in know-how and craftsmanship, importing resources
and refining them or building stuff with them that others can't do as well.
Despite the stereotype, Germans are not workaholics; in fact Germany is among the
countries with the least amount of work hours per year. Starting out at a job you are
guaranteed 4 weeks of vacation time not counting public holidays or sick leave.

The only reason it still feels like a disadvantage to be born here is because it gives
anybody else on the internet the irrevocable right to ignore any serious
statement/argument a German might make, simply referencing the Third Reich.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 14 October 2010 at 12:16am

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5290 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, French, Japanese

Message 61 of 66
14 October 2010 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Germany is keeping ahead in know-how and craftsmanship, importing resources
and refining them or building stuff with them that others can't do as well.

As the now incarcerated Vince says "You know the Germans, they make good stuff."

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5765 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 62 of 66
20 October 2010 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
I live in Canada along with some +32 million other frost-bitten hose-heads and some
polar bears and other critters.   Some aspects of Canada are covered in the attached
videos below:

I am Canadian

I am Canadian beaver

Canadian Idiot

Canadian Code

NHL I am Canadian

Edited by Spanky on 21 October 2010 at 7:13am

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4955 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 63 of 66
16 November 2010 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
I am brzilian. I am living in Aracati. Here is many strangers. I often hear then
speaking languages like Danish, Dutch, among others - I saw a Thai and Korean girls other
day. The literary critician Harold Bloom said Brazil is a other world.
He´s the greatest linguistic unity in the world: in all it speak Portuguese with perfect
inteligibility and few people can speak an other language - I´m not still fluent in
English.
The foreign love the Brazil, and we love they.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4939 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 64 of 66
16 November 2010 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
Jon1991 wrote:

Stereotypes of British people are divided into two categories

As an American who's traveled a little bit, I've found that both Brits and Americans are often lumped into the same stereotypes, at least when it comes to expats living abroad. Neither group tends to speak more than English while abroad, and tend to gravitate towards English-only speaking businesses. For a bit of evidence of this, check out coastal southern Spain. Too many English-only speaking pubs and bars to mention. But I've also found this in other parts of Europe, as well as in South America.

R.
==

This discussion contains 66 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version