197 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese, English*, Japanese, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 44
08 August 2008 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
Alvinho wrote:
Aritaurus wrote:
Alvinho wrote:
Good deal, Olympia, to want to study Portuguese for some time before you come to Brazil.....

That's my goal also. It may take a few years but travelling is sure something that motivates me to learn a new language. By the way, is it possible to get by in English at all in Brazil ? I want to go to Rio de Janeiro in a year or two.

Only Rio???.....bear it in your mind Brazil is not only Rio.....there are more interesting places to visit....of course, I don't know about your demands, the kind of places you'd like to be enjoying.....beaches, hills, colonial towns, waterfalls, rivers, places for hiking.....obviously there aren't any big Brazilian cities which could be hailed as haven....violence has widespread everywhere....I don't mean to be downer....despite I hate Rio and most locals, I wouldn't tell you not to go there some day while you're travelling within my country, thus you yourself gotta draw your conclusions about it.....if you have spare time to stay in my country, don't limit your visit only to Rio even though I admit it would be required from you more days to stay here to visit the main tourist spots.

As for getting by only with English here....huuummmm....you'd better study Portuguese a lot before your trip because it's not that easy to come across people who handle English properly here......also a bunch of crafty guys like fooling tourists who have problems with language communication, especially in Rio and along the northeastern coast.

Yeah, I've heard that Rio is a potentially dangerous place to visit. Well, I am into the beach scene and I would definitely like to see some historical sites and some colonial towns. If I were to stay two or three weeks, what are some good places to visit outside of Rio ?

As for the language problem , I don't think I will go until I can at the very least get around in Portuguese for buying food, asking for directions and making basic conversation. That will probably take a year or two.

1 person has voted this message useful

Alvinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6022 days ago

828 posts - 832 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 18 of 44
08 August 2008 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
as for summer stunning coastal spots, I would recommend Florianopolis, Bombinhas, Paraty, Jericoacoara, Arraial do Cabo, Lencois Maranhenses National Park and Paraiba state's southern coast....

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6227 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 19 of 44
08 August 2008 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
Quote:

As for the language problem , I don't think I will go until I can at the very least get around in Portuguese for buying food, asking for directions and making basic conversation. That will probably take a year or two.

Why on earth would it take a year or two, unless you're not going to start until then?

Aritaurus
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6362 days ago

197 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese, English*, Japanese, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish

Message 20 of 44
08 August 2008 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Quote:

Why on earth would it take a year or two, unless you're not going to start until then?

If you read my post earlier, I said that I'll start on Portuguese when I'm reasonably conversational in Spanish. I'm still at the Beginner stage for Spanish so I don't think it would be wise to start learning Portuguese at this point.

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5910 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 21 of 44
08 August 2008 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone seen this series on HBO Latino? Mandrake

It takes place in Rio and I find it entertaining. The only thing I don’t like about it is that the original is in Portuguese but they dubbed it in Spanish and put English subtitles on it. I would much prefer to see it in the original Portuguese with Spanish subtitles.

Are there any good Brazilian movies or shows that I can watch in Portuguese with Spanish subtitles?

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6227 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 22 of 44
09 August 2008 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
Aritaurus wrote:
Volte wrote:
Quote:

If you read my post earlier, I said that I'll start on Portuguese when I'm reasonably conversational in Spanish. I'm still at the Beginner stage for Spanish so I don't think it would be wise to start learning Portuguese at this point.

Good reason. If I'd read your earlier post, I'd forgotten it. Sorry!

Good luck; they're both beautiful languages.

Linglot
Bilingual Octoglot
Spain
Joined 5840 days ago

23 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*, French, English, Esperanto, Portuguese, Italian, Galician
Studies: Russian, German, Occitan, Greek, Basque, Romanian, Polish, Arabic (Written), Dutch, Swedish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 23 of 44
11 August 2008 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
Portuguese is very close to Spanish, specially when seen by a non-Romance speaker. As it has been said, they are very similar when written, but pronunciation changes quite a lot, as Portuguese phonetics is richer. There are also a few major grammar points that are different, and false friends you have to be aware of.

It is usually easier for a Portuguese speaker to understand spoken Spanish than the other way round. To the point that some Spanish speakers understand Italian better than Portuguese, even if Portuguese is closer, because Italian has a 'clear' pronunciation too (vowels are more distinctively pronounced).

So to avoid mixing these languages, I can only say: try and master one first. :)

Edited by Linglot on 11 August 2008 at 2:41pm

ElfoEscuro
Diglot
United States
cyworld.com/brahmapu
Joined 6077 days ago

408 posts - 423 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 24 of 44
11 August 2008 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
Alvinho wrote:
as for summer stunning coastal spots, I would recommend Florianopolis, Bombinhas, Paraty, Jericoacoara, Arraial do Cabo, Lencois Maranhenses National Park and Paraiba state's southern coast....

I would like to add a recommendation for Balneário Camboriú.

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version