635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 73 of 161
12 November 2008 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
11/12/08

Morning

German

Did Anki reviews for the day. As an aside to myself, I think I'm going to add all of the words that I've covered thus far in NPRC to Anki. ~10 minutes.

Afternoon / Evening

German

Listened to Studenten im Rollstuhl again. ~15 minutes.

Russian

Assimil Russisch ohne Mühe - Listened to Lessons 8-13 again. ~12 minutes.

French

Assimil French with Ease - Listened to Lessons 57-64 again. ~14 minutes.

Edited by josht on 12 November 2008 at 10:15pm

1 person has voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6241 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 74 of 161
13 November 2008 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
11/13/08

Nothing. I'm sick yet again, and had to use what energy I had to study for a college exam.

adoggie
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 6328 days ago

160 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese*
Studies: German, Russian, French

Message 75 of 161
14 November 2008 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
This log was so helpful! I'm also learning the 3 languages you're studying, as well as Spanish. I thought Rocket German was really helpful, and I definitely like the Penguin Russian Course. I think the FSI series is really good as well (I have the German one). I will look into DW articles, as well as the various books you've mentioned. Keep it up!

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6241 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 76 of 161
14 November 2008 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
adoggie: Glad you found the log helpful.

11/14/08

Still feeling a bit down, so I didn't get nearly enough done today.

German

Listened to 2 Alltagsdeutsch podcasts: Müßiggänger and Geigenbauer. ~25 minutes.

Did Anki reviews. ~15 minutes.

French

Assimil French with Ease - Listened to Lessons 60-75 again. ~26 minutes.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6241 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 77 of 161
17 November 2008 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
I forgot to update this over the weekend, and I don't recall exactly what I did, but suffice to say, it wasn't much; perhaps a few hours total between all 3 languages.

11/17/08

German

Listened to Provinzleben, Müßiggänger podcasts from Deutsche Welle. ~25 minutes.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6241 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 78 of 161
20 November 2008 at 5:54am | IP Logged 
Just a note to any checking out my log: I'm no longer updating this. I'm still keeping a log, but I've switched over to paper format. I've been doing a lot more listening, and I've found that by the time I get around to sitting down at the computer, my memory of *exactly* what I did is getting fuzzy. How much radio did I listen to? Did I listen to that 20 minute podcast once or twice?

I realize I could use paper for on the go, and then update this, but honestly, that's just wasted work. My goal is to learn languages, not to obsessively maintain this log. ;) Perhaps I'll update it occasionally with overall progress reports.

Cheers.

Edit: Scrap all of that above. A number of people have now told me they've enjoyed reading the log, so I'm probably going to keep it going. It's probably better that I do, anyway; it being public, I think, is one thing that has made me so diligent in trying to keep track of what I'm doing. That diligence has led to more focus in my studies than I've normally had.

Edited by josht on 20 November 2008 at 9:01am

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6241 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 79 of 161
20 November 2008 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
11/20/08

Morning

German

Read Buch digital: Das E-Book, and added 5 or 6 items to Anki, based on material from the article. Understood the vast majority of it on the first read through, but there are a few words here and there that I don't know. ~10 minutes.

Finished adding any unknown words from Buch digital to Anki. ~10 minutes.

Read Der lange Kampf um Gleichberechtigung. Understood all of it. Need to nail down a few words from it though. ~5 minutes.

Started working on some word lists, but a friend showed up to talk to me. Only got through one block of words (7 words). Grr. :) ~5 minutes.

Evening

French

Assimil French with Ease - Active wave for Lessons 59-61. While I'm still unsure as to how much I'm actually gaining from the active wave, I figure I've gone this far, and might as well finish it. If nothing else, when I'm done, I'll be able to give an honest opinion of how far the course took me, using it in the fashion they recommend. ~40 minutes.

Jumped ahead and reread Lesson 73, as I've been hitting it regularly in my recent listening sessions (which sadly, I didn't log), and there was a bit at the end that I couldn't understand at all. It was apparently due, in part, to the usage of "leur" in one sentence, but with two separate meanings - "their" and "them". ~3 minutes.

German

Listened to Schlaflos in München #482. Understood around 60-70% of it. Mostly a vocabulary issue, not a matter of not being able to keep up with Annik's rapid fire speech, which is a welcome change. I used to not be able to keep up with her at all. ~40 minutes.

Edited by josht on 20 November 2008 at 8:25pm

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6241 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 80 of 161
21 November 2008 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
11/21/08

Morning

German

Listened to Folge 1 of Detekti Suni & Partner. ~20 minutes.

Afternoon / Evening

German

Caught up on Anki reviews. ~15 minutes.

Russian

Assimil Russisch ohne Mühe - Listened to Lessons 9-16 twice. ~30 minutes.

Edited by josht on 21 November 2008 at 7:44pm

This discussion contains 161 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version