Diglot
United States
Joined 6240 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 49 of 161
17 October 2008 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
glidefloss: Well, I don't get very many opportunities to *speak* German, but if placed in a German speaking country, I'd say I'd be fine after a day or two for my knowledge to be "activated", as it were.

For French and Russian, I'd be in trouble. I'm to the point where I can think a few things in French, but I'm not conversational with it yet. My Russian is even lower on the list. I've not been studying it actively for very long at all, and it's slow going for me. I know some set phrases, and a smattering of words, and that's about it.
1 person has voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6240 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 50 of 161
17 October 2008 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
10/17/08

Afternoon

French

Assimil French with Ease - Listened to Lessons 20-26. ~15 minutes.

Evening

French

Assimil French with Ease - Listened to Lessons 27-38. ~20 minutes.

Russian

Assimil Russisch ohne Mühe - Reread Lessons 13-15. Did Lesson 16, including listening to it 6 times. I tried to shadow it some, but ended up just tripping over my tongue, as the lesson isn't familiar enough to me yet. I need to look up a few words in my dictionary, as I'm unclear as to their meaning based on the German equivalent. ~45 minutes.

German

Did Anki reviews. ~10 minutes.

Listened to the Alltagsdeutsch podcast, Provinzleben. ~15 minutes.

Edited by josht on 17 October 2008 at 9:46pm

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6240 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 51 of 161
20 October 2008 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
Weekend of 10/18/08 - 10/19/08

I had a rather busy weekend, and failed to update my log regularly. So, I'm doing this from memory, mostly to get a rough idea of what I did:

French

Michel Thomas French for Beginners - I wanted to give Michel Thomas a try, as so many people seem to like his courses. I did the first two CDs of the course, and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't really learn a great deal of new material, as I've gone through all of the passive wave with Assimil, but I still found that I liked the teaching method. It also got my actually producing French, which has been a concern of mine with Assimil. The only great negatives: 1) the female student on the course seems to really struggle along, which is frustrating - I want to shout at her, "it's this way, he's told you 15 times!"; 2) Michel Thomas has some peculiar noises which seem to constantly come from his mouth. I read elsewhere that this is due to false teeth. Oh well.

Assimil French with Ease - Active wave for 26, 27; reread lesson 28.

German

Some article reading, a few word lists, and some dictionary browsing for fun.

Russian

Absolutely nothing. Alas!

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6240 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 52 of 161
21 October 2008 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
10/20/08

German

Worked with some word lists. ~30 minutes.

French

Assimil French with Ease - Active wave for 29, 30. ~15 minutes.

Russian

NPRC - Reread some sections of chapter 9, on the genitive case. Did a few exercises orally. ~20 minutes.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6240 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 53 of 161
21 October 2008 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
10/21/08

Morning

German

Reviewed some word lists; worked on a new one. I'm going to finish up Level 1 of the animal section in Using German Vocabulary, and then move through each Level 1 of all of the units. Once I've learned all of those I'll go back and pass through doing Level 2; and ultimately, Level 3. This should be more efficient than the way I've been approaching it, which has been quite haphazard. ~1.15 hours.

French

French with Michel Thomas - Listened to CD 3. While I"m enjoying it and have learned a few new things, I'm quite ready to strangle the woman. The British man catches on quickly, and has decent pronunciation; the woman keeps making the same mistakes over and over, and doesn't seem capable of remembering anything for longer than 5 minutes. Very irritating to hear her make a mistake, have Michel correct her, and then her make the exact same mistake. ~1 hour.

Afternoon

French

Assimil French with Ease - Reviewed active wave for Lesson 30, did active wave for Lessons 31, 32, 33. ~1 hour.

Evening

Russian

Assimil Russisch ohne Mühe - Listened to Lessons 8-12 twice each; listened to 13-18 once each. ~30 minutes.

Looked over tables of Russian noun declensions in my copy of Katzner's dictionary. While I didn't memorize anything, I did notice that there was a lot of patterns to be picked up on. Looking over the endings, I'd say Nicholas J. Brown's remark in NPRC is correct: the grammar is rather straight forward to learn, it's the vocabulary that's going to be a pain. As I noted while listening to my Assimil lessons again this evening, I've forgotten a number of words again. Anyway, regarding my listening this evening: ~30 minutes.

Edited by josht on 21 October 2008 at 8:37pm

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6240 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 54 of 161
22 October 2008 at 9:25am | IP Logged 
10/22/08

Morning

French

Assimil French with Ease - Relistened to Lessons 34-43. ~15 minutes.

Lunch / Afternoon

Russian

NPRC - Worked on chapter 9, studying the genitive endings some more. I still don't have them mastered, but I'm making progress. Also read over the vocabulary list, which I need to learn. I also think I need to go back and review all of the previous vocabulary lists; a lot of words are cropping up that I recognize, but don't know. ~1.5 hours.

Evening

French

Assimil French with Ease - Listened to Lessons 44-49 again; did active wave for 34, reread Lesson 35, active wave for 36, started active wave for 37, but wasn't able to finish. ~45 minutes.

Edited by josht on 23 October 2008 at 10:36am

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6240 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 55 of 161
23 October 2008 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
10/23/08

Morning

French

Assimil French with Ease - Active wave for Lessons 37, 38. ~30 minutes.

---

Forgot to update the log for the rest of this day, and I've gone and forgotten what else I did. Sigh.

I know one thing was doing a good deal of my Anki reviews, which I've fallen a bit behind on. ~20 minutes.

Edited by josht on 24 October 2008 at 4:14pm

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6240 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 56 of 161
24 October 2008 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
10/24/08

Morning

Russian

Russian for Beginners (Duff) - Reread Lesson 10; read Lesson 11; started on Lesson 12.

French

Assimil French with Ease - Reread Lessons 38-40.

German

Flipped through my pocket dictionary a bit, perusing words I'd like to learn. While this is certainly "informal", I still think it has some learning value, so I'm going to include it. ~10 minutes.

Afternoon

French

Assimil French with Ease - Listened to Lessons 38-41 again. ~10 minutes.

German

Some more dictionary flipping. Can you tell I just got my pocket dictionary, and am quite enjoying it? ~10 minutes.

Evening

French

Assimil French with Ease - Listened to Lessons 40 - 60 again. ~35 minutes.
- Active wave for Lesson 39. ~10 minutes.

Edited by josht on 24 October 2008 at 7:16pm

This discussion contains 161 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version