Joined 6240 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 113 of 161
07 January 2009 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
1/7/09

French

Assimil French with Ease - I reviewed Lesson 83 again, this time writing it out and looking up (and writing down) any unknown words. I then reviewed Lesson 85 (just by reading / speaking out loud). Around an hour total, as the writing out of Lesson 83 was slow going.

German

I listened to around an hour of German radio from Deutsche Welle.

Caught up on my Anki reviews; around 250 cards total. This is still under German, but where I'm adding more and more French from Assimil, my Anki sessions are truly starting to become multilingual, heh.

I listened to Biblisches in der Sprache while exercising; I still need to read through it and pick out, alas, a bunch of words I didn't know. It's a never-ending battle...

Russian

Assimil Russisch ohne Mühe - Reviewed Lesson 26 in the book, and went through Lesson 27 for the first time (read it twice, then listened to it three times while reading the Russian). The next lesson is a review lesson, and I think I may pause on it, taking time to run back through all of the previous lessons quickly, before moving on to 29.

Edited by josht on 07 January 2009 at 9:58pm

1 person has voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6240 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 114 of 161
10 January 2009 at 7:59am | IP Logged 
The past few todays (yesterday and the day before) weren't wonderful language learning days. I listened to some Assimil lessons that I'd already covered, and did a few short word lists for French. Other than that, not a whole lot going on. I'm going to try and get much more done today.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6240 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 115 of 161
12 January 2009 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
1/12/09

I ended up not getting much done over the weekend, due to a bizarre occurrence: I developed an extremely bad tooth / jaw ache, and spent most of the weekend in agony, in bed, hoping pain meds would actually do something. I managed a few French word lists using Mastering French Vocabulary, and I reviewed some past lessons in Assimil French with Ease, but that's about it. I'm now armed with real pain medicine (and orders to visit my dentist ASAP), so hopefully today will be slightly better.

Okay, a recap of today:

Russian

I was able to get lots done with Russian today. I spent a few hours with Russisch ohne Mühe, reviewing earlier lessons, focusing a lot on the review lessons (7, 14, 21, 28). I really like how each review directs you back to various notes from earlier lessons, e.g.: "Vergleichen Sie: Lektion 22 (1), (4); Lektion 15 (5), (3); Lektion 8 (1), (7)." The numbers are random (i.e., I didn't actually look it up in my text right now), but hopefully it gets the idea across. More or less, the review lessons force you to dip back into former lessons and pay attention to the grammatical notes.

While working on reviewing, I looked up a number of words in my Katzner dictionary, due to me being unsure as to how to take the German equivalent given in the text.

French

Not a great deal of interesting stuff to report, but progress was made. I spent about 45 minutes working on word lists, pulling words from the Mastering French Vocabulary, specifically from the Mental Processes / Thinking section.

German

Not much, other than the exposure I got while working with Russisch ohne Mühe, which I suppose wasn't exactly neglible.

Edited by josht on 12 January 2009 at 10:03pm

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6240 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 116 of 161
16 January 2009 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
This was my first week of spring semester classes at university, and the week has thus proven to be an utter disaster for my language learning. I'm very seriously considering scrapping the log altogether now; I'm obviously not doing a very good job at actually updating it. :)

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6240 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 117 of 161
17 January 2009 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
Earlier this week, I continued reviewing Assimil Russisch ohne Mühe, notably Lessons 26 and 27, which I still needed to work on. While listening to them without looking at the text, I didn't understand a lot of the words. I also reviewed some more of my French with Ease, and dabbled a bit with the first few lessons of Using French.

1/17/09

German

I wrote to my tutor again (as I did yesterday). I'm also working diligently on catching up on my Anki reviews, which I fell quite far behind on during this first week of classes. When I opened the program today, I had over 500 cards to review. I'm now down to 200, which I'll chip away at today.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5945 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 118 of 161
19 January 2009 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
Don't abandon your log, please. :-)

scop
Diglot
Groupie
Ireland
Joined 5643 days ago

70 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*, Irish
Studies: German, Ancient Greek

Message 119 of 161
19 January 2009 at 6:00am | IP Logged 
You should keep it. There are not many people taking on three languages at once that we can watch and think maybe I should or should not try. Even if it is just to tell us don't try it it would be nice to see how you progress or whether one language disappears etc.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6240 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 120 of 161
19 January 2009 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
Daragh, Scop: Fair enough. I actually enjoy doing the log, I just keep forgetting to actually do it. :-)

-----

A few other items from the weekend, which I'll add here rather than editing the above post:

German

Caught up on the pile of Anki reviews that I'd ignored during the first week of classes. ~400 items reviewed.

Read a few pages in Der Rettende Weg, which I got again via the interlibrary loan service at my university.

Read a few articles at Deutsche Welle, Lesen mit den Fingern and Im Osten nichts Neues.

French

I did some more word lists from Mastering French Vocabulary, about half a page full, so I suppose that would be around 50 or 60 words. I also worked a bit on the Imparfait using French Ultimate Review and Practice.

Assimil - Reread a number of lessons in the 80s (alas, I don't recall which ones), and listened to a number of them on my MP3 player. Despite all of my reviewing, I still feel as if I'm not getting all out of the Assimil book / audio as I could. I think I should probably return to something I dabbled with previously, which was writing out the lesson and annotating it.

Russian

Assimil Russisch ohne Mühe - Reviewed Lessons 26 and 27 in the book again. I think I have 26 down now; 27 could use a little more love. After I have it down, I'm going to go on ahead with Lesson 29.

Spanish

I think I may have lost my sanity... While doing grocery shopping Saturday evening, I listened to Lessons 1 - 6 of Michel Thomas's Spanish course. Assimil's Spanish course is on the way in the mail, thankfully - if his Spanish pronunciation is anything like his French, it's not particularly something I'd want to model my own pronunciation on. :-)

This discussion contains 161 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version