Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4278 days ago

45 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 170 of 181
25 August 2012 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
Wow, awesome post. I just read it from beginning to end.
I am currently in Chengdu, China. I studied abroad here last year, and met a wonderful Chinese girl. So I moved back here to spend 2 years while she finishes her college career. In the meantime, I hope to become fluent within those 2 years. Of course, here everyone speaks Sichuan hua, and is very shy about using Mandarin. So it presents its own set of challenges.

You have inspired me greatly. I definitely intend on incorporating your advice and methods to myself. One question, you spent a lot of time learning how to write. Do you consider that a wise investment of your time still? Because in this digital age, a lot of input is through computers.
2 persons have voted this message useful

AI
Joined 4258 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: SpanishB2

Message 171 of 181
02 September 2012 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
irrationale wrote:
So I really can't believe this, but I am going to learn Mandarin.

I say "I can't believe" because I never thought I would be learning this language, even a month ago. Then again, I never thought I would be learning Spanish either, but about 4.5 months ago I started that out of a same urge, and now I am having complete conversations. So now I have this incredible urge to learn Mandarin that came out of nowehere, and I think to myself; well, it can't be too hard right? :)

My goal is complete fluency in all forms. As far as my goal is right now, this means 6000+ words and fluent conversation ability. In the future it may mean total native like fluency. I really don't care how long it takes me. I am honest with myself; if I get bored of it, or for whatever reason don't have the "urge", I will stop without regret. However, the urge for Spanish never died so I don't see that happening....

My method is going to be divided into spoken and written Mandarin. My method for spoken is going to be roughly the same as it has been for Spanish; start with Pimsleur I, II, and III to build a "speaking center", and then fill out the language with advanced and more complete materials.

However, several things stand in my way. First, unlike Spanish, I have no native speakers to practice with. LiveMocha will be instrumental in this aspect, or I will try to find a club somewhere around Seattle. Second, since FSI doesn't have (to my knowledge) a complete Mandarin like Platiquemos, it is unclear exactly I am going to fill out the language. The method for writing is also unclear at this point. I know I want to have a firm base on what the words mean that I am seeing before I learn tons of characters, but beyond that I don't know. Still, this is better than school, which is worthless for languages as far as I can tell.

Well, into the great unknown I go...

1 person has voted this message useful

AI
Joined 4258 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 172 of 181
02 September 2012 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
your post has been really inspirational as said by all. Im now just leaving Beijing after 6 months. I certainly havent had the same experience as you. There are language bandits at every turn and all the girls are wise now to Western guys...Times are a changing...I feel like Ive started learning Mandarin at exactly the wrong time. Im preping for L4 HSK. The books I have are awesome, which I got from the great bookshop in Wangfujin. You are probably L6 now...

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4317 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 173 of 181
03 September 2012 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
Vegemighty wrote:
Wow, awesome post. I just read it from beginning to end.
I am currently in Chengdu, China. I studied abroad here last year, and met a wonderful Chinese girl. So I moved back here to spend 2 years while she finishes her college career. In the meantime, I hope to become fluent within those 2 years. Of course, here everyone speaks Sichuan hua, and is very shy about using Mandarin. So it presents its own set of challenges.

You have inspired me greatly. I definitely intend on incorporating your advice and methods to myself. One question, you spent a lot of time learning how to write. Do you consider that a wise investment of your time still? Because in this digital age, a lot of input is through computers.

Learning to write should be a means to an end, and not what you strive for. You should write characters to help you remember them more (if they do indeed help you remember them more easily), however it's not necessary to be able to write anything but basic Chinese. Don't feel bad if you can't write everything you can read. It's normal for everyone, native or not.

Almost everything is done through pinyin input now. Just learn enough to fill out doctor's forms, small notes, grocery lists, etc.

Good luck!

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5840 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 174 of 181
04 December 2012 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
Hello!!!!!!!!!!!

After a hiatus of sorts, I have returned. I've been in China for more than a year now
and my thoughts on language learning have definitely been updated. There is a lot
of things in this thread that, looking back, were mistakes.

Several people have contacted me asking for advice: I don't claim to be some sort
of expert, but I will answer any questions the best I can.

3 persons have voted this message useful

AI
Joined 4258 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 175 of 181
04 December 2012 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
you live in the philipines? So your language has huge smatterings of Spanish and there are massive Mandarin influences to the language and culture as well! Phew! I dont feel so bad now...

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5749 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 176 of 181
04 December 2012 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
irrationale wrote:
Hello!!!!!!!!!!!

After a hiatus of sorts, I have returned. I've been in China for more than a year now and my thoughts on language learning have definitely been updated. There is a lot of things in this thread that, looking back, were mistakes.

Welcome back irrationale! So what were you doing in China? How has that changed your Mandarin skills? And what would you have done differently regarding learning Mandarin?

Edited by Snowflake on 04 December 2012 at 3:35pm

This discussion contains 181 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version