United States
Joined 4938 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 177 of 181
12 February 2013 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
Awesome...welcome back :)

In the past I have always used Logic (for OSX) to extra audio. How on earth did you put
up with Audacity?? Serious question though: do you know of a more efficient way to
extract audio using Audacity other than the process I have marked below?

1. Select audio region to "cut" out.
2. Press CTRL+I to split the selected audio region's boundaries.
3. Hold CTRL and click-drag that region into the Audio Track below it. (If the audio
track doesn't exist, create it! This will be an area to hold the audio we will later
speed up, extract, etc)

4. Do steps 1-3 a ton of times until you have extracted all of the questions and
answers that you want for your audio cards.

5. Double-click the audio region to select it.
6. Click File -> Export Selection
7. Give the file a different name other than the files that already exist in the
directory.
8. Hit ENTER / RETURN to save the file.
9. Move onto next audio region that you want to export...

Steps 5 through 9 just take wayyyy too much time, especially if you have about 50 audio
regions that you want to export! I already know that #6 can be shortened by assigning
that menu item a keyboard shortcut (via Edit -> Preferences -> Keyboard). Step #7 is
just an annoying extra... Are there any keyboard shortcuts you have come across along
the way of making audio flash cards? What is your extraction process? If this was your
exact process, oh man...then I am so sorry to hear that...and I will be abandoning
Audacity asap. Hehe.

I know to answer this might take a bit of time...but any web links or quick words of
wisdom for making these question/answer audio files with Audacity would be greatly
appreciated :)
1 person has voted this message useful

racebannon
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4674 days ago

41 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 178 of 181
27 February 2013 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
Hi,

I am hoping you would write a detailed post here that shares what you now think were the mistakes you made and what you would have done differently during the first 18 or so months you studied Mandarin.

Thanks so much!

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5840 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 179 of 181
22 October 2013 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone.

I've gotten some requests to say specifically what I would have done differently if I
had started learning the language now. Sorry about the long unexplained haitus and
leaving behind an unresolved answer.

I'll make it brief, because basically, like many here, I've boiled down my language
learning skills to a few basic principles. If you want to know the reason behind them
read the explanation.

1) YesAJATT/10000 sentence method WORKS.

I've always wondered if pure input, without any pressure on speaking works, and the
answer is, yes, it does. At least for me. Caveat; like proponents of this method say,
you must force yourself to activate your passive structures, and you must progress from
the simplest sentences to difficult ones in a reasonable manner, for example, sentences
out of a textbook. Learning grammar can
help, but isn't necessary.

So If I were learning Chinese now, I would simply do all input with no translation like
I did in the beginning. Translation is largely a waste of time, can result in
inauthentic language, and become almost impossible in some cases requiring a unique
translation when there isn't one. So don't do it.

In the beginning, always try to get audio with the sentences

This will provide the foundation for your accent, listening ability, and other things.
Of course you don't have to use audacity like I did, you can listen to material out of
a textbook, etc. Later you can relax on this. It requires a feel of when you are
ready to read sentences without audio. I usually put the first 1000 or 2000 with
audio. I did this when I started to learn Chinese, but
just wanted to put it here for completeness.

Know when to ween yourself from the sentences

Antoher problem I had. I didn't know when to ween myself off of the sentences. At one
point, I had a steady Chinese "environment" in the states (Chinese TV, friends, etc).
I should have stopped with the sentences and let the environment take over, but I was
"afraid" to let go of my precious sentences. So know when to say no. I would say that
whenever you have a steady, multifaceted environment going, and you can understand
enough to patch the main idea together (a popular number thrown around is 85%, however
you want to measure that) you can finally just delve into the environment and let go of
the sentences. The sentences are always meant just to be a subistitute mini
environment to get you to the real deal, not the be all end all. Like a boster of a
rocketship, you have to eject it in order to get to space( ok enough analogies).   

get as native as possible as early as possible

Try to encounter the most native environments (TV, books, anything) as early as you
can. This requires a feel of readiness that comes with experience, but don't want
until forever, (or about 6 months like I did to watch my first Chinese TV) to do it.
At least get subtitles, bilingual, music,etc.

wait to practice writing characters

I think this goes with any language. Wait a while before going to study writing, if at
all. Writing Chinese is an enormous amount of work compared to the relatively easy
task of reading it. Only those who are truly interested should attempt it (it's a
lifelong commitment that will involve constant practice, Chinese people out of school
for a long time often forget many characters), and I would recommend not starting from
the beginning like I did, but waiting until you can read fluently. By that time, you
will have seen the characters many many times and the groove in your mind will be ready
to rememeber them, and will do so much more easily.

don't try to be a badass and speak to early, too fast, etc

A problem I had. To prove how awesome I was, I would try to speak really fast and
"native", speak too soon, before I knew what I was saying, say too many 成语,etc.
Antimoon makes a similar recommendation. Just don't. I think the reasons are obvious.

So that's it. A common thread to all of my new realizations is the massive importance
of INPUT. When I first started, I was of the school of output is more important, or
"speak as much as you can and see what happens". Now, after seeing what happened after
I got to China, and how I learned from the environment, I am firmly in the input school
of thought following Krashen.   

Nowadays, I use the sentence method (with audio for the first 2000
sentences or so) for any language I learn. I either get Assimil and rip the sentences
from there, or a buy a textbook with audio, etc. I'm learning Ancient Greek at the
moment and the process is the same (but much faster since I don't have to speak). For
Greek, I did have to finally reference some grammar for the cases, being my first
heavily inflected language.

If you have any questions send my a PM, but a warn you that I'm quite busy, so it may
take a while to respond.

edit: added "let go of the sentences"
edit: spelling mistakes...

Edited by irrationale on 22 October 2013 at 1:37pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5840 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 180 of 181
22 October 2013 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
Snowflake wrote:
irrationale wrote:
Hello!!!!!!!!!!!

After a hiatus of sorts, I have returned. I've been in China for more than a year now
and my thoughts on language learning have definitely been updated. There is a lot of
things in this thread that, looking back, were mistakes.

Welcome back irrationale! So what were you doing in China? How has that changed your
Mandarin skills? And what would you have done differently regarding learning Mandarin?

Right now I'm a student at a Chinese university studying ancient Chinese and Western
literature, sort of like libral arts but with a mix of the two cultural traditions.
Hence the Ancient Greek. It's a lot of fun! How is the Chiense going?

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5840 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds

Message 181 of 181
22 October 2013 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
aerozeplyn wrote:
Awesome...welcome back :)

[...]

I know to answer this might take a bit of time...but any web links or quick words of
wisdom for making these question/answer audio files with Audacity would be greatly
appreciated :)

Well, let's just say that I was a little bit of a masochist in the beginning. Yes, I
did it like that. Perhaps I got fast at it. Select, export, name, save, drag into
Anki. Over and over. I "only" did it for about 2000 cards, but it was definitely a
lot of work. Was it worth it? I would say yes because you have that audio for life,
or as long as you want to use the sentences. But there are definitely other ways to do
it, and I'm sure you can think of better ones.

These days I would just say to find sentences on the net with audio, so you can just
download and drag, and copy and past text. Where? Chinespod is basically a huge bank
of sentences with audio. I don't know why I looked down on Chinesepod back then, I
should have just used it.

This discussion contains 181 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version