Bilingual Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5712 days ago

269 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian*, French, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 81 of 204
11 December 2008 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
eddina, what inspired you to take such an interest in Germanic languages?
1 person has voted this message useful

eddina
Triglot
Poland
Joined 5973 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Polish*, NorwegianC1, English
Studies: German, Danish

Message 82 of 204
11 December 2008 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
I had to learn English and German at school and I enjoyed a lot studying both (what I can't say about my short but painful flirt with French back in primary school), so it looks like it's just some kind of undefinied attraction to the way Germanic languages sound, I guess. Another argument for this may be that I instantly fell in love wih Norwegian the moment I first heard it, and decided to make it into my future profession. Now I've been studying Norwegian at the university for almost 5 years and recently I started working as a translator.
The melody of the Scandinavian languages is simply adorable - apart from Danish perhaps, as it has no proper melody, or tune for that matter, but still it sounds nice to me. And yes, I'm taking up Swedish next week. Can't wait for that already!

Hype
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5624 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 83 of 204
11 December 2008 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
I'm actually new to this forum, hoping to learn something :)

I speak Norwegian, it's my mother tongue. I speak both Bokmål and Nynorsk able to speak with quite a few accents as well.
I speak English fluently, I'm currently trying to pick up a Scottish accent.
I also speak French, German and Swedish. (and I'm also able to understand everything Danish people say, but can't pronounce the words since they got this weird twist)
I know the Russian alphabet,

My current goal is to continue learning French to a fluently level and then Latin and Russian and/or Japanese.

And I'm 17 years old.

dizzycloud
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6395 days ago

88 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Turkish

Message 85 of 204
12 December 2008 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
Hype wrote:
I'm actually new to this forum, hoping to learn something :)

I speak Norwegian, it's my mother tongue. I speak both Bokmål and Nynorsk able to speak with quite a few accents as well.
I speak English fluently, I'm currently trying to pick up a Scottish accent.
I also speak French, German and Swedish. (and I'm also able to understand everything Danish people say, but can't pronounce the words since they got this weird twist)
I know the Russian alphabet,

My current goal is to continue learning French to a fluently level and then Latin and Russian and/or Japanese.

And I'm 17 years old.

Welcome to the forum :) :)
May I ask why you're trying to pick up a Scottish accent??? :S That seems bizarre to me..I understand that it's one of the hardest varieties of English to understand (to most English natives) so it'd be easier to understand other English accents, but English pronunciation is hard enough alone without trying to make life harder for yourself! Sometimes the natives have trouble understanding the Scots, so I can't imagine a foreigner with a Scottish accent will make many people able to understand you as well? I'm not attacking you by saying this, it's just my 2 cents!

Edited by dizzycloud on 12 December 2008 at 8:44am

arbigelow
Tetraglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5679 days ago

89 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchC1, German, Spanish

Message 86 of 204
12 December 2008 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
I'm 16

English: Native

French: started learning it at 7 years old like most every Canadian but really didn't learn much at all until I was 12 when I moved to Ottawa. From 12-14 I went to a french school and got to about basic fluency. Before that I would've been hard pressed to say "I'm wearing a t-shirt" ;) Unfortunately, at 15 I moved back to the same small town in BC which is about as unilingually English as it's possible to get. I didn't use my french at all for a year and lost quite a bit of it. Fortunately, this year I came to french-speaking Switzerland as an exchange student and have become even better at french than I was in Ottawa. Btw Switzerland is one of the most BEAUTIFUL countries in the world and if you're looking for a unique immersion experience with very kind people, this is the place to go. My only negative comment about coming here is that I now find it harder to understand the Quebec accent than when I lived in Ottawa, but I think that'll come back if/when I choose to study there for university.

German: My host family here in Switzerland, although living in the french part, speaks swiss German as well as high German and they've been helping me with the language. I also finished MT and am about halfway through Assimil and have started FSI. I'd say I'm around advanced beginner.

Spanish: I take it in school here but won't do too much studying of it until I have a good grounding in German.

Btw sorry if I'm making tons of mistakes in English but since coming here, my English has really gone downhill, which I think is a good thing;)

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5695 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 87 of 204
12 December 2008 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
Hi arbigelow

we're the same age :-)

It sounds great that you're an exchange studnet and live with a family in Switzerland. I've a German penpal and we want to make an exchange as well, but I don't know when, and it would be only one week. For how long time will you be in switzerland?

arbigelow
Tetraglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5679 days ago

89 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchC1, German, Spanish

Message 88 of 204
12 December 2008 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
Jar-ptitsa wrote:
For how long time will you be in switzerland?

I'm here for the full year - till July 2009.

Edited by arbigelow on 12 December 2008 at 10:14am

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version