Driveuplife
United States
Joined 5109 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 121 of 204
21 May 2010 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
20 years old, 30 days from my 21st birthday.

English: Native
Mandarin Chinese: Beginner. Been studying for 2 1/2 months.

This thread is depressing. Seeing people in their 20's knowing more than four languages while I'm just beginning my own journey is both inspirational and saddening in a way. I've got a loooong way to go, but then again I'm freakin 20. So it's not such a big deal.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6746 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 122 of 204
21 May 2010 at 4:41am | IP Logged 
I will be 24 next month.

English - native.

German - the first language of much of my family. I started trying to teach myself through library materials (cassette tapes, if anyone can remember those!) at age 9, but of course did not get so far despite my perseverance, and took it up again as a high school/university subject from ages 14-21 which of course was a waste of my time and I regrettably could not get past an intermediate level after all those years. During that last year or so of my 'German period' is when I came across this site in its infancy, and started experimenting with new methods. I was actually starting to get somewhere until I decided to shelve it and focus exclusively on Japanese at age 21. I look forward to taking it up again soon (I have a one-year challenge scheduled from January 2011) armed with an arsenal of new insights and refreshed enthusiasm! (to summarize: age 9-25)

Japanese - began self-studying when I was 14, and was dabbling with it all throughout high school; unfortunately, though, I had the idea that 'serious' language study can only be done in a classroom, so I didn't put much serious effort into it at the time, thinking I would learn it in college. I chose it as my main language of focus for my Linguistics degree, but the classes were largely a waste of time and even a distraction from real learning. Let's just say that things have gone up since I started taking my studies into my own hands, and I hope to reach that 'native-like' level and be able to focus on my next language by the end of this year. (to summarize: age 14-24)

Spanish - Scheduled to start in January, 2012 (age 25)

Persian - Scheduled to start in June, 2013 (age 27)

Edited by Lucky Charms on 21 May 2010 at 4:43am

yawn
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5223 days ago

141 posts - 209 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, FrenchC2, SpanishC2
Studies: GermanB1

Message 123 of 204
24 May 2010 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 

English: Native
Mandarin: Native
French: Native fluency
Spanish: Near-native fluency
German: Basic fluency
Italian: Beginner

stout
Ireland
Joined 5168 days ago

108 posts - 140 votes 
Studies: French

Message 124 of 204
24 May 2010 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
I am now in my late 30's...

I started learning French when I was in my early 20's...

English:Mother tongue.
French:Fairly good knowledge of the language.Around B1 level.
Irish:A few words only.
Italian:A few words only.Although I have some understanding of the language.
Spanish:Almost non-existent.
German:Almost non-existent.

Hungarian:I was in Budapest a few yrs ago and I confess my Hungarian is non-existent.
Polish:There many Poles in Ireland,but I confess my Polish is non-existent.

So I only speak two languages.English and French.That's enough for me thank you...

Stout...

Edited by stout on 26 May 2010 at 4:47pm

Ericounet
France
yojik.euRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5232 days ago

157 posts - 414 votes 
Studies: English, German, Russian

Message 125 of 204
26 December 2010 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
I'm 53 years old:

French: native
German: semi-native ;) (father German, mother French)

German at school (7 years ... I remember how bad were theses courses): at 53: learning again.(every work day: I do it when a patient doesn't come)
English: at school (5 years .. same remark as above :(:( ) learning every day (watching tvshows, reading, translating ... lacks speaking .. on the TODO list!)
Latin: at school (7 years)(I don't remember anything :)
Russian: I began when I was 43 .. still learning every day.

I want to know some Korean, Chinese and Japanese too (the basis) so I'll have to find some time to do it.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5902 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Studies: Polish

Message 126 of 204
26 December 2010 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
I'm 48

French at school but didn't excel, and generally uninterested in
languages back then. Have no particular desire to go back to French.

Polish: started nearly two years ago but not serious and soon faded.
Restarted in August 2010 having been inspired after reading 'The Art
and Science of Learning Languages' by Gethin & Gunnemark. Starting to make
real progress and enjoying it.

I'm thinking about starting another language on my 50th birthday, either
Turkish, Armenian or whatever attracts me in a couple of years' time.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5261 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 127 of 204
26 December 2010 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
I'm 38 years old.

My languages are as follows:

French: Started at 11, quit at 18. I can remember enough words and phrases to get by
on holiday, and could probably read simple texts quite easily I imagine.

German: Started at 12, studied at university, including a year of immersion in Vienna.
Reached fluency but haven't used it for years. I can read fine but I'm sure I would
struggle to speak anything more than the basics.

Russian: Started at 17, studied at university, including six months in Yaroslavl. I
reached a very high level of fluency in Russian but I have also let this language
slide. I occasionally open up a Russian novel, only to put it back on the shelf 10
minutes later in disgust at the amount of words I don't know! I adore this language
though.

Polish: Started at 18 at university and studied for 2 years, including a total of 6
weeks in Warsaw. Reached an intermediate level but don't remember an awful lot now.

Japanese: Started at 23 when I moved to Japan. I am near-native and use Japanese in
my job and my everyday life here in Tokyo, where I live.

Thai: Went to a class for 6 months aged around 30, but soon got fed up and quit. Kind
of wish I'd stuck with it and I may pick up Thai again one day. I've been to Thailand
5 or 6 times and I love the country and food.

Georgian: Started one year ago after discovering this site. I'm probably at a low-
intermediate level now and I'm still studying diligently.

I've recently been thinking about dipping my toes into Mongolian, which would probably
be next on my hit list. It's dangerously addictive, this language business.

guitarob
Hexaglot
Groupie
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4884 days ago

95 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Danish, Portuguese, Italian
Studies: German

Message 128 of 204
27 December 2010 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
1st post in this forum

I'm 24 years old and these are my languages:

Spanish: Native
English: I started learning English when I was 11, then joined a bilingual school when I was 12. I would say my level in English is C1 or Advanced Fluency which allows me to study in the language
French: Studied it for less than 2 years at the alliance française up to a B2 level(basic fluency). I Started when I was 22 when I started
Italian: I studied for 3 years in a formal language course. I used to have a B2 level(basic fluency) but have lost some of it due to lack of practice. I was 18 when I started
Portuguese: I did a formal course for a year(only 120 hours) but learned most of it thanks to my wife who lived in Brazil for a couple of years as a kid. I am able to speak at a normal pace with Brazilians without a problem so I guess my level would be B2(basic fluency). I was 19 when I started

Danish: I started a couple of weeks ago with the "Assimil - le danois sans peine" method, So I wouldn't say I speak any danish yet. Total beginner.

I hope to become fluent(B2) in danish in a year or less. After that I might start learning German(I've skipped this one 2 or 3 times).

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version