leandro0.stumbleup&#
Joined 5944 days ago

10 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English

Message 49 of 204
01 November 2008 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
Age 16

Brazilian Portuguese - Native language
English - Finished the advanced class last year, two years ahead of my original class. Studied it for over 8 years. Advanced
French - Learning on my own for a little over a month. Absolute beginner.     
1 person has voted this message useful

customic
Tetraglot
Groupie
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5677 days ago

44 posts - 66 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, English, German, Turkish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Persian

Message 50 of 204
01 November 2008 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
I'm almost 19 years old.

Polish - my mother tongue, as I live in Poland

English - I started "learning" it at the age of 9 in my primary school, but I
began to study it seriously (reading, listening to the news in English) at the age of
14. All the different tests suggest that my level of English might be something
between B2 and C1 and I wish to be C1 in June 2009 (that's when I have my Practical
English Exam)

German - I began learning it when I was 16. At the beginning I was curious
about this language and curious to learn it well, but my German teacher did all that
she could to discourage me. Now I try to study it alone and hope that I can do it
well. My level of writing, reading, and listening could be near B1, but as for
speaking, it would be A1/A2. Unfortunately I just can't speak German. I hope to
achieve level B2 since May 2009 - I will have another exam then. And I would really
like to improve my speaking abilities, but it would be the most difficult part...

Spanish and Latin - I try to learn these two languages for a month now.
And I suppose it take me some time to learn them well.

Still much to do for an aspiring polyglot... I guess I started too late, but hope it
still can be done.

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6700 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 51 of 204
01 November 2008 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
I'm 22.

Polish - my mother tongue and by far my best language, as I have both linguistic background in it and good professional skills as an editor and a journalist.

German - advanced fluency, I've been mistaken for a native speaker regularly for about a year. I feel comfortable speaking German, have very good listening and reading skills and know grammar well. I'm still working on my language skills, especially vocabulary and writing. My first contact with the language was in the age of 12 or so in the school, after a pause I had it in high school but srongly disliked and didn't learn anything. Learned finally, from the very beginning, during the studies, mostly through communication with natives and self-learning. It took me then about three years to get to the fluency.

English - somewhere between C1 and C2, I guess. Very good reading skills, my vocabulary is probably better than in German, especially the scientific one. I speak and write decent English, my accent isn't bad either but I don't "feel" the language", it still seems "foreign" to me, probably due to the fact that I used to speak it with non-native speakers mostly. I think that a longer stay in an English-speaking country could be extremely helpful here, and I definitely want to do it one day. I started learning English in the age of 4 (obviously, it wasn't very serious), got the B2 certificate till the end of high school. As English was always somehow present in my life, it doesn't really have that much of intriguing value as other languages do... but I do want to improve it, especially my accent, advanced grammar and hearing skills in other varieties than the American one. I'd like to get the C2 certificate and I'll probably use it as an extra motivation factor ;).

Spanish - started at the university when I was 17, basic fluency (B2+) after three years (courses at the university, self-learning, one month of an intensive course in Spain). Now it's worse after two years without almost any contact with it whatsoever but I'll defnitely brush it up as soon as I learn French (right now I'm too afraid of mixing both up).

French - somewhere between A2 and B1, so high beginner / low-intermediate. I hope to reach basic fluency until Juni. I started it in the age of 18 and get strongly discouraged till I turned 19 ;), my course was that bad. After a pause for recovery ;) almost only self-learning, now supported by an organized course (isn't that good either) and the part-immersion situation.

--------------

Under this line there's some space for languages I tried to learn or just flirted with.

Russian - three years in primary school (9-11 y.o.), a little bit of self-learning 10 years later (a few first units of Princeton Russian). I have some reading skills - with the (extensive) help of dictionary, I can read virtually anything I need. I also understand some spoken Russian and know basic phrases which I try out when I meet Russian people ;). Russian is definitely on my hit list.

Italian - started with a great motivation (I used an Internet course) in last months of high school, continued at the university for one year, then temporarily abandoned because of increasing interests on Spanish (and the course itself was extremely descouraging). I have some passive skills (mostly due to the knowledge of Spanish).

Czech - again one year of a course at the university (which, once more, was kind of discouraging), some self-learning (not that much). I haven't taken it seriously so far (just had pretty much fun with it). I understand some Czech and even speak it a bit.

Latin - one year of an obligatory course at the university. It was interesting but Latin has never really been my goal so I don't learn it anymore.

Dutch - just self-learning, two months or so this year, which has already improved my reading skills (I had some due to the knowledge of German and English). I'll certainly go on with it, I had to make a pause because of my staying in Switzerland now, which changed my language priorities.

Swiss German - linguistics can argue if it's a separate language or a dialect of German, it doesn't really matter here. Pretty difficult to learn as there aren't many learning materials and I'm still at the stage of looking for a method to crack it... My goal is just listening comprehension, some speaking would be a nice side effect, though.

I always loved learning languages. Now I see how discouraging most of the organized courses were :(. I'm very glad I discovered this forum three years ago. It's very motivating to know that there are people that share your passion, and that some of them have already achieved so much!

jez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 6103 days ago

37 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 52 of 204
15 November 2008 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
I'm 18.

Dutch - Native language, not much to say.

English - Advanced fluency, I guess. I'm not all that good with formal speech and fancy words. I am proud of my accent though. Funny thing is, I can't even really recall when I started learning this language. Or started picking it up, rather. I'm guessing around the age of 9 I really started to get more exposure to it by watching television all the time and listening to English language music. I never really studied it, though I did have mandatory classes during my high school years, which improved my understanding somewhat, but nothing dramatically. I just picked it up in the long run. Would it be right to consider English as somewhat of a second native language because of this?

German - Advanced beginner probably. From 12 to 15. German was also a mandatory language during my high school years and because of that I picked up some grammar. However I completely forgot everything about the case system. Luckily it's a bit similar to my native Dutch, so that makes it easy to read. But I never use this language anyway and I don't really like it that much. I think it sounds too harsh and it doesn't have a nice flow to it.

French - Rubbish. From 12 to 17. Yet another mandatory language during my high school years. Didn't like it back then. But that's probably because of the way it was taught. I do like the language nowadays and maybe I will start learning it again some day.

Esperanto - Advanced beginner, lower intermediate. Studied it sporadically since I was 16. Given up on it now. Decided I didn't really like the language because of how artificial it looks and sounds and also because of the unnecessary characters among other unnecessary things. I do think an international language would be a good thing. Just not Esperanto. And actually, I also think learning real languages is more rewarding and more fun.

Spanish - Just started learning again. Approaching beginner level now. I'm quite confident this time though. The motivation is there. That is, travelling through South America one day.

I also understand written Afrikaans, but that's because it just really close to Dutch. Understanding the spoken language is something else, but not a real problem either.

Liface
Triglot
United States
youtube.com/user/Lif
Joined 5655 days ago

150 posts - 237 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 53 of 204
16 November 2008 at 2:40am | IP Logged 

Native speaker of English.
Learned German for five years starting at age 16, but only started learning seriously at age 20.
Started learning Spanish six months ago.

I wish I had started as early as some of you.

Edited by Liface on 16 November 2008 at 2:40am

Aquedita
Triglot
Poland
myspace.com/aqueda_v
Joined 5811 days ago

154 posts - 164 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 54 of 204
16 November 2008 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
I'm almost 22 years old.

Polish - I'm a native speaker.

English - I started learning it at the age of 8, I insisted on my parents to send me on a course. Since then I've been into classes, had private tutors and after that I got into a bilingual high-school. After graduation I had the level of CPE easily. At the moment, I haven't used my English much in last 3-4 years so my grammar and vocab are rusty.

Japanese - my forth year majoring in Japanese Studies. I feel my level is between 1kyu and 2 kyu, but I'm not the strongest person in the group. I don't always have the confidence with using keigo and still need to learn much more kanji.

Mandarin Chinese - my second year of classes in my uni. I'm really into the language and I plan on applying for a language scholarship to go to China for a year.

German - I began learning it in junior-high for 3 years but in high-school (another 3 years) had to start over again from scratch so that took me a step back. Last time I used any German was during my uni entrance exams, now I can't speak it and I understand less and less.

Spanish - some self-teaching while I was in high-school. I can't speak it but I understand a lot. One of my greatest dream is a language course in Spain ;)

Russian - only one year of compulsory classes when I was a freshman in uni. It was quite good, I got the idea what's the system all about and should I ever need it in the future I could easily pick up where I left and go on on my own.

I wanna learn Arabic and Korean :)

Ryann
Diglot
Slovakia
Joined 5649 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Slovak, Hungarian*

Message 55 of 204
16 November 2008 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
Greetings, I'm 17 and here is the list of languages I speak:

Hungarian: native

Slovak: second language, I speak it on a native level. I live in Slovakia and go to a slovak school, there I speak slovak with friends and teachers, at home I use hungarian. I can read and write excelently in both slovak and hungarian, accentlessly.

English: My favourite of all :) Started to learn it aprox 9 years ago, I'd say advanced fluency is what expresses my level of English. I am also able to reproduce any accent I hear, so my regular speech is also without a slovak or a hungarian accent.

German: tough one. I'd say I am more of a beginner but less than advanced. Been learning since I was small via TV, didn't understand a word at first, but I wanted to watch Digimon ( :D ) so much, that I began to understand it. It helped me when I started learning it at school 3 years ago.

French: learned it for a year, stopped then because my teacher moved to France and since I live in a small town, I had to give up on it because of the lack of french teachers.

mick33
United States
Joined 5721 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 56 of 204
17 November 2008 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
Sennin wrote:

English (near-native) - I started learning English in elementary school and I've been on this track ever since, with varying levels of intensity and effectiveness. Right now I'm living in an English-speaking country and trying to polish my accent a bit ( though Scotland might not be the best place for this endeavour :)

I beg to differ with you regarding Scotland, as a native English speaker of Celtic descent I am very envious of anyone who can speak English with a Scottish accent.

In answer to the actual topic questions
I will not give my exact age, I'm a rather private person.

Languages I speak or am somewhat acquainted with

English: my native language.

Castilian Spanish: Took two years in high school. I have only rudimentary knowledge of Spanish, that is to say I have a very limited vocabulary and virtually no speaking ability, but I fully intend to learn Spanish in the near future.

Afrikaans: I've been teaching myself Afrikaans for about 2 1/2 years and am getting anxious to actually speak it with someone. I can write simple sentences in Afrikaans and be understood.

Dutch: Attempted to study Dutch two years ago, but abandoned it as I was more passionate about Afrikaans, but due to the many similarities with Afrikaans I can read and understand basic sentences in Dutch with little effort. After I get a better grasp of Afrikaans I will definitely begin studying Dutch.

French: I can't speak or read French at all but I recognize it immediately when I hear it being spoken.

Edited by mick33 on 18 November 2008 at 2:36pm

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version