lengua
United States
polyglottery.wordpre
Joined 6481 days ago

549 posts - 595 votes 
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish, German

Message 17 of 33
24 October 2006 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
I don't think we can truly say any languages will or won't be big in the future, as we inevitably base such opinions on our personal and political prejudices. In the end, all we can do is learn what we're interested in, and take things as they come. None of us are more privy to the future than any other.
1 person has voted this message useful

MissMelon
Diglot
United States
Joined 6431 days ago

28 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: English*, French

Message 18 of 33
25 October 2006 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
I dont see French going anywhere. French is a second language everywhere, and being taught as a second language in a lot of places. Most French learners do it out of love for the language, not as an investment. Chinese is very hard for an English speaker, so chances are most learners will quit if not interested in the language itself. To be honest, "investment languages" seem to turn me off... So keep learning French! C'est beau!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6462 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 19 of 33
26 October 2006 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
MissMelon wrote:
To be honest, "investment languages" seem to turn me off... So keep learning French! C'est beau!

French actually is an investment language: it's a lingua franca in most of Northern Africa and it's one of the most widely used languages on earth for literature, science, cinema etc. And economy too, especially in Europe.
Of course there are others, but French really is useful. I've been in many situations where I was happy to know French, because people hardly spoke English (in Italy and Spain for example)...

Edited by Marc Frisch on 26 October 2006 at 3:41am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6462 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 20 of 33
26 October 2006 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
On the other hand, I couldn't possibly be more biased: I grew up in a country whose most important trade partner is France, in a town which is situated 20 minutes from the French and Luxemburgish borders, 1 hour from Belgium and 3 hours from Switzerland...

MissMelon
Diglot
United States
Joined 6431 days ago

28 posts - 29 votes

Message 21 of 33
26 October 2006 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
Marc Frisch wrote:
MissMelon wrote:
To be honest, "investment languages" seem to turn me off... So keep learning French! C'est beau!

French actually is an investment language: it's a lingua franca in most of Northern Africa and it's one of the most widely used languages on earth for literature, science, cinema etc. And economy too, especially in Europe.
Of course there are others, but French really is useful. I've been in many situations where I was happy to know French, because people hardly spoke English (in Italy and Spain for example)...

I mean only learning a language as an investment. Must have worded it wrong.

Andy_Liu
Triglot
Hong Kong
leibby.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6583 days ago

255 posts - 257 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, Cantonese*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 22 of 33
26 October 2006 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
delectric wrote:
Every English major student in China must eventually take a second language after English. It seems that French is the most popular language, then Japanese and lastly Russian.

What about German and Korean? China is having more trade with Germany than France; Korea is as a close neighbour as Japan.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6953 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 23 of 33
26 October 2006 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
Andy_Liu wrote:
delectric wrote:
Every English major student in China must eventually take a second language after English. It seems that French is the most popular language, then Japanese and lastly Russian.

What about German and Korean? China is having more trade with Germany than France; Korea is as a close neighbour as Japan.

I think that it's because, rightly or wrongly, a lot of things that are associated with the French are given a mystical aesthetic quality, almost to the point of French culture being overrated at the expense of other cultures. I find that a lot of outsiders (i.e. people who do not live in countries where French is spoken) study French for subjective reasons and are indicative of aestethic values. (e.g. "French sounds beautiful." "French language is associated with Paris and the Louvre". In my view, these reasons smack more of snobbery than anything else, but these reasons are sufficient for quite a few people to start learning French.) I definitely don't hear about as many people who want to study Russian, German, Cantonese, Arabic or Hindi because those languages "sound beautiful", or because of some cultural connection. French gets a lot of attention, and I have mixed feelings when I see or hear people going ga-ga over it when there are many other languages out there for us to learn and enjoy.

Objectively, Korean or Japanese make a lot more sense for Chinese students to learn as a second foreign language becuase of the closer contact with Japan and Korea. But again I refer back to what I wrote that a lot of outsiders still have a strange and dare I say irrational affection for French things. It's to the point where you know people who pay thousands of dollars on clothing or bags from the collection of a French fashion designer, or not thinking twice about paying $150 for a 3-course meal at a French restaurant.)

On the widespread nature of French: French in theory is very useful because it is still the language of administration in much of North and Central Africa. Honestly, a lot of us in the West don't make trips to those regions, nor we do we come in contact with a lot of people or visitors from that region to take advantage of this fact. (e.g. When was the last time any of you bumped into someone who comes from Mauritania or Gabon? There wouldn't be many of us, I suspect.) Thus I don't think that the advantage is as great as it first appears given the lack of contact.

Edited by Chung on 26 October 2006 at 12:22pm

alcina
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6494 days ago

51 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Italian

Message 24 of 33
26 October 2006 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
(e.g. When was the last time any of you bumped into
someone who comes from Mauritania or Gabon? There wouldn't be many
of us, I suspect.) Thus I don't think that the advantage is as great as it
first appears given the lack of contact.

Today...yesterday...the day before...Well...actually I can't be *certain* they
came from those specific countries, but they were definitely French
speaking Africans! :) I live in a cheap part of London, every other voice I
hear in the street will *not* be speaking English. French is probably the
second most common language I hear around me daily after English.
Other languages heard daily are Russian, Polish, Romanian, Bulgarian,
Turkish, Greek, Cantonese, Mandarin, Indian (I have no knowledge of
Indian languages, so I can't tell which ones I'm hearing), Arabic (again, I
have no knowlege) and interestingly over the last year, German. I don't
know why I'm suddenly hearing a lot of German. And in the
Summer....Italian...Italy seems to expel her youth in the Summer and I
swear 95% of them end up here! You should see how many different
languages the local council has to translate its information into! :)

I guess it depends on where you live, but certainly the ability to speak
French is still valuable here because of French speaking Africans, rather
than French speaking Europeans.

Alcina

Edited by alcina on 26 October 2006 at 4:15pm

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version