Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 25 of 33
26 October 2006 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
alcina wrote:
Chung wrote:
(e.g. When was the last time any of you bumped into
someone who comes from Mauritania or Gabon? There wouldn't be many
of us, I suspect.) Thus I don't think that the advantage is as great as it
first appears given the lack of contact.

Today...yesterday...the day before...Well...actually I can't be *certain* they
came from those specific countries, but they were definitely French
speaking Africans! :) I live in a cheap part of London, every other voice I
hear in the street will *not* be speaking English. French is probably the
second most common language I hear around me daily after English.
Other languages heard daily are Russian, Polish, Romanian, Bulgarian,
Turkish, Greek, Cantonese, Mandarin, Indian (I have no knowledge of
Indian languages, so I can't tell which ones I'm hearing), Arabic (again, I
have no knowlege) and interestingly over the last year, German. I don't
know why I'm suddenly hearing a lot of German. And in the
Summer....Italian...Italy seems to expel her youth in the Summer and I
swear 95% of them end up here! You should see how many different
languages the local council has to translate its information into! :)

I guess it depends on where you live, but certainly the ability to speak
French is still valuable here because of French speaking Africans, rather
than French speaking Europeans.

Alcina

It certainly does. I heard that London is the most multilingual city in the English-speaking world and it does attract a lot of people from everywhere in the world, be they visitors, refugees or immigrants. One of my Polish friends recently complained that she heard so much Polish in London that she couldn't work on her English as much as she would have liked.

Edited by Chung on 26 October 2006 at 4:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

easyboy82
Pentaglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 6627 days ago

72 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, French, English, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Greek

Message 26 of 33
28 October 2006 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
Too many people make the association "important economy= important language". The power of attraction of a language and its importance derive from other elements too,such as its cultural production (cinema,scientific studies available in that language,music and so on...). Otherwise there would be no reason to learn German for example (we could speak English in business with Germany),but German is for example very important for classical studies so it is not only taught for an economic purpose. And so on..also considering the languages of regional relevance: I always think that in Europe studying a foreign language is above all a way to be closer to our neighbours .
Do you think English would be so widespread without the cultural products of the English speaking world? Chinese or Arabic will not be widespread languages only because the countries they're spoken in will be economically powerful,but only if they will be able to produce cultural products of relevance.       

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6565 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 27 of 33
29 October 2006 at 6:27am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Chinese or Arabic will not be widespread languages only because the countries they're spoken in will be economically powerful,but only if they will be able to produce cultural products of relevance.

Interesting point. Instruction in the Arabic language is practically mandatory for Muslims, and Islam has over 1 billion adherents worldwide.

easyboy82
Pentaglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 6627 days ago

72 posts - 75 votes 

Message 28 of 33
30 October 2006 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
I don't want to be misunderstood, when i said "products of cultural relevance" I obviously meant at worldwide and popular level (cinema ,music , etc ) : it is clear the languages I mentioned already have rich cultures in the countries they're spoken in...

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6565 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 29 of 33
31 October 2006 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
^^^

Well, most Muslims do not live in Arabic-speaking countries but study the language for cultural and religious reasons. As a result, there could be hundreds of millions of people worldwide with second-language Arabic knowledge.

As for pop culture, the Chinese have an edge — they've been producing some amazing films lately. However, movie distributors are pretty good at adapting their product to the audience (dubbing, subtitles, etc.), so aside from aspiring actors and actresses, I don't see movies being a huge impetus for language spread. True, there are anime fans who learn Japanese to enjoy the latest releases, but such people are a rarity.

Literature probably has a greater influence on language learning, but here the European languages continue to dominate (French, German, Russian, &c).

easyboy82
Pentaglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 6627 days ago

72 posts - 75 votes 

Message 30 of 33
01 November 2006 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
It is not a matter of need to learn a language to watch a film (in Italy for example every film is dubbed),but a rich film production make the language fashionable. I continue to think that economic relevance is only one,and not the most important,factor of a language importance and power of attraction.
PS: you are speaking of muslims living outside of Arabic countries not of non-muslim people...    

Edited by easyboy82 on 01 November 2006 at 2:28am

alcina
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6494 days ago

51 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Italian

Message 31 of 33
01 November 2006 at 6:19am | IP Logged 
easyboy82 wrote:
It is not a matter of need to learn a language to watch a film (in Italy for example every film is dubbed),but a rich film production make the language fashionable.

I agree and disagree :) I like French films (even some bad ones!) and even though my French is not at the stage yet where I can watch a film without subtitles there is still a hugh difference in experience watching the film in its original French and watching it dubbed into English. For me one of my goals in learning French is to be able to watch "sans sous-titres". It's more than being fashionable, it's to do with experiencing the culture, and the language is an integral part of that.

I also am a long time fan of Hong Kong movies and again to watch them dubbed into English is just...well..."wrong"! Hearing English words and colloquialisms whilst watching "foreign" films is, for me, a culture jar that's just horrible!

Alcina

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6456 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 32 of 33
02 November 2006 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
easyboy82 wrote:
Too many people make the association "important economy= important language".

I agree wholeheartedly. At the same time, I recognize that it is a challenge to determine which languages are truly important. The question is probably not "Is X an important language, but is X an important language to me? What are the benefits of learning X--not just economic, but intellectual and cultural and social?

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version