Diglot
United Kingdom
theafrikaanschalleng
Joined 3936 days ago

28 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: German*, English

Message 49 of 57
12 August 2013 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
Hey, that's great! :-) I'm glad you liked the idea! By the way, I really like that you made the effort to put in the lyrics of Glaskas's Romantikus and translated them. That's awesome! Because I really love the band and listened to the song quite a few times. I'd be super happy to have you as a follower of my blog, giving me advice from time to time. I'll try read your story through as much as I can. :-) Baie dankie! Alles van die beste to you too! (ook met jou? ...I'd still have to find that out)
1 person has voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4845 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 50 of 57
06 September 2013 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
Mick, I am interested in learning Afrikaans, at least a little bit. I am finding it difficult to find resources. Do you have any recommendations? Thank you!

Theycalme_Jane
Diglot
United Kingdom
theafrikaanschalleng
Joined 3936 days ago

28 posts - 48 votes

Message 51 of 57
10 September 2013 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
jdmoncada wrote:
Mick, I am interested in learning Afrikaans, at least a little bit. I am finding it difficult to find resources. Do you have any recommendations? Thank you!

Here's my list of useful resources - all freely availablelist of useful resources
3 persons have voted this message useful

Theycalme_Jane
Diglot
United Kingdom
theafrikaanschalleng
Joined 3936 days ago

28 posts - 48 votes

Message 52 of 57
10 September 2013 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
Hey Mick,

as you've got some experience translating songs and have done Glaskas before, would you kindly be willing to help me out with some feedback on my understanding of a very basic song:
Kom ons sing - Dans Dans Lisa (my translation into English and German)

please? :)

Edited by Theycalme_Jane on 10 September 2013 at 4:00pm

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4845 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 53 of 57
10 September 2013 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
Theycalme_Jane wrote:
jdmoncada wrote:

Here's my list of useful resources - all freely availablelist of useful resources

This is fantastic, and I love your blog! It inspires me. Maybe I want something like that in the future.

Theycalme_Jane
Diglot
United Kingdom
theafrikaanschalleng
Joined 3936 days ago

28 posts - 48 votes

Message 54 of 57
14 September 2013 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
jdmoncada wrote:
Theycalme_Jane wrote:
jdmoncada wrote:
Mick, I am interested in
learning Afrikaans, at least a little bit. I am finding it difficult to find resources.
Do you have any recommendations? Thank you!

Here's my list of useful resources - all freely
availablesources-learning-material/">list of useful resources

This is fantastic, and I love your blog! It inspires me. Maybe I want something like
that in the future.

Wow, thank you very much!!! :-) I love hearing that I inspire people!

mick33
United States
Joined 5735 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 55 of 57
08 October 2013 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
I am very sorry I missed this whole page of posts, but I have not been getting all the email notifications from this forum for at least a month. I only hope I'm not too late in finally replying.

@jdmoncada: I always recommend Dr jacques du Plessis' sitehttp://www.openlanguages.net/Afrikaans. This is the site I used to start learning Afrikaans and I still think it's the best introduction to the language on the internet. I also suggest getting the Teach Yourself Afrikaans and Colloquial Afrikaans courses, though I think that the Colloquial course seems to be a bit better.

I use the following online dictionaries:http://www.rieme.co.za/afrikaans/dictionary/ and http://english-afrikaans.co.za/html/dictionary.php?direction =English-Afrikaans from interpret.co.za. Interpret.co.za has a text translator as well, but the translations are very poor.

@Theycalme_Jane: You've probably forgotten you asked for my help by now, but I took a quick peek at your translation and it looks good to me. I'll be eating dinner soon and then going out for a few hours this evening and I will look it over more carefully later tonight or tomorrow morning. BTW I like that song too.

KidRoberts
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3946 days ago

19 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Afrikaans

Message 56 of 57
08 October 2013 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
I can't believe that I have found someone else that likes Glaskas! They're a great pop
punkish band.

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version