United States
Joined 5385 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 17 of 34
08 August 2010 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
I don't have dreams :) I live them.

honestly, my dream languages are the one's I'm currently studying, and maybe japanese in addition. I'm in no hurry, I'm focusing on a language every one-two years depending upon the difficulty :)
1 person has voted this message useful

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5566 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 18 of 34
08 August 2010 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Before I go onto the "dream list" or so, I want to get my German, Italian and Russian to a level I'm happy with. After those, my "dream" is to be able to speak Greek, Japanese and Chinese. Japanese because I loved certain Japanese programs as a kid and Chinese because I want to be able to read "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" in Chinese. That will take many, many years, but that's fine. And Greek I want to learn because I love the country - I can already read Greek but that's far from enough. Also, Greek is so far the only script I can read which for me doesn't lose its wonder and beauty after you can read it. Perhaps it's just me :P

Jack

mattrossi
Australia
Joined 5022 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 19 of 34
08 August 2010 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
I speak English natively and can speak some Esperanto.

I would love to study Italian for mainly practical reasons. Half of my family speak Italian, so it would be good to
be able to speak their language to them as well as in English (especially for my grandparents who are fluent but
nowhere near a native level of English). Within a couple of months I'll also have Italian citizenship (to go along
with my Australian citizenship), so a command of Italian would be useful when dealing with the bureaucracies.

Realistically, French would be a good language to learn, due to the number of countries in which it can be
spoken. I'm a fan of European foreign films (in Australia one channel plays foreign films with English subtitles
free to air), so a knowledge of French (even Italian) would be helpful. I've never considered Spanish before, but
the glowing praise that this website gave it, as well as my grandfather being able to speak it (after living for a few
years in Venezuela), it would be one to consider.

In a perfect world, I would like to be able to learn Greek to speak with the other side of my family, but even my
Greek speaking mother thinks there isn't much point in me learning it.

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5145 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 20 of 34
08 August 2010 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
These are the languages I've considered learning at one point or another, including the ones I already speak:

portugués        español        Italiano        francés        inglés        neerlandés        alemán        danés        sueco        noruego        islandés        finés        estonio        polaco        lituano        checo        húngaro        serbocroata        rumano        búlgaro        griego moderno        ucraniano        georgiano        ruso
francés antiguo        inglés antiguo        alemán antiguo        nórdico antiguo        antiguo eslavo eclesiástico
amárico        hebreo moderno
latín        griego antiguo        arameo        hebreo antiguo
egipcio        acadio        sumerio
turco        árabe estándar moderno y clásico        persa moderno y clásico
hindi        urdu        panyabí        bengalí        guyaratí        maratí        telugú        canarés        malayalam        tamil antiguo y moderno        cingalés        pali y prácrito        sánscrito
tailandés        malayo        indonesio        vietnamita
chino mandarín        chino clásico        coreano        japonés

Choosing a realistic and manageable number among these and hence making up my mind to give up hope for ever learning the rest has proven to be as hard as actually learning any of them.

Edited by Juаn on 08 August 2010 at 4:50pm

johntm93
United States
Joined 5127 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 21 of 34
09 August 2010 at 5:40am | IP Logged 
Languages I'm learning:
Spanish and German
I guess you could count English too, since I'm still learning new words and still
required to take English in school (funny thing, we never learn about the language
itself)

Languages I'd like to learn in a perfect world:
All of them

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5144 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 22 of 34
09 August 2010 at 7:40am | IP Logged 
Languages I'm learning: German

I absolutely love this language because the way it's pronounced is very beautiful more
so than French.

My dream languages would be Russian because it's the next language that I find very
beautiful after German. The Cyrillic alphabet is amazing to look at and read (if I knew
how). It is similar to the other Asian languages like Japanese, Korean and Chinese. The
last one I tend to learn would be Japanese because the Samurai history is simply
amazing and their values they had is nothing but respectable for what they believed in.
Also because the Japanese video games have so much better content and what not than you
would ever have in American and European video games.

So I want to have full knowledge of German, Russian and Japanese besides my English.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6503 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 23 of 34
09 August 2010 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
My goal (not dream) is to be able to speak, read, write, think in and understand every Indoeuropean language in Europe (plus Afrikaans) - those in India and in between are so far just dreams, because I don't think that I'll have time to learn them. And of course I'll have to sacrifice a few small languages with too few resources - such as Sardic, Romantsch, Faroese and Frisian.

Outside the Indoeuropean languages I'll learn Bahasa I + M, but I also have a dream about reverting to Filipino, which I only dropped because my dictionaries weren't sufficient. I would also like to learn other non-Indoeuropean languages later, but these remain dreams which may never materialize. If they do then Finnish would be on top of my agenda.   

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5140 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 24 of 34
09 August 2010 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
For me, I would love to learn languages in terms of language families, so as I could understand better their shared histories, how/why/when their languages diverged etc. Take the romance language family for instance, I am learning French (currently, I am reading Le Comte de Monte Cristo in French - as they come in 2 thick volumes, these 2 books will serve as my French texts to further improve my French and understanding of French literature), Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and Corsican (I would like to learn a rare language, and hopefully it might give me clues to further understanding the romance languages as a whole).

I am also very interested to concentrate on East Asian languages such as Chinese, Japanese and Korean, as the countries speaking these languages shared so much history together, and the amount of literature coming out from them is impressive too.
Furthermore, I would like to include a Southeast Asian language such as Cambodian or Indonesian, both regions having rich cultures and histories.

Edited by noriyuki_nomura on 09 August 2010 at 5:43pm

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version