Tags: Ideal | Hit List | Polyglot
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
34 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 35  Next >>
Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5469 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 26 of 34
09 August 2010 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
I already speak Luxembourgish, French, German, English and Spanish fluently.
The languages I am currently learning actively are Italian and Dutch.
I don't really have a dream language, just a loooong list of languages I want to learn some day (and will!). That would be Russian (which I studied for some time but then dropped), Portuguese, Catalan, Greek, Swedish or Norwegian, Indonesian/Malay, Japanese and maybe a few others like Mandarin, Arabic or Nahuatl.
Unfortunately days only have 24 hours and I am also very busy with work and other hobbies, so I have to take it slowly.

1 person has voted this message useful

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6760 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 27 of 34
09 August 2010 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
[QUOTE=noriyuki_nomura] my French and understanding of French literature), Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and Corsican (I would like to learn a rare language, and hopefully it might give me clues to further understanding the romance languages as a whole).

Corsican is a ccentral Italian dialect (tuscany-umbria-marche family)
( but you don't have to say it to the corsicans! they will not accept it )
Corsican is very close to Italian , more than dutch and afrikaans
In facts there are not corsican-italian dictionaries . Corsican is like the vulgar Italian spoken after Middle Age .Every Italian can understand it easily.
I never studied it and I read without problems all the corsican sites and forums

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5942 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 28 of 34
10 August 2010 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
zekecoma wrote:
My dream languages would be Russian because it's the next language that I find very beautiful after German. The Cyrillic alphabet is amazing to look at and read (if I knew how). It is similar to the other Asian languages like Japanese, Korean and Chinese.

I'm not sure if I interpreted this correctly, but Russian is completely unrelated to Japanese, Korean, and Chinese.

I already speak or study some of my "dream languages," such as French, German, Russian, Greek, and Japanese (and somewhat Portuguese and Italian, but not as much as those others). Those were ones I always wanted to speak ever since I was little. Another that I've wanted to learn for a long time but haven't yet gotten around to is Arabic.

There are some other languages which I like very much, but I'm not sure if they would be called dream languages (yet), but some of them are approaching that point. The main ones are Finnish, Hungarian, Romanian, Georgian, and Persian. I desperately want to learn all of these at the moment, and am having a major dilemma in choosing just one or two which I would go for first... In addition, Swahili has become like this too, but I already am studying it.

Edited by ellasevia on 10 August 2010 at 2:16am

CultureyLang4me
United States
Joined 5024 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 30 of 34
10 August 2010 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
Studying Japanese and French, Some Spanish.

Dream languages include German, Mandarin, Korean, and Russian.

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5173 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 31 of 34
11 August 2010 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
I'm currently most actively studying Icelandic. I'm also studying less actively German and Finnish. German is partially for university and Finnish partially for its difference, but I'm interested in both.

I'd love to start learning Irish, Scottish Gaelic, Welsh, Mongolian, Greenlandic, and Vietnamese or Chinese. I WILL get round to them sometime, but I'm forcing myself not to buy resources for all of them (particularly Irish).

I love to hear the major UK celtic languages spoken. Mongolian I'd struggle to find resources for, here. I want to learn perhaps another Asian language but I haven't had much contact with Asia at all so I wouldn't know which. I'd like to learn a language that's difficult for reasons other than its grammar - in fact I'd like grammar to be the simplest. Greenlandic may be an actual pipe dream as I'd be surprised if there are resources for it in any other language than Danish. I suppose I could teach myself Danish, with strong foundations in German and Icelandic to help.

aarontp
Groupie
United States
Joined 5067 days ago

94 posts - 139 votes 

Message 32 of 34
11 August 2010 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
I'm currently studying Spanish and French. I would like to someday learn German,
Russian, and one Eastern language: maybe Turkish or Farsi.

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version