aarontp
Groupie
United States
Joined 5066 days ago

94 posts - 139 votes 

Message 33 of 34
11 August 2010 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
Olympia wrote:

P.S. I know Greek doesn't have a large number of native speakers, and I'm not sure about
in Australia, but at least
in the U.S. there are Greek neighborhoods in most major cities and plenty of Greek
restaurants that are filled with
native Greek speakers. The same isn't so true for German.

That's true. I could go out and use Greek or Italian tomorrow if I wanted to; whereas I
would have to search for a German or French speaker. Although I don't know any Greeks
who don't also speak English.
1 person has voted this message useful

Olympia
Triglot
United States
Joined 5780 days ago

195 posts - 244 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Old English, French

Message 34 of 34
11 August 2010 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
Update: When I last posted in October 2008 I said that I was able to speak Spanish, but wanted to learn
Portuguese and possibly French and German in the near future.

I'm happy to report that my Spanish is as strong as ever as I have a job as a TA in a Spanish conversation
residential program which allows me to speak Spanish almost every day. Also, I worked as a translator for an
American company that was expanding their company into Mexico in the summer of 2009, including working for
a time in Mexico City. This summer (2010) I spent some time working with the poor in Guatemala and will also
soon be working as a translator in a medical clinic. I feel so fortunate to be able to have these wonderful
opportunities.

I started formally studying Brazilian Portuguese in university classes in January 2009, and so far I have completed
the equivalent of four semesters and have all but attained basic fluency in Portuguese. I will be continuing on to
the fifth semester at my university next month. I hope to be able to travel to Brazil and possibly live there for a
time if money/schedule permits. The most difficult part about Portuguese is the lack of access to native speakers
and media in Portuguese. I cannot practice as much as I can with Spanish because of the limited availability. It is
a shame though, because I can say that I love the Portuguese language more than I even thought I would.

French has had to take a backseat for the time being (I'm trying to become a medical doctor here), but it has not
completely disappeared from the radar. Actually, it has started creeping in almost without my realizing it.
Luckily I am still very close to my roommate of two years ago although we are no longer living together. She has
definitely helped to develop my interest in French and lately I have become even more curious and have started
listening to music in French and even watching a couple of Disney movies in French to develop basic grammar
and vocabulary. This has resulted in a great improvement of my passive skills, but actively I am very limited
because I haven't had much a chance to study grammar on a regular basis. My dear friend, though, is often quite
surprised that I understand her French when she talks to her Francophone friends.

No development on German yet, and probably none for the immediate future. I did learn to read Old English at
university last semester, which was a whirlwind introduction to Germanic grammar. It went well, although it
wasn't always particularly enjoyable.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version