littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6476 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 17 of 49
30 November 2008 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
SlickAs wrote:
Are there any actors/footballers/politicians that speak both?

I saw someone on TV once, but I think it was a model or a footballer's girlfriend or possibly a female football player or something like that, either Danish or Norwegian, who spoke the other language, and I remember my boyfriend going "oh wow, she actually speaks [whatever it was]". I think it is rather rare though. Most people who move around seem to end up speaking a mix of for example Swedish and Norwegian.

SlickAs wrote:
Do any of you speak another of the Scandinavian languages? And feel natural with it? Would it feel like "putting on a false accent"?

For me it feels very much like putting on a false accent, and that's why I only write in Norwegian but never attempt to speak it. I certainly use Norwegian words, but I pronounce them as if they were Swedish, and I don't really realize how many words I exchange until I speak with another Swede (extremely rare) and have to stop myself every other sentence to NOT blurt out a Norwegian word that would only make them laugh.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6501 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 49
30 November 2008 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
SlickAs wrote:

...I have heard (from many people) that it is not possible to speak more than 1 Scandinavian language fluently (without speaking in a false accent ... like an Australian speaking in a Scotts accent, word choice and vocab to pass himself off as Scottish). Is this true? Are there any actors/footballers/politicians that speak both? Do any of you speak another of the Scandinavian languages? And feel natural with it? Would it feel like "putting on a false accent"? Because I would love to speak Norwegian if I could keep my Swedish.

There are really two issues here. Learning another Nordic language is not difficult at all, but you have to adjust the way you normally learn languages. It is just too easy to slip into the habit of pronouncing the words from your own language with a slight accent in the belief that the result will be a string of perfect sentences in the other language. But no, you MUST treat the other language like a separate entity, which means that you have to learn even the basic elements from scratch - if you are Danish and try to learn Norwegian or Swedish then you should use learning materials for Anglophones or Arabs rather than anything written in a Scandinavian language, otherwise your attention won't be drawn to the basics of the other Nordic language. And you HAVE to use the excellent opportunities to listen to the other languages on TV or through the internet - with the unexpected lack of interscandinavian interintelligibility that Tricoteuse has described in mind you should be prepared for some minor problems understanding your fellow Scandinavians unless you actually take the time to listen to the strange sounds they emit. Your consolation will be that it is much easier and faster to work your way through the usual series of stages with a closely related language than with something totally foreign. The same thing applies to learning new dialects of a language you already know well.

The second issue is the attitude of the native speakers: I'm fairly sure that my Swedish accent would be judged more severely by a fellow Scandinavian than the same sounds emitted by a Chinese or Russian or just about anybody else. Their errors would be forgiven because nobody expects them to speak a word of any Nordic language, while my errors might be interpreted as part of a deliberate attempt to make fun of the other language by one of those irreverent and incomprehensible Danes. But rather being misinterpreted than succombing to the mortal sin of speaking English to a Nordic kinsman.

Edited by Iversen on 30 November 2008 at 12:33pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6476 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 19 of 49
30 November 2008 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
But rather being misinterpreted than succombing to the mortal sin of speaking English to a Nordic kinsman.

It is indeed a sin! :) But, sometimes necessary it seems...
When a Swedish friend of mine was in Norway, he spoke English with the Norwegian he was staying with, that which they even do when speaking online. In a bar they met this Norwegian's brother, who immediately went "What are you doing?! Speaking English? That's just shameful!"
But after speaking Steinkjer (Trønder) dialect with my Swedish friend for some minutes the brother simply gave up since even if they could understand his northern Swedish dialect, he had no clue about what they were saying.

Then when I met this same Norwegian, he was absolutely set on speaking English with me since he thought I would understand nothing of what he said, but I refused. And we did manage to communicate quite well, even though I for a moment, during a discussion on Africa, thought "koffor" was some African country I had completely missed the existence of or one with a weird name in Norwegian...

("Koffor" is how they say "hvorfor", Swedish "varför", up north, meaning "why")

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6501 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 49
01 December 2008 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
I have also noted that a lot of common Norwegians words have initial "kv" (apparently pronounced as "k" in Trøndelagen) where Swedes have "v". In Danish we have 'hv'. The 'h' is silent in Standard Danish in this position, but it is pronounced in several Jutish dialects (almost like Scottish 'ch' in Loch or Dutch g/j), so I don't have too much of a problem there. But our dialects are dying out these days so that people from for instance Copenhagen may never hear true 'himmerlandsk' or 'vendelbomål'.

btw. "hvorfor" in ordinary spoken Danish is pronounced as "våffo" (with a closed å-sound and a short open o at the end).

Edited by Iversen on 01 December 2008 at 4:18am

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6070 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 21 of 49
09 December 2008 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
There was a film in the 1990s called Insomnia, later remade as an American film. In the original, a Swedish detective (I think played by Stellan Skarsgard) investigates a murder in a remote part of northern Norway. He can communicate with the Norwegians, but not perfectly, and the partial language barrier adds to his frustrations with solving the crime etc.

Taka
Diglot
Groupie
China
Joined 5890 days ago

47 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Swedish, Portuguese

Message 22 of 49
02 March 2009 at 8:10am | IP Logged 
Not being a scandinavian myself, I've no idea on how similar are Swedish, Norwegian and Danish. But when I watched this Danish film "Sult(hunger)" and found that I could actually catch a little conversations, that surprises me. I am learning Swedish actively now and don't speak any Danish. Having been thrown into a Swedish speaking environment for 2 weeks I am sure I understand much more Swedish than what I can speak, but I was never exposed to any Danish language before. Even though I bear in mind that Danish has a "hot-potato-in-the-month" pronounciation which I read somewhere in a book I still think that film was in Swedish..Wasn't that? Does anyone know what language was it?

If a Swedish beginner can understand a little bit of a Danish film, then these two languages must be very similar.

Edited by Taka on 02 March 2009 at 8:12am

1 person has voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6070 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 23 of 49
02 March 2009 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
The dialect of the southernmost part of Sweden (once Danish-ruled) is supposed to be particularly close to Danish. This is what I have read - I have never studied any Scandinavian language.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6707 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 49
02 March 2009 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
Taka wrote:
But when I watched this Danish film "Sult(hunger)" and found that I could actually catch a little conversations, that surprises me.

I don't think I have seen the film, but Per Oscarsson (the leading actor) is Swedish, it's shot in Oslo (Norway) and directed by Henning Carlsen (a Dane). According to Wikipedia and IMDB the language is Danish, but I doubt that the Swedish actors would speak it. When a film has actors from several Scandinavian countries they usually speak in their native language, whatever that is, as in Hamsun:

Quote:
Hamsun is a 1996 Danish-Swedish-Norwegian-German drama directed by Jan Troell, about the later life of the Norwegian author Knut Hamsun (Max von Sydow), who together with his wife Marie Hamsun (Ghita Nørby) went from being national saints to national traitors after supporting Nazi Germany during their occupation of Norway during World War II.

The film is notable for its use of language. Von Sydow and Nørby speak throughout the film in their native Swedish and Danish respectively, while the rest of the cast speak Norwegian.

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version