Groupie
Norway
Joined 4774 days ago

88 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Portuguese, Swahili

Message 49 of 49
15 November 2011 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Hm, Outcast, I think it's unfortunately, 100% dependant on exposure. I think there IS no trick for any of us scandinavians at all for understanding any other dialect/language in scandinavia. A lot of Norwegians outside my region have so much problems understanding me, I'm often resorting to speaking 100% bokmål to them :/
Btw: I can read passable what's written in Dutch, having tried reading some in it 2-3 times in my life, as I know of, no study, danish I know well enough the "Stød" they use is no issue, vocabulary is. There is about as big difference as Portuguese and Spanish, so i could write down anything a dane says, just not understand all the words, no study, just some exposure to danish.
Swedish, as a language, it differs more in vocabulary from Norwegian, but I simply know the language better than Danish, can understand what's spoken, read, and make myself understood, though I've never needed to try SPEAK it to be understood, I think i could make an attempt and make it work somehow.

Ari: At first attempt listening, I got 10-20% only, but it SOUNDS like something simmiliar is going on in this dialect as other dialects of Swedish, and Norwegian. If I'd have some more samples, or better, met someone from there, I think I'd pick it up quite fast, though he uses lots of words any non local would need to learn, who's not existing in Stockholmsvenska. Listening more I understand about 30%, but I'd need much more exposure to pick up more, and try to speak with someone from there. That sample alone is gibberish, about as untrained German/Dutch for a Swede/Norwegian.

Edited by KimG on 15 November 2011 at 5:16pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version