China
Joined 5890 days ago

47 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Swedish, Portuguese

Message 25 of 49
03 March 2009 at 6:44am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:

When a film has actors from several Scandinavian countries they usually speak in their native language, whatever that is, as in Hamsun:

Prabably it is like this way, cause I could only understand a bit of what Per said, not the rest of the cast.

Quote:
Hamsun is a 1996 Danish-Swedish-Norwegian-German drama directed by Jan Troell, about the later life of the Norwegian author Knut Hamsun (Max von Sydow), who together with his wife Marie Hamsun (Ghita Nørby) went from being national saints to national traitors after supporting Nazi Germany during their occupation of Norway during World War II.

The film is notable for its use of language. Von Sydow and Nørby speak throughout the film in their native Swedish and Danish respectively, while the rest of the cast speak Norwegian.

That's very interesting. I am quite fascinated by this use of languages in a film. That was a great film. Thank you for posting, and on the wikipedia page it says 'Sult'was accually written by Knut Hamsun. I am going to read this novel :)

Edited by Taka on 03 March 2009 at 6:50am

1 person has voted this message useful

Zeta
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5490 days ago

31 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 26 of 49
27 April 2009 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
I am Norwegian and I can understand swedish and danish. It takes a little time getting used to, but thne it isnt any problem. Acually Danish just seems like a hard Norwegian dialect. I can read Danish, but I have problems reading Sweedish. I understand a lot of the Swedish when I read, but I dont like reading it because I tend to think: "this word should not be spelled this way." Since they are similar to Norwegian, but not similar enough.

I also try not to read to much Swedish, because I have to learn Nynorsk at school and I usually mix Nynorsk with Swedish, which is not good.

We have some exchange students and they have got big problems in understanding the different dialects. I have to admit that I have to concentrate a lot myself sometimes if someone has a hard dialect.

Just to show how big differences it is I will show you some different ways you can say "I."

Jeg-eg-I-Æ

Also a lot of dialects tend to use K insted of hv. Like in the word why-hvorfor-koffor
or what-hva-ka-kva

Olekander
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5681 days ago

122 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Russian

Message 27 of 49
01 May 2009 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
I know a couple who are married and the man speaks danish, and the woman speaks norwegian. This must be a suitably comfortable situation to be in if they can share everything together in the two languages. They said that their languages are so familiar it doesn't matter.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 28 of 49
19 September 2011 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
Sorry, this is an ancient thread, but my question seems somewhat relevant:

It is aimed primarily at English native speakers who have successfully learned Danish as their first Scandinavian language, but anyone else feel free to chip in.

Danish (so I keep reading) shares with English the dubious distinction of having apparently very little phonetic correspondence between the written form and the spoken form (bit of an over simplification, but you will know what I'm driving at).

How, as a learner, did you cope with this, and how long did it take you to master basic fluency and good understanding of spoken Danish? How did you then subsequently manage in interactions with Norwegians and Swedes, if you have had any?

On to more general points relating to the original topic. Only fictional, but in the cult TV series "Forbrydelsen" (translated as "The Killing" in the English subtitles), the heroine, Lund is planning all along to move to Sweden to live with her Swedish boyfriend. She has a son about 12 by a dissolved marriage who is going with her, but quite reluctant to do so. One reason for his reluctance is the need to learn Swedish. The boy friend has arranged lessons for him, but the move gets delayed, and occasionally, we see him struggle to read a Swedish book, with help from his grandmother. Lund herself doesn't seem to need to learn Swedish, even though she is planning to take up a job with the Swedish police, so presumably she is expecting to get by with just Danish. However, presumably, the boy is going to have to take written tests, write essays, etc, at school, so at least his reading and writing needs to be up to scratch. And perhaps he will be bullied at school if he persists in speaking Norwegian.

How realistic is this fictional scenario?

EDIT: I forgot this question: I used to go to a series of conferences that in theory were open to members from all the countries of western Europe, but tended to be dominated by Scandinavians (as well as British - English being the language of the conference), as they were the best at speaking English I guess. (Oh yes, and the Dutch, of course).   One day, I was waiting for a Swedish colleague who was in conversation with a Norwegian. They finished their conversation, and the Swedish colleague and I walked together to the conference session we were due at, and while we walked, she said with a laugh "X speaks such Scandinavian Norwegian....".

If she explained what she meant, I don't now remember (and perhaps didn't understand at the time). Does this make any sense? Unfortunately, I don't know where the Norwegian came from. The Swede came from Gothenberg.

Edited by montmorency on 19 September 2011 at 3:40pm

Lugubert
Heptaglot
Sweden
Joined 6665 days ago

186 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Danish, Norwegian, EnglishC2, German, Dutch, French
Studies: Mandarin, Hindi

Message 29 of 49
19 September 2011 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
... she said with a laugh "X speaks such Scandinavian Norwegian....".

If she explained what she meant, I don't now remember (and perhaps didn't understand at the time). Does this make any sense? Unfortunately, I don't know where the Norwegian came from. The Swede came from Gothenberg.

She might have meant that the Norwegian used purely Swedish words when he thought that the Norwegian word might not be understood. Quite annoying sometimes when you know what the Norwegian word would have been and understand it, but you appreciate the effort anyway.

Besides all other things that make Göteborg a nice place to live, we're just a few hours away from Norway or Denmark. Mutual Scandinavian understanding is probably quite high here.

There's also the problem of mutual understanding within each country. A Stockholm (south of mid Sweden...) aborigine might have not trivial understanding problems in Southern Sweden, and I suppose there might be similar problems between Jutland and Bornholm, or Tromsø and Oslo.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6707 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 30 of 49
19 September 2011 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Even if Danish/Norwegian are similar enough to Swedish, most adult Danes/Norwegians adapt to Swedish (to some extent) so they won't sound as "foreign". The native prosody is still there, but the vocabulary is more Swedish. In the fictional example, I don't think a 12 year old boy would keep speaking Danish (or was it Norwegian?) in school, but he might still do it at home.

Regarding "Scandinavian Norwegian" it might refer to a more "Scandinavian" vocabulary. However, if it does, I probably wouldn't notice it. The Norwegian TV host Fredrik Skavlan doesn't speak pure Norwegian with his Swedish guests, but for me it's hard to say when he switches because he doesn't sound Swedish "enough" just because of the changes in vocabulary. (just like a Geordie doesn't sound "American" even if he says fries instead of chips and so on)

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 19 September 2011 at 10:55pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 31 of 49
20 September 2011 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Even if Danish/Norwegian are similar enough to Swedish, most adult Danes/Norwegians adapt to Swedish (to some extent) so they won't sound as "foreign". The native prosody is still there, but the vocabulary is more Swedish. In the fictional example, I don't think a 12 year old boy would keep speaking Danish (or was it Norwegian?) in school, but he might still do it at home.

Regarding "Scandinavian Norwegian" it might refer to a more "Scandinavian" vocabulary. However, if it does, I probably wouldn't notice it. The Norwegian TV host Fredrik Skavlan doesn't speak pure Norwegian with his Swedish guests, but for me it's hard to say when he switches because he doesn't sound Swedish "enough" just because of the changes in vocabulary. (just like a Geordie doesn't sound "American" even if he says fries instead of chips and so on)

Thanks; yes I think I see what you mean.
The nearest sort of thing I could think of from an English language perspective would be if someone who normally spoke a very "posh" form of RP English modified it slightly so that he didn't sound so posh, when in Scotland or the north-east. He would not of course attempt to imitate the accent of either. Similarly, someone with a very broad Scottish or Geordie accent might attempt to make it less broad when in London. This is assuming that those involved are sensitive to those around them and the effect their speech is having on them, which of course not everybody is :-)

Remster
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4603 days ago

120 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 32 of 49
06 October 2011 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
From what I've seen, they're remarkebly similar.
Especially Danish and Norwegian and their written form. I believe bokmal (I can't get the ''o'' on top of the ''a''.) is the one closest to Danish.
To me, they sound the same. Though I can immediatly recognize written Swedish, that's quite obvious.

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version