Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Dutch profile

Tags: Dutch
 Language Learning Forum : Collaborative writing (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
40 messages over 5 pages: 13 4 5  Next >>
daristani
United States
Joined 6932 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 9 of 40
29 September 2005 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
I find the line "Dutch is not a beautiful language" to be less than tactful. Different people have different standards in terms of what makes a language "beautiful", and so I think such a statement suggests an objectivity to such a judgement that is not really there. (Many people find Arabic to be less than beautiful, largely on account of those same "guttural" sounds that typify Dutch, but I find Arabic a delight to listen to. My wife disagrees vehemently, hence my skepticism that one can make such a bald statement regarding the beauty -- or lack thereof -- of Dutch, or, for that matter, any other language.)

Accordingly I would delete the sentence in question.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6944 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 10 of 40
29 September 2005 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
I hate to ruffle Daristani's feathers, but I definitely don't find the sound of Dutch to be very appealing. I believe that Franoois' original statement of Dutch not being beautiful should also stay since it is merely his opinion on the language.

To look at the flip side, how should we react to the common belief that Italian is considered the most beautiful language in the world? Would this not hint at a subtle cultural arrogance implying that all other languages are inferior or uglier than Italian? I know that statements such as "Dutch is not a beautiful language" and "Italian is a beautiful language." are opinions anyway and one should not make much of such statements in either a positive or negative way.

I agree that the beauty of a language is subjective. However I also respect other people's views on language whether they're positive or negative. For the record, I'm not a big fan of the Russian, English or Mandarin languages.

However, such opinions don't mean that I also hold the personality of the speakers of these languages in contempt because of their language. The only time when I would have a problem is if we would start to unjustly denigrate the speakers or users of that language because of perceived flaws in character, physicality or spirituality.

Edited by Chung on 29 September 2005 at 1:15pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Bart
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 6948 days ago

155 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, French, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese, Swedish

Message 11 of 40
29 September 2005 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
I doubt the guttural sounds can be said to characterise the Dutch language as Dutch spoken by the Flemish doesn't have these sounds!
2 persons have voted this message useful

orion
United States
Joined 6809 days ago

622 posts - 678 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 12 of 40
23 November 2005 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
What about learning materials? The only course I have looked at is Teach Yourself Dutch. I believe Pimsleur only has a 10 lesson set. IS there anything decent out there?

Also, do we need some sort of statement about how difficult it is to get a native speaker to actually speak Dutch to a learner? My experience has been that they immediately switch to English if they know you speak it.

Bart
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 6948 days ago

155 posts - 159 votes 

Message 13 of 40
23 November 2005 at 7:37am | IP Logged 
If someone would ask me I would, but I would indeed speak to them in English at first.

ferdi
Tetraglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 6863 days ago

41 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Turkish, Dutch*, English, German

Message 14 of 40
23 November 2005 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
Orion most Dutch speak good English , they don't know you learning Dutch , they just want to help you easy.

Flemish people speak with a really funny accent :d

Bart
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 6948 days ago

155 posts - 159 votes 

Message 15 of 40
23 November 2005 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
A funny accent in Dutch or in English?