Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC09 Russian & Hungarian (#lal) (+Nor.)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
172 messages over 22 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 21 22 Next >>
Othar
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6002 days ago

185 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Norwegian, Turkish

Message 9 of 172
30 November 2008 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:
Now... I think I will just panick when I try to L-R. When I don't get at least 80% of what I am listening to I usually do, but has someone done this as such an early level and found it helped any?

My mate and I do this with Norwegian. We were at Assimil lesson 30 when we decided to try this L-R thing. He used a book he knows very well and decided after some chapters that he doesn't even need to read the German book first.
I read a book I don't know very well. So I have to read it first in German. But it works for me. Once in a while I get confused when the Norwegian translation uses 2 sentences where German has only one, but this is not really a problem.

Edited by tja on 30 November 2008 at 8:04am

1 person has voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6471 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 10 of 172
30 November 2008 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
Leopejo wrote:

1) skim through the Assimil book, learn about pronunciation rules and basic grammar. In addition, learn some common words. Thus, you won't start Pimsleur completely from scratch and it will be much easier, both for vocabulary and grammar. Pimsleur doesn't explicitly teach grammar and sometimes their examples are not enough to grasp the concept. Pronunciation rules will help too for the later passage from speaking to writing.

My problem is that I can't do that "skim through" thing. I can't do such things without doing them properly. If I start with the book, I know I will be going hardcore at it copying everything etc. But I see Pimsleur only as a way of getting some additional vocabulary and exposure to the spoken part. I don't expect to learn much from it, really.

JohnnyR
Groupie
United Kingdom
how-to-learn-any-lan
Joined 5638 days ago

47 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 11 of 172
30 November 2008 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
Very interesting choice of languages, I would assume Norweigian and Swedish to be very close but I speak neither so how close are they really?

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6471 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 12 of 172
01 December 2008 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
They are very close, but parts of the vocabulary is different, and very many words, albeit very similar, will be spelled slightly differently. Pronunciation and melody also differ quite a lot. Also, Norwegian has two written variants of the language, and some of the words of one are identical to Swedish, while some of the other are as well, while between them, they differ. I was asked when I wrote in Norwegian if I wrote in nynorsk (the "other") or if I had some dialect. The truth was that I just didn't know which words were what ;)

There is currently an active thread on this topic somewhere on the forum, by the way.

Edited by tricoteuse on 01 December 2008 at 12:48am

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5944 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 13 of 172
01 December 2008 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
I can't wait to read how you tackle Hungarian Assimil. I'm ploughing through the course, albeit very slowly. It's a good course, but you really need to check the dictionary at the back on some lessons. The FSI Hungarian course is also very good, and free.

Best of Luck!!!

Edited by DaraghM on 01 December 2008 at 6:16am

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6471 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 14 of 172
01 December 2008 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
I can't wait to read how you tackle Hungarian Assimil. I'm ploughing through the course, albeit very slowly. It's a good course, but you really need to check the dictionary at the back on some lessons. The FSI Hungarian course is also very good, and free.

Best of Luck!!!

Thanks! :)
I glanced at FSI some 6 months ago and was just scared away by some very long list of greetings... as well as the PDF issue (I hate to read on a screen). Do you use them both at the same time?

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5944 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 15 of 172
01 December 2008 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
I was for a while, but I've temporarily stopped using the FSI course. I'm now using this time for my Russian. I hate learning off a screen as well, so I printed out whatever pages I needed to study. This meant I could fold them up, carry them in my pocket, and study at lunch, or while I was walking.

Edited by DaraghM on 01 December 2008 at 11:20am

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6471 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 16 of 172
06 December 2008 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
I'll start Hungarian tomorrow after my French exam, and yesterday I printed a small paper on pronunciation. If anything, it made me confused and made me doubt my English pronunciation. I will compare it to the French explanations in my Assimil instead, and hope those give me more self-confidence.

I have been writing a lot on lang-8, so I've gotten started with the Norwegian as well. Two posts so far, and both seemed successful, even though I still haven't really learnt what small words are bokmål or nynorsk. I also wrote a couple of long Russian posts, three I think, and at least one major French one.

I was revising some French sociolinguistics today, and realized that I *do* feel much more comfortable speaking French out loud than English. This is somewhat sad. English used to be my forte...

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version