Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC09 Russian & Hungarian (#lal) (+Nor.)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
172 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 21 22 Next >>
tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6471 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 57 of 172
13 January 2009 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

Pimsleur 26 and Assimil 24. I listened to the Assimil lesson quite some times, and felt guilty for not listening enough to the previous ones. On the 20th, I have decided to write my first lang-8 post in Hungarian. And this Saturday, I am going to start reading that Easy Reader.

RUSSIAN

Did a bit of listening! 10 minutes of Грозовой Перевал, a NHK news podcast (12 minutes or something like that) and some basic podcast that was just incredibly annoying. Oh, right, RussianPod101. Aleksey and I talked quite a lot about my trip to Russia today, and I feel I *really* need to get all the touristy phrases down and GAH, improve my comprehension of numbers when spoken. So that's why I thought a basic podcast could be good. But, must they speak among themselves? Can't they just do the lesson?
If anyone has any recommendations for good sources for these things (I have always resented those phrases, cause I weren't going to use them anyway, but now I probably will) I'd love some tips ;)
+ At least some chatting, which went rather smoothly.

FRENCH

Wrote a lang-8 post and listened to a Utopod podcast (35 minutes).
I completely forgot about my literary magazines and that I was supposed to read articles from them and learn the new words. This Friday morning it is!

Edited by tricoteuse on 13 January 2009 at 3:42pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5902 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 58 of 172
13 January 2009 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
Hey, just to say that I am proud of you. I have studied Russian, but never Hungarian. Your speed of learning Hungarian is truly amazing!

P.S. Wholeheartedly agree with Russianpod101. I am much more beginner than you, and I too find it incredibly dull and boring. And after listening to a 15 minutes podcast... I forgot the couple of new words there were :-P

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6471 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 59 of 172
14 January 2009 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Leopejo, nothing really says anything about how much I am learning ;)

HUNGARIAN

Pimsleur 27, which went well. A couple of more flashcards, so I think 16 or so new ones. Almost all of Assimil 25. When I came to the exercises I realized my knowledge of the words was just passive, so I will memorize them tomorrow and finish it.

RUSSIAN

I listened to a new NHK news podcast and had a 20 or 25 minute Skype conversation in Russian. I think it went rather well, at least I was able to babble on.
I also watched half of the movie Собачье Сердце. I love old movies, but I don't like the theme of this one, and the English subtitles were in three rows, which for me made following them a bit hard while trying to match them to the Russian speech.

This is weird, I had the impression I had done some more stuff today >_>

Lindley
Bilingual Triglot
Ukraine
Joined 5864 days ago

104 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, Ukrainian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 60 of 172
15 January 2009 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
Hi!

Here're some thoughts on the sentences that you've asked about.

1) "Салтыков-Щедрин изобразил тяжёлое положение крестьянства в лице лошади."
2) "Базаров - молодой человек с захудалым лицом."
3) "Катерина и Кулиниг - лучшие представители "тёмного царства."

1) The first one is the funniest. Literally it means "Saltykov-Schedrin showed a grave condition of the peasantry in the person of a horse". If you change it this way, the sentence becomes "normal".
В образе (image, character) Коняги Салтыков-Щедрин изобразил тяжёлое положение крестьянства.
or
Создав образ Коняги, Салтыков-Щедрин показал тяжёлое положение крестьянства.
Also, I've used the author's word Коняга (name of the tale, and proper name of the horse in this tale) instead of common "лошадь" -"horse", so that the reader understand that we're not talking about generic horse, but the certain one.

2) As for the second one, it's one of the most common mistakes. It's not a grammatic mistake per se, but the choice of sentence structure and words makes it funny. "захудалым" means decayed, and I seriously doubt that his face was exactly that. So we have to change this adjective, I'd choose "изможденным" - emaciated, gaunt. If we wanted to make this sentence even better (although after changing the adj it's correct), I'd suggest to use some kind of sentence structure which would allow us to avoid the following: "He is a man WITH emaciated face". Maybe smth like this: Несмотря на то, что Базаров был молодым человеком, у него (уже) было изможденное лицо. Despite the fact that (Even though) Bazarov was a young man, he had an emaciated face. Несмотря на его (молодой) возраст, у Базарова (уже) было изможденное лицо. In spite of his (young) age, Bazarov (already) had an emaciated face.

3) Usually we don't say "best representatives" in Russian, more natural-sounding phrase would be "typical representatives". This phrase is weird also because it's taken out of context and thus it's meaning is obscure. It'd be better to add some kind of explanation as to what is "dark kingdom", or give a reference to the author, e.g Катерина и Кулигин - типичные представители мира "темного царства" or Катерина и Кулигин - наиболее яркие представители "темного царства" Островского. (Katerina and Kuligin are the most vivid representatives of "dark kingdom" of Ostrovsky - exact translation in English sounds bad, I know).

Hope it helps!

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6471 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 61 of 172
16 January 2009 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
Thank you very much Lindley!

Hungarian

I did Pimsleur 29 (which means I only have one lesson left) and Assimil 25. I started using OneNote for Hungarian and I think it's a fabulous idea. I think I will stop using a real notebook for it altogether, things are just so super neat with OneNote and I have complete overview of all my information. And the color possibilities O_O If only a flashcard program could be integrated into it (I saw that OpenOffice had some such thing). I downloaded Mnemosyne to try it for Hungarian, but the design is really depressive. I will use it anyway. I've got to learn the words in the end.

Hungarians out there, what is the word for a journal post? An entry in a personal journal that is?

Russian

Gneh. Today has been a horrible day, but at least I read this article yesterday, http://warface.narod.ru/bunker2.htm, as my Thursday article (Thursday, Leopejo, not Friday! :P). I didn't add any words to Anki, but I didn't really feel like I came across that very many interesting words. The useful words I already knew, and the new ones were words I'm not super likely to need. I really liked the article though, it was very interesting!
Ah, I also did some listening. News.

French

I read three texts in one of my Magazines Littéraires. The Avant-Propos, an article on Les écrivains et l'argent and Tombouctou, les pistes du savoir. I found 17 new words or words that I wasn't really able to define properly. I'm just adding the words to OneNote for now.

----

Since DaraghM told me he would like to see a lang-8 post, I decided to paste my latest Russian one. *Before the corrections.* NOTE! No one has to correct this, it has already been corrected at lang-8.

"Мне на самом деле нравится читать художественную литературу, но иногда также приятно читать что-то другое. Художественная литература - это самая сложная часть литературы. Когда ты сначала читаешь роман, и потом статью или научную литературу, это так легко в сравнении с первом ;) Позавчера, я начала читать книгу "Поговорите и пишите по-русски правильно". Она смешная (потому что она такая показная), и я выучу много полезных слов!

Вчера, Том решился, что он снова начнёт заниматься кикбоксингом. Это приводило к тому, что мы сегодня вечером совершали пробежки, и сделали отжимания и другие упражнения. Вчера я слушала подкаст о качалке, и это было интересно. Мне трудно найти мотивацию, чтобы слушать что бы то ни было, но физическая нагрузка интересная. Мой отец и мой дедушка качались, когда они были "юными" (и немного потом тоже). В эти дни, я не могу идти в спортзал. "Мочь" здесь значит "хотеть". Но тренировать дома - это хорошо. Сейчас я хочу иметь гантели и может быть штангу с блинами, и мой папа хочет это мне покупать для дня рождения, но это в апреля...

Пора есть торт :)"

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5944 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 62 of 172
16 January 2009 at 8:59am | IP Logged 
этo очэнь интeрeснo. Большое спасибо :-)

Edited by DaraghM on 16 January 2009 at 9:00am

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6471 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 63 of 172
18 January 2009 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

I finished Pimsleur!
I haven't done any Assimil since I started with the Easy Reader, but I plan to do some tomorrow. Working with the Easy Reader is quite slow. I've tried to learn the words in the vocab list (and ended up moving my words from Mnemosyne to Anki, plus adding some more so I'm at 102 words there now). That's just the words they suppose you don't know, I don't know half of the other words either. Working with the text I am copying it out and analyzing each sentence, so that has made me go to my grammar book to figure out possession and such things.

RUSSIAN

Listened to another news podcast. I have no more Anki words right now, so I'm only doing reps, 150 or so a day. I did manage to read a couple of pages as well!

NORWEGIAN

Wrote a lang-8 post.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6471 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 64 of 172
19 January 2009 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

Finished Assimil 26 and did some word cramming in Anki. Kind of tiring, but weirdly enjoyable. I listened a whole lot to Assimil 26 and 27.

RUSSIAN

Listened to another news podcast, wrote a lang-8 post, read some pages in WH, added some new words to Anki, read through a chapter in my grammar book on comparatives and end stress in the short for adjectives. I feel guilty for neglecting grammar.

FRENCH

Wrote a lang-8 post.

NORWEGIAN

My boyfriend decided that from 14.00-15.00 it was Norwegian only and I wasn't allowed to speak Swedish. It was slightly scary, speaking Russian is actually easier than speaking Norwegian for me at this point :D I managed though, by correcting myself after every sentence, and Tom said I sounded Norwegian and not svorsk. I really doubt that though.
One interesting thing that he commented on was that "er" and "var" is pronounced with the -r in Norwegian, while in Swedish we tend say "ä(r)" and "va(r)" when speaking. I had never noticed this before.

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version