languagelearners.myf
Joined 5806 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 9 of 27
05 January 2009 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:

...Especially since today I went to the post office to pick up some packages that had arrived in my absense and I am now the proud owner of a French exercise book for C1/C2

Is it the one you asked me about?

Thom.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6282 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 10 of 27
05 January 2009 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
Yes :-) I decided to give it a go, because I'm not too sure how to go about improving my French at this stage, other than writing a lot. Thank you for alerting me to it!

Edited by Sprachprofi on 05 January 2009 at 2:54pm

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5806 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 11 of 27
05 January 2009 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Not a problem. Though I suppose I need to use it now. Can't have you finishing it before me. :p

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6282 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 12 of 27
06 January 2009 at 7:09am | IP Logged 
3 1/2 hours yesterday! :-) Must be due to the novelty of Anki. I added my Greek sentences to Anki as well. I have come to know a lot of the sentences quite well by now, so I will make fill-in-the-blank flashcards soon.

Big news: my boyfriend finally agreed to go to Greece with me in April, so Greek shall be my focus. However, I also plan to finish reading that Italian book, and I just discovered an Italian language-learning calendar I forgot I had, so I will also study that a little every day.

So here are my detailed targets for now:

At least 30 minutes a day on Chinese characters, at least 30 minutes a day on Greek, at least 15 minutes on Italian (reading or daily thing) ... if I have more or less time, those relations should not change, because they reflect my priorities at this point.

As soon as I can fit in the time, possibly starting February, I will also be working on my French, because I need to improve my level in order to graduate.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 06 January 2009 at 7:10am

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6282 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 13 of 27
11 January 2009 at 5:35am | IP Logged 
January 7th: 30 minutes spent on Anki, 45 minutes on a Greek lesson on Myngle.
January 8th: 1 hour spent on Chinese character study both with and without Anki, 45 minutes on a Greek lesson on Myngle.
January 9th: 1 1/2 hours spent on Chinese character study both with and without Anki, some of that was also spent studying Greek sentences.
January 10th: feeling awful all day, just did 45 minutes of vocabulary review on Anki.

I also keep reading that Italian book "Inciallah" but not tracking the time for that as I do it before sleeping.

Even minimal reviews take a lot of time now, because I typically have around 200 characters/words/sentences to review for Chinese alone. I'm very happy with how Anki spaces things out though.

Good news: There's a plugin for Anki that counts how many unique characters I know and allows me to compare them to frequency lists as well as HSK lists. I modified this plugin a little: it now also considers characters I put in a text file as known, so that I don't need to add e. g. 二 to my Anki cards just to get a realistic count of the characters I known. Now I am able to really keep track of how much I learned and how much further I need to go.

Bad news: According to this, I only knew 833 Hanzi when I started using Anki. Part of it is because to enter words into the text file, I looked at the HSK character lists and only entered characters that I could recognize immediately without any context whatsoever. Part of it must also be that I forgot a lot of characters I thought I had learned, or am re-learning characters I knew at some point. Anyway, this means my workload has to be steeper now, but at least it's easier to keep track.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 11 January 2009 at 5:55am

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6282 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 14 of 27
14 January 2009 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
Statistics for January 13rd, 2008, 20 days into the TAC:

Chinese characters: 1005 unique Hanzi! (-> 172 new, so 17 new a day) However, some of them are still quite new as I did a lot of cramming yesterday to reach this magic number. And I'm starting to confuse apparent synonyms, so my focus in the next period will be reading and reviewing characters.

Words and sentences are now in the same deck as the Hanzi, so let's just say I have 927 cards for 716 facts right now.

Greek sentences: 262 known. I should start to make cloze cards.

Italian book 1: page 50-something

Hours spent: 14 (these 10 days) + 16 (last 10 days) = 30 total in the TAC so far.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6282 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 15 of 27
18 January 2009 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
Good news and bad news.

The bad news: yesterday I was sick, so absolutely no study then, and even the days before I just reviewed my considerable pile of Anki cards. One of my university finals is on February 20th so I really should devote more time to studying marketing instead of more languages...

The good news: except for the day before yesterday. I went through the entire NPCR volume 1, read all the texts and looked through all the vocabulary and character-writing parts to parse out some new vocabulary items and hopefully a better understanding of the old ones. The plan is to do the reading exercises now and then move on and do the same with the other volumes of NPCR until I find a slightly challenging lesson, which I will study more in-depth.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 18 January 2009 at 2:23pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6282 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 16 of 27
26 January 2009 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
Well, I missed the next 10-day point, but here are the statistics for January 25th, 32 days into the TAC:

Chinese characters: 1056 unique Hanzi (-> 51 new, so only 4 new a day, falling behind schedule) At least all of them are confirmed, but I need to do more again. However, as I now know a lot of synonymous Hanzi, I feel that I really should focus on words and sentences instead...

Words and sentences are now in the same deck as the Hanzi.

Greek sentences: Still 262 known. I should start to make cloze cards and get back to my Greek.

Italian book 1: page 50-something

Swahili: Confident up to lesson 7 of Assimil. Yes, wanderlust got me a little. I also added more Arabic vocabulary to my Knuckles.

Hours spent: 7 (these 12 days) + 30 (from previous update) = 37 total in the TAC so far.

I am not proud of myself. I have cut back on the language learning and still I haven't managed to study for my marketing exam much at all. I'm starting to think that maybe the two aren't related at all. Anyway, at least I still managed to do half an hour a day on Anki except for two days, and more on two other days to make up for the lost time.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 26 January 2009 at 4:00am

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version