Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC 2010 - Team A - zenmonkey DE PT IT...

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
125 messages over 16 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16
Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5604 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 121 of 125
01 March 2010 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
Hi Zenmonkey,
It seems you worked hard in 2009.
Good luck for 2010!
I don't know if I am a good person for encouraging, I never manage to clean my desk!

Anya
1 person has voted this message useful

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6363 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 122 of 125
02 March 2010 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
Hi Anya,

Thanks! The desk gets buried with projects - clean one day and then overnight, boom! Bike parts, notes, bills - all things that take away from language learning. Just like right now.
Yesterday was a good kick off day for this. German F2F class that was difficult enought to make me struggle and give me material to learn this week. Portugues refresher in the car.
Best of luck on your studying, I'm very impressed with all that you are doing in terms of languages and I like the idea of bookworming!. Hope to read a little on the pluses and minuses of what you are doing over the year.

Edited by zenmonkey on 02 March 2010 at 8:48am

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5604 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 123 of 125
02 March 2010 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
I can already say that the plus of bookworming is that it's less boring than dealing with classical textbooks, the minus is it may be too complicated for languages I still in a weak level, so I have no impression of the fast progress...

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6363 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 125 of 125
28 December 2010 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
Well, I think I will close my TAC 2010 challenge with this post.

I didn't write much in the log as a lot of projects got in the way so I'll do an update:

German
- Has now become an active language, I use it or listen to it on an almost daily level. My grammar is awful and I still have miles to go but I consider I am actively learning it by using it. Classes continue almost once every week and I hear it or read it daily. So while I am not as far as I want to be I am happy with the path.

French
- Still orally fluent but my vocab has suffered some with German and living abroad, used daily with my daughters. My objectives of reading and writing each week were not met.

Spanish
- Actively used this year, it has improved a lot but my objectives of weekly use in writing are not met.

Italian
- A weak start, some work in the middle of the year, and then dropped for other things.
Reasonably understood during my travels but also forgotten. Inactive.

Portuguese
- Used in two trips to Brazil. Good beginning this year but inactive in December.

Arabic
- Nothing. But I had opted out early this year on working on this for other languages. Let's say we are at level zero.

Chinese
- A few weeks of work this summer, found a good book and method and made some advances, then dropped, so we are taking two steps forwrd and two back. objectives not achieved.

Ladakhi
- The (sur)prize of the year, I had not planned at all to work on this language, but I am traveling in January to the region and have been learning a few basics. Will work on that through January/February and re-assess.

Overall, I'm happy with the year which was a continuation of the acquired languages and toe-dipping in others to see what stuck. I'll continue with all of this in 2011.
My oldest daughter has caught the bug and is toe-dipping into Arabic or Chinese along with her 4 standard study languages (EN/SP/FR/DE).

This discussion contains 125 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version