28 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
FSI
United States
Joined 6155 days ago

550 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 25 of 28
12 January 2009 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
If you don't want this thread to be locked, I'd advise ignoring reineke instead of engaging him in a foreign language and derailing the purpose of the thread. LR topics sadly devolve into arguments frequently here, and things would be much smoother if we just bypassed distractions altogether.

Anyway, I think LR (or any method) works best when we adapt it to our own styles. Right now, I'm using it for Spanish with Don Quixote, and that book is mad long. But hearing so much language and understanding it is marvelous.

I'm doing a bit of Japanese as well, but not with LR, but with Michel Thomas' beginner course. Quite impressed with it so far. I want to see how much of Tujiko Noriko's Penguin 2009 I understand once I'm through with the course. Currently, I understand the word "ice cream", but I kind of knew that one going in. :D

Edited by FSI on 12 January 2009 at 3:26pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6235 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 26 of 28
04 November 2009 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
MarcoDiAngelo wrote:
After two chapters of a Hugarian book, I couldn't pick up ONE SINGLE WORD. :-) I presume the reason was unusual word order and distant grammar. I suppose if you know nothing of the target language's family or group, perhaps you should like to learn some basics.

Bizarre. I aligned some Hungarian texts some months ago (most with English, a few with French), and was picking up quite a few words in the process, despite trying to -avoid- doing so.

Hungarian has quite a lot of words that ought to be familiar - they're spelled oddly and crammed into a different grammar, but even so. A lot of them are Slavic, even.

I continue to prefer doing my comparing while listening, as one of many activities, rather than comparing ahead of time.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5807 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 27 of 28
04 November 2009 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
MarcoDiAngelo wrote:
After two chapters of a Hugarian book, I couldn't pick up ONE SINGLE WORD. :-) I presume the reason was unusual word order and distant grammar. I suppose if you know nothing of the target language's family or group, perhaps you should like to learn some basics.

Bizarre. I aligned some Hungarian texts some months ago (most with English, a few with French), and was picking up quite a few words in the process, despite trying to -avoid- doing so.

Hungarian has quite a lot of words that ought to be familiar - they're spelled oddly and crammed into a different grammar, but even so. A lot of them are Slavic, even.

As I always say -- the ability to spot the parallels in L-R is acquired over time, and most people who are successful with L-R didn't actually start with it. It's may well be something somewhere else in the learning process that teaches you what you need for L-R.

For example, today I skim-read over something in Dutch in my company's Yammer feed (Yammer is like Twitter, but for companies to use internally). I saw the word "meer" and immediately recognised it as "more", despite never having seen it before, because I tied it to the Scots word, which is pronounced exactly the same. I reckon I started to develop the strategy to compare words when I was studying French and Italian simultaneously at High School, but I didn't really develop it because we were discouraged from doing so (my teachers always loved warning us about the danger of false friends) and besides, we didn't get enough examples to show how the changes that occur between languages are fairly systematic and not entirely irregular. Michel Thomas actively encouraged comparison between languages and in the Spanish he demonstrated changes that were 90% systematic. The "strings" of sound changes in German may have been less systematic (and at first I thought they were useless) but they gave you a (vague and fuzzy) feel for how things work and opened up the idea that things that didn't sound all that similar were more or less the same thing.

Having been walked through this strategy, I'm now finding I can apply it myself without thinking about it. Welsh and Gaelic are about as far apart linguistically as English and the mainland Germanic languages, and there's the same sort of fuzzy relationship between Welsh words and Gaelic words as between German words and English words. From even just a small bit of study, my brain's starting to get a feel for possible sound changes, and soon I might even be able to guess at probable sound changes.

So, as I said, I reckon the ability to do L-R is a result of things previously learnt.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Javi
Spain
Joined 5777 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 28 of 28
05 November 2009 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
MarcoDiAngelo wrote:
Hello to everyone. Please don't consider me too optimistic; everything I now write is based on my personal experience.

I'm sure you all have heard of L-R. I have tried not the same, but a little different method, the difference being in this: I firstly read in target language, carefully comparing the sentences with Serbian text, and it was only after this step (which is by far the most important) that I listened to the audio.

How do you go about reading words that are new to you, and so you are not certain of their pronunciation? If you come up with the wrong sounds, do you stand corrected when you finally listen to the transcription or sometimes the wrong pronunciation sticks for a while?

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version