Triglot
United States
Joined 6651 days ago

380 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Italian, Turkish, Mandarin

Message 9 of 26
16 October 2006 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't want to do that kind of work. Seems like the kind of job that demands too much responsibility and doesn't give nearly enough credit in return.
1 person has voted this message useful

unlocked87
Groupie
United States
Joined 6415 days ago

42 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 10 of 26
17 October 2006 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
orion wrote:
GC wrote:
Why do you ask? Are you thinking about a future in the UN?

No not really, I just think it is cool that someone can change mental gears that fast. I have also wondered how spies can master a language so well that they have no trace of their own accent. Seems like a monumental accomplishment.

If I had to guess I would say that they hand pick people that were bilingual since a young age. That way they would have no accent and they wouldn't have to go through the rigorous, time wasting, and resource wasting process that would be training a spy to be completely fluent.

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6563 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 11 of 26
17 October 2006 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
I believe the KGB was well-known for training agents to speak other languages without accents. I suspect near-perfection is possible in all areas of language, including accent, if you're willing to go the distance.

alexptrans
Pentaglot
Israel
Joined 6560 days ago

208 posts - 236 votes 
Speaks: English, Modern Hebrew, Russian*, French, Arabic (Written)
Studies: Icelandic

Message 12 of 26
17 October 2006 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
I believe the KGB was well-known for training agents to speak other languages without accents. I suspect near-perfection is possible in all areas of language, including accent, if you're willing to go the distance.

President Putin, a former KGB agent, speaks perfect German. Some say it's better than his Russian.

There are Israeli army units that train their soldiers to be indistinguishable from native Arabic speakers. Their lives depend on that, which is quite a strong motivating factor.

Edited by alexptrans on 17 October 2006 at 4:49am

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6685 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 13 of 26
17 October 2006 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
I expect that spies would undergo some sort of accent training, maybe not that dissimilar to the methods that actors use.

Back on topic...UN interpreters have to undergo a heck of a lot of training before they are recruited. Courses in simultaneous interpretation are more or less compulsory from what I've heard and it could take years of training (and stress!) before you'd be recruited in such a high-level position. Just imagine the pressure that those interpreters at the Security Council must be under. One slight misinterpretation and you could end up with a serious problem, maybe even help trigger a war. A bit extreme, perhaps, but I would imagine that accuracy is absolutely vital.

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6454 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 14 of 26
17 October 2006 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
alexptrans wrote:

There are Israeli army units that train their soldiers to be indistinguishable from native Arabic speakers. Their lives depend on that, which is quite a strong motivating factor.

I would guess that because Hebrew and Arabic are fairly closely related, it would be comparatively easy for Israelis--at least Israelis who are native speakers of Hebrew--to pick up a good Arabic accent. At the very least, it would be easier for them than for me.

alexptrans
Pentaglot
Israel
Joined 6560 days ago

208 posts - 236 votes 
Speaks: English, Modern Hebrew, Russian*, French, Arabic (Written)
Studies: Icelandic

Message 15 of 26
17 October 2006 at 8:37am | IP Logged 
SamD wrote:

I would guess that because Hebrew and Arabic are fairly closely related, it would be comparatively easy for Israelis--at least Israelis who are native speakers of Hebrew--to pick up a good Arabic accent. At the very least, it would be easier for them than for me.

I don't know about that. There are many strange sounds in Arabic that do not (or no longer) exist in Hebrew. Arabic and Hebrew sound nothing alike when spoken. On the other hand, most Israelis have had at least some exposure to Arabic and its pronunciation pecularities, which may indeed make it easier for them to acquire a natural-sounding accent.

lengua
United States
polyglottery.wordpre
Joined 6479 days ago

549 posts - 595 votes 
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish, German

Message 16 of 26
17 October 2006 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
I suspect near-perfection is possible in all areas of language, including accent, if you're willing to go the distance.

I fully believe this. An accent is simply intonation, over and over and over and over again. Training in music, training in acting, lots and lots of listening, and/or hundreds of hours of dedicated practice are good ways to develop this. When one also considers that what qualifies as a native 'accent' can vary widely within a language, it becomes more of a matter of deciding *which* accent one wishes to become proficient in, and not simply developing a generalized native accent.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version