Germany
Joined 6460 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 17 of 26
17 October 2006 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
alexptrans wrote:
President Putin, a former KGB agent, speaks perfect German. Some say it's better than his Russian.

His German is excellent, but not perfect. I can tell he's no native speaker by his accent.
1 person has voted this message useful

sumabeast
Diglot
United States
Joined 6721 days ago

212 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)

Message 18 of 26
19 October 2006 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
alexptrans wrote:
[QUOTE=SamD]
I don't know about that. There are many strange sounds in Arabic that do not (or no longer) exist in Hebrew. Arabic and Hebrew sound nothing alike when spoken. On the other hand, most Israelis have had at least some exposure to Arabic and its pronunciation pecularities, which may indeed make it easier for them to acquire a natural-sounding accent.

no I'd disagree somewhat, spoken Arabic and Hebrew do have a similar sound to them, actually Hebrew sounds more like one of the Arabic dialects maybe like Lebanese Arabic.

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6810 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 26
19 October 2006 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
alexptrans wrote:
Arabic and Hebrew sound nothing alike when spoken.

I agree with sumabeast. In my opinion, they do sound similar.

lengua
United States
polyglottery.wordpre
Joined 6479 days ago

549 posts - 595 votes 
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish, German

Message 20 of 26
19 October 2006 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
Chalk me up in agreement as well. My first active experience with either was with Pimsleur, and it was quite interesting to note how similar they sounded.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6663 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 21 of 26
19 October 2006 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
I used to want to be an interpreter, but I eventually got burned out on it. I felt that for one thing, the hard work wasn't something I wanted to go with all the way, I heard the pay isn't what the general public thinks it usually is, and I wanted to travel more...I felt that if I were an interpreter I would be fairly limited in the traveling I got to do, if I had to stay in an office, courtroom, etc, and translate, or even if I got to travel with a diplomat.

Plus the stress looks like it would make it a real pain. I read somewhere that the amount of stress on the mind of an interpeter is under is equivalent to that of neurosurgeon while operating.

Once a person told me they had visited a school in Switzerland that specialized in translating, and I remember him telling me seeing people on break and strung out with trembling cigerattes between their fingers.

I wouldn't mind being able to speak at that level of the language, but that particulary profession is one that I'm not interested in anymore. However, sometimes it still has attractions to it that I see, and I still hope for the day when I can jump in and do an impromptu interpretation between a tourist or something.

alexptrans
Pentaglot
Israel
Joined 6560 days ago

208 posts - 236 votes 
Speaks: English, Modern Hebrew, Russian*, French, Arabic (Written)
Studies: Icelandic

Message 22 of 26
19 October 2006 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
patuco wrote:

Really? That's interesting. From my perspective they sound very different, but maybe that's just because I'm (practically) a native speaker of Hebrew.

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6810 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 23 of 26
19 October 2006 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
alexptrans wrote:
patuco wrote:

Really? That's interesting. From my perspective they sound very different, but maybe that's just because I'm (practically) a native speaker of Hebrew.

I get the chance to hear both languages here in Gibraltar (although Arabic is more "visible" than Hebrew) and I usually have to do a double-take at the speaker to check whether he's wearing a kippah or not before I can identify the language. I will admit that identifying the language has become somewhat easier now that I've studied some Arabic, but it's still easy to confuse them.

lengua
United States
polyglottery.wordpre
Joined 6479 days ago

549 posts - 595 votes 
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish, German

Message 24 of 26
19 October 2006 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
Journeyer wrote:
I used to want to be an interpreter, but I eventually got burned out on it...

Plus the stress looks like it would make it a real pain.

I agree. Too much work, too little recompense.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version