Tags: Interpreting | Career
 Language Learning Forum : Languages & Work Post Reply
26 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
alexptrans
Pentaglot
Israel
Joined 6560 days ago

208 posts - 236 votes 
Speaks: English, Modern Hebrew, Russian*, French, Arabic (Written)
Studies: Icelandic

Message 25 of 26
20 October 2006 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
patuco wrote:

I get the chance to hear both languages here in Gibraltar (although Arabic is more "visible" than Hebrew) and I usually have to do a double-take at the speaker to check whether he's wearing a kippah or not before I can identify the language. I will admit that identifying the language has become somewhat easier now that I've studied some Arabic, but it's still easy to confuse them.

It was the same for me with Romance languages before I started learning French. I still can't tell the difference between the various Chinese dialects/languages. Interestingly, it's very difficult for me to tell one Slavic language from another - except for Russian, of course :).
1 person has voted this message useful

iouabook
Bilingual Diglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4665 days ago

10 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish*, French

Message 26 of 26
30 July 2011 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
For me interpreting is the most exciting, challenging and rewarding job in the world. And I do feel frustrated once in a while, though I suppose everybody does with their jobs too. Interpreting is very hard a hard job to do, no doubt about that: you never stop learning, you never stop studying. However, if you want to be a good/outstanding professional in any field, you also have to work hard and accept life-long learning as part of the process.
Best,
:)
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version