United Kingdom
geocities.com/jradet
Joined 7002 days ago

521 posts - 485 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, GermanB1

Message 9 of 35
04 April 2005 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
I can't make my mind between Pimsleur Polish I (30 Units) and FSI Polish. Both are around US $100 and I've already done the Pimsleur Polish 10-unit course. However, I've read some comments that FSI courses are traditional and not so interactive (I have the FSI Swedish and it looks old-fashioned).
1 person has voted this message useful

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7171 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 35
04 April 2005 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
FSI is usually way more complete than 3 volume of Pimsleur, let alone one. How many tapes with FSI Polish?

jradetzky
Triglot
United Kingdom
geocities.com/jradet
Joined 7002 days ago

521 posts - 485 votes 
1 sounds

Message 11 of 35
04 April 2005 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
On one website they say the FSI Polish FAST Course is made up of 14 Audio Cassettes or CD's and a 200+ Page Bound Textbook and on another site they say it is 4 cassettes and a 450 page book. What is "le bon" site for buying it?

Artur
Poland
Joined 6958 days ago

9 posts - 11 votes

Message 12 of 35
15 April 2005 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Being a native speaker of Polish I must warn you. I have some experience with Pimsleur and can assure you that its 10 lessons don't even begin to dabble your feet in the complexity of that language. The only good things about Polish is that once you know how to read individual letters and some combinations (like sz, cz, dz, ść etc) you can learn a lot even without tapes as its phonetic system allows close and fixed correspondence between speech and writing. Grammar on the other hand is perhaps a greater challege than learning several thousand chinese characters. And even when you have learned it, knowing it is one thing and being able to use it spontaneously is completely another. Years and years of slogging through our beloved cases, prefixes and suffixes. But I wouldn't like to be a defeatist. I have heard several people who actually mastered my mother tongue so good luck! :-)

Edited by Artur on 15 April 2005 at 9:40pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 13 of 35
22 April 2005 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
For tapes, the only good ones out there are the 19 tapes that come with the course "Beginning Polish" by Dr. Schenker of Yale University. The tapes contain the classroom drills that are printed in the textbook.

There're some reviews of the kit at this address:
http://languagenetwork.tripod.com/polish_instruction/isbn_03 00016530.htm

There's an excellent Polish site at from the University of Pittsburgh at: http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/ (in particular, look for "first year Polish course")

Apparently the online course is being updated continuously and not all of the chapters have sound and video recordings yet. However it has lots of information with plenty of exercises.
2 persons have voted this message useful

madbear
Poland
Joined 6937 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English

Message 14 of 35
06 May 2005 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
I think that the most difficult thing at the beginning is to learn how to pronunce properly Ś, Ć, Ń and Ź. Understanding spoken Polish will be very easy because as I noticed Poles speak slightly slower than Germans or Britons in their native tongues. And Polish grammar, it would be a great challange to master it but only for someone with bad approach to it. I browsed some web pages about Polish and you may find my advice useful. The only thing you have to learn is recognition of tenses. If you go through it you may throw out your grammar handbook. Don't worry about the rest. The case system and the rest of grammar you will learn in natural way by listening and reading. I know quite a few people who tried to learn Polish, and those one who tried it by learning grammar rules have been defeated.

jradetzky
Triglot
United Kingdom
geocities.com/jradet
Joined 7002 days ago

521 posts - 485 votes 
1 sounds

Message 15 of 35
06 May 2005 at 9:38am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I am starting to see the complexities of Polish grammar as I move on my Assimil course. I think that's why they keep on putting off formal grammar explanations.

Nephilim
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6940 days ago

363 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish

Message 16 of 35
09 May 2005 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
This is my reply to a mail I had from jradetzky. I'll post it here as it might be useful to other people in the forum. I'm an English man living and working in Warsaw and having spent some time on Polish I can recommend some good materials. For instance, I have a couple of good books and a really great grammar that I'd recommend to those of you wanting to learn Polish.

First of all the course books. The first one is called Cześć, Jak się masz? and takes you from beginners’ level to intermediate. There are about 14 chapters and the dialogues are shorts texts which follow the adventures of a French guy called Michel and his adventures in Poland. The story helps a lot as the sections are easy to memorise and there isn’t too much new stuff in each chapter. Also, the grammar is explained in such a way that it is always easy to understand.

The second book is the sequel to Cześć, Jak się masz? and is called Kiedyś wrócisz tu…. and this takes you from intermediate to advanced. As you might expect the second book is twice as thick as the first having some 350 pages. Again there are 15 chapters and they all follow are similar pattern. First of all you have some quite tough reading texts to introduce the topic of the chapter and then you have some patterns and expressions and some vocabulary work. This is usually followed by some dialogue to illustrate the new vocabulary and place it in a more meaningful context. Next there are usually a few grammar points explained with perhaps some cultural pointers and then some work on idioms. A Great book, as far as books go. The one think I didn’t mention was that it’s all in Polish. Not such a big problem as the instructions tend to be repeated a lot and there are usually examples to help you.

The grammar book is great, in fact it is really two books because the grammar book also has a companion work book. The book is titled Polish – An Essential Grammar by Diane Bielec and is published by Routledge books. It contains 16 chapters and each chapter is devoted to one grammatical section such as Verbs (chapter 5); adverbs (chapter 9); prepositions (chapter 10) etc. It’s very well written, very systematic and easy to work with. Hope this helps. Nephilim

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version