Diglot
Poland
Joined 6940 days ago

363 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish

Message 25 of 35
09 August 2005 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Mello,

I live in Poland, where I work as an English teacher. I am of course English not Polish but I will help you any way I can. What help do you need?
1 person has voted this message useful

Virgil
United States
baptistbiblebeliever
Joined 6552 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English
Studies: Polish

Message 26 of 35
26 May 2006 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
For tapes, the only good ones out there are the 19 tapes that come with the course "Beginning Polish" by Dr. Schenker of Yale University. The tapes contain the classroom drills that are printed in the textbook.

There're some reviews of the kit at this address:
http://languagenetwork.tripod.com/polish_instruction/isbn_03 00016530.htm

There's an excellent Polish site at from the University of Pittsburgh at: http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/ (in particular, look for "first year Polish course")

Apparently the online course is being updated continuously and not all of the chapters have sound and video recordings yet. However it has lots of information with plenty of exercises.

I purchased these tapes about five years ago and was very disappointed with them. Not well copied and very hard to hear.

However - GOOD NEWS!

All of the lessons and the drills (hundreds hours at least of material - which was on the tapes [I paid close to $160.00 for them] is now available as a FREE download of mp3 files.

Here:

http://www.cls.yale.edu/polish/

Enjoy!

2 persons have voted this message useful

Virgil
United States
baptistbiblebeliever
Joined 6552 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes

Message 27 of 35
26 May 2006 at 7:14am | IP Logged 

It is possible to create a folder on your pc and then use most any music program (I have MusicMatch) to convert them to CD. As I've only just discovered this resource I've not yet done this - but I will let you all know how many CD's you can figure on. There are 85 files each (I believe) 35-40 minutes each. Perhaps I'll be able to put two files per CD.

andee
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6872 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 28 of 35
27 May 2006 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
Virgil wrote:
All of the lessons and the drills (hundreds hours at least of material - which was on the tapes [I paid close to $160.00 for them] is now available as a FREE download of mp3 files.

Here:

http://www.cls.yale.edu/polish/

Enjoy!

Thanks for the link. And lucky for me I've found a used copy of the book for next to nothing. Brilliant!

Virgil
United States
baptistbiblebeliever
Joined 6552 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes

Message 29 of 35
28 May 2006 at 7:55am | IP Logged 

I find they are excellant if for no other reason just the repititioius drilling and pronunciation help. I'd say that the best result for me is that when I do try to speak the language - native speakers commend the fact that I can sound out the difficult words.

I suppose, at this time, my most frequent comment is: "Nie mowiem po polsku zybt dobrze."

But I do appreciate the fact that I often hear: "pan mowie po polsku bardzo dobrze."

So, I keep on trudging along.

Best of luck to you, in your learning, andee!

Terence
United Kingdom
Joined 6187 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 30 of 35
26 May 2007 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
Hi Virgil

I own both of the books "Beginning Polish" by Dr. Schenker. Thanks to your link above I also have the audio files.

As you have already been working through the book I'd like to ask you at what sort of pace do you work at to complete a lesson?

I realise everyone learns at their own pace but as a general guide, would a target of two weeks per lesson be a reasonable assumption, if I was to spend approx an hour a day on it? Working at that pace it would likely take me a year to complete the 25 lessons.

I would be interested to hear of your experience with the book. Many thanks!

Przemek
Hexaglot
Poland
multigato.blogspot.c
Joined 6270 days ago

107 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, SpanishC2, Italian, Portuguese, French
Studies: Turkish, Hindi, Arabic (Written)

Message 31 of 35
03 June 2007 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
Hi there!
I see there are some people interested in learning Polish. Well, not easy task, but why should it be more difficult than let's say Mandarin? I'm a native, so if you have any questions or doubts don't hesitate to ask.
I look aroung in some bookstores, there is quite a choice of learning material in English, German, Italian and Spanish.

Rmss
Triglot
Spain
spanish-only.coRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6359 days ago

234 posts - 248 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 32 of 35
10 November 2007 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
Is there any chacne to get the Beginning Polish book in ebook form? I searched the internet for it but it only lists paper books, which are just impossible to ship from the shops where I found it to my country.

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version