Groupie
Norway
Joined 5639 days ago

56 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: French

Message 1 of 19
07 February 2009 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
I'm currently working my way through my first French book (yes, yes, no prizes for guessing which one), but it's time to consider which book(s) to read next. I would very much appreciate it if someone could recommend me some relatively easy French books, preferably not too long.

Thank in advance.
1 person has voted this message useful

Seraven
Canada
Joined 6115 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 2 of 19
07 February 2009 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure what your French level's at, but, if you're willing to challenge yourself a little, I'd recommend reading something by Albert Camus. He has a very simple, straight-forward prose style similar to Hemingway. I have L'ÉTRANGER and, while I haven't read it yet, from what I've gleaned from it, it shouldn't give you too much trouble. Maybe someone will disagree with me. Either way, at least you'll be reading something interesting.

dolly
United States
Joined 5601 days ago

191 posts - 376 votes 
Studies: Latin

Message 3 of 19
07 February 2009 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
My first French book was a translation of the Bible called Parole de Vie. It's written in français fondemental (only 3000 vocabulary words).

Jacques Prévert wrote in simple language, and this is a dual language edition of some of his poems:

http://www.amazon.com/Paroles-Selected-Lights-Pocket-French/ dp/0872860426/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234043323&sr= 8-12

diabolo menthe
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5784 days ago

68 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Swedish, Japanese

Message 4 of 19
08 February 2009 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
I would agree that L'étranger is of an easier level.

I would also suggest French translations of books you might have already read. I once read Nick Hornby's High
Fidelity
in French (though I haven't actually read it in English), and it was one of the easiest reads I've had.

.automne
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
Joined 5639 days ago

56 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English

Message 5 of 19
09 February 2009 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

I would have expected L'étranger to be rather difficult, but I'm glad to hear it's not.

De toute façon, merci beaucoup pour votre aide!

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5845 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 6 of 19
09 February 2009 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
Le petit prince is probably the most obvious choice, but it is not as simple as you might first think.

There are some fun children's book out there. Personally I really enjoined "On a un monstre dans la classe". Really neat humour, especially if you are 10 years old ;p.

Here's the book on amazon:

http://www.amazon.fr/un-monstre-dans-classe/dp/2092507265

Hey, it's only 5 euro!

Edited by Sennin on 09 February 2009 at 11:32am

gebandemuishond
France
Joined 5626 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes

Message 7 of 19
09 February 2009 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
Le Petit Nicolas - I think was the first french book I ever read and I'd definitely recommend it. It's told from the perspective of a ten-year old boy, and as such it uses fairly simple language, e.g. no passé simple (apart from one chapter which is a slightly tongue in cheek narration of a football match). It's also full of wry, humourous observations on the sometimes strange behaviour of adults, making it a very entertaining read.

Otherwise, I've found La grammaire est une chanson douce and The Chevaliers du Subjonctif by Erik Orsena to be good reads, and don't worry, they're stories not textbooks!

Dan
2 persons have voted this message useful

!LH@N
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6632 days ago

487 posts - 531 votes 
Speaks: German, Turkish*, English
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Spanish

Message 8 of 19
10 February 2009 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
You might want to take a look at Harry Potter, too. I just finished it (my first book in French) and it seemed very easy (I guess the reason is because I know some of the movies).

Regards,
Ilhan

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version