aka a.ardaschira, Athena, Michael Thomas
United States
Joined 6412 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 89 of 117
26 August 2007 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Good point there Jeff, one's time for recreation might be limited due to being in the middle of a war. If it had been me, I might not have been able to think about much of anything but survival.
2 persons have voted this message useful

nhk9
Canada
Joined 6592 days ago

290 posts - 319 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 90 of 117
27 August 2007 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Kugel wrote:
Is this the same guy that teaches over at New College in San Fransisco? Why of all places did he decide to teach there?

As far as I know, this is the only website out there that has a sizable amount of language learning information. All the others are just minor blogs or storefronts. Why would a language enthusiast simply drop all contact with the forum? 15 min every weekend is not going to ruin somebody's schedule. To say it would would be dishonest.

It would've been nice to see how Ardashir responded to the guy selling his Pimsleur products a week or two ago.    

You have to understand that he comes here not to demonstrate his abilities, but primarily to share his experiences in learning languages. If you've read some of his posts you would know that it probably took him hours to type some of the longer ones, as those ones required some critical thinking. 15 minutes simply won't do.

While this forum is one of the better sites out there regarding language acquisition, there are simply too few material on less popular languages. As far as I can tell the usual ones actively discussed on this forum are: French, Spanish, Italian, German, Russian, Swedish, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and Arabic. Ardaschir has a huge library of his own, so he will learn more about Urdu, Persian using his library.

Edited by nhk9 on 27 August 2007 at 10:54pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7044 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 91 of 117
09 September 2007 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
Greetings. I have not written in some time due to a great number of reasons, most of which have absolutely nothing to do with this forum, such as escaping a war zone, enjoying my two young sons, and balancing my languages. I recognize that I really have no choice but to interact with a computer for a certain amount of time each day, but I do not like doing this, and so I try very hard to limit that time. This forum is certainly one of the very best aspects of the whole internet culture, and so I would like to try to work it into my routine again, but I will not be able to post on the scale I did previously. For a while I felt that I had already said pretty much everything I had to say here, but enough time has elapsed that it seems we might hope to have some interesting discussions again. I have gained some new perspectives on the art of polyglottery over the past few years, and I would indeed like to share them with people who might possibly care about them. I am wondering what the best way for me to do that might be. I do not like ignoring any pointed questions that are directed my way, but I cannot handle the volume I used to get here. Unfortunately, I have yet to finish my book on language learning —- I have reworked it too many times and remain forever dissatisfied with it. Perhaps I ought to jettison it and begin anew. It is probably nothing more than an illusory dream, but I must confess that I do fantasize about ways of becoming a professional foreign language coach, counselor, or consultant, or of opening a foreign language exercise center, perhaps along the lines of a gym, perhaps along the lines of an idyllic retreat center. I have long since realized that there is no way to work polyglottery into any established educational curriculum, so the idea of founding an institute devoted solely to this pursuit has also crossed my mind. There are a fair number of people in the world who would say that they would like to learn a foreign language, but all too few act on that for polyglottery to be a lucrative career. Still, polglottery is very much its own reward… and with that, let me get back to my pen and my paper and my Arabic.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 92 of 117
09 September 2007 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
Welcome back! I've learned a lot from your posts, and your new ideas sound very interesting. I for one am glad to see you here again.

Vlad
Trilingual Super Polyglot
Czechoslovakia
foreverastudent.com
Joined 6372 days ago

443 posts - 576 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, Hungarian*, Mandarin, EnglishC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Serbian, French
Studies: Persian, Taiwanese, Romanian, Portuguese

Message 93 of 117
09 September 2007 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
Welcome back!

I haven't had the chance to be on this forum while you were an active member, but I have read the praisings of other members and your posts aswel.

can't wait for your input!

all the best.

p.s.: the foreign language excersise center is a smashing idea. if you can, keep us updated.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6463 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 94 of 117
09 September 2007 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
Welcome.
Tell us if you publish the book definitively. I have read your posts here and they are very useful, for example, the shadowing technique.

Best regards.

nissimb
Tetraglot
Groupie
India
tenjikuyamato.blogsp
Joined 6202 days ago

79 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: Marathi*, Hindi, English, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Esperanto, Indonesian

Message 95 of 117
09 September 2007 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
Welcome back, Ardaschir, it is great to see you back. Similarly as many others, I joined this forum after you were no longer posting here, but I always found your posts to be very interesting and informative. Your idea of opening a 'Polyglottery Institute' is very exciting. I wish you all the best and hope to hear latest news about your upcoming book and polyglottery institute:)) Cheers!!

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6227 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 96 of 117
09 September 2007 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
Ardaschir wrote:
I have gained some new perspectives on the art of polyglottery over the past few years, and I would indeed like to share them with people who might possibly care about them. I am wondering what the best way for me to do that might be. I do not like ignoring any pointed questions that are directed my way, but I cannot handle the volume I used to get here. Unfortunately, I have yet to finish my book on language learning —- I have reworked it too many times and remain forever dissatisfied with it. Perhaps I ought to jettison it and begin anew.

Is there any chance of making a pre-print or draft version available, either of it as it is now, or if you decide to jettison it? I know I've been looking forward to reading it since I heard of it.

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version