Bilingual Tetraglot
Algeria
Joined 5532 days ago

188 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, Arabic (classical)*, French, English

Message 1 of 70
09 April 2009 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Bonjour ;)
I am trying to learn Spanish at the moment with Pimsleur and Michel Thomas courses and it is going pretty fine fortunatly. My goal for Spanish is to be capable of handling everyday's conversations without much advanced vocabulary. I read in an article that we only use 1500 words (in any language) to express and deal with each other,so is it enough to be "well" in Spanish since I am only learning it for fun ?
Thank you
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5799 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 70
09 April 2009 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
There is no ideal number. There are words you can't get by without. You only need the words you're going to use. I couldn't really get by in any country without the word "internet", others need "motorbike". You know what you want to say. If you can't say it when you finish the course, just look it up!

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5663 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 3 of 70
09 April 2009 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
Basically, as many words you can learn.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6234 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 4 of 70
09 April 2009 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
You only need the words you're going to use.

I have to disagree with that. There's an awful lot of things that I don't ever really intend on personally saying, but that doesn't mean I have no desire to understand it. I think you need to cover as much everyday vocabulary as possible, and then some. Looking things up is of course always open when reading, but there's no time to look things up while having a conversation, while watching TV, or listening to the radio.

And in response to the inevitable answer, "Well, if you're in the middle of a conversation, you can just ask your conversation partner what the word means" - yes, but having to ask what every other word means certainly makes conversation difficult. :)

Toufik18
Bilingual Tetraglot
Algeria
Joined 5532 days ago

188 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, Arabic (classical)*, French, English

Message 5 of 70
09 April 2009 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
Hummm I see, I though that if I learnt 5 words per day plus some grammar study I'd be able to reach +1500 words in less that a year so I can move towards the next language.I'll try to learn as many as possible ,but since I know French and English, is it okay that I enrich my vocabulary in those 3 languages simultaneously? I mean i'll be learning Spanish from the basics and enriching my vocabulary in both FR and ENG.
Thank you

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6234 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 6 of 70
09 April 2009 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that. Most people here tend to suffer from wanderlust a bit, and work on multiple languages at once.

leonidus
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6114 days ago

113 posts - 123 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, French
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 7 of 70
09 April 2009 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
5 000 most frequently used words (active vocabulary) should get you by in most situations and make sure you keep a dictionary handy for another 5 000, which are used less often, but if you wish to understand 99% of newspapers and TV, you still need to understand them at least. They would be your passive vocabulary.

As for 1 500 words, I don't think that's enough, or you'll end up asking your interlocutor every other minute what this or that word means, or looking up every other word in a dictionary when reading a book or newspaper.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5635 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 70
09 April 2009 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Toufik, I understand that you want to reach an intermediate level in a foreign language. I am in a comparable situation with my Turkish, therefore I made a word count of my textbook. It is my estimation that with a vocabulary of 1000-1500 words you are still on a beginner level. To reach the intermediate level you will need more words. With my other languages I have never counted the words, but with Turkish I will do it, so that I - while progressing - will be able to quantify such a question also on a higher level.

Fasulye-Babylonia

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version