IndonesiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5438 days ago

60 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Indonesian

Message 49 of 54
20 June 2009 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
William Camdem wrote:
My German is pretty good, but I have often found High German dialects incomprehensible, especially Austrian ones.

Well, actually, High German or Hochdeutsch is the standard dialect they teach foreigners (and their own schoolkids). In Austria and Bavaria, a lot of people speak High German too these days, but the traditional dialect is Oberdeutsch.

Personally, I have next to no exposure to Oberdeutsch, nnot even enough to know how well I understand it. I do, however understand Platt and Berlinisch, and have even manage to fake the latter to the extent that a native German speaker was sure I was a Berliner. The worst trouble I have had with a German dialect was with a woman from Switzerland. I was walking home when an attractive blond woman asked me for directions. It happened I was going the same way, so we walked together for a while chatting. Then she asked where I had just been, and I replied that I had been playing Skat (a German card game). She immediately concluded, correctly, that I must be fluent in German, and immediately switched to her dialect of the language, speaking at about twice the word rate of most Germans, and I had trouble picking up the odd word.

In another incident, I was sitting at the breakfast table in a B&B in Oxford, wondering what language the young men at the next table were speaking. I decided it must be a Germanic language, but not one I was familiar with, and wondered briefly whether it might be Norwegian. Eventually, with careful listening, I worked out they were from Yorkshire. After that, I had no trouble understanding them.

I have had a similar experience watching a Quebecois movie on TV; it took me a long while to work out what the language was, and once I had, it was quite comprehensible. OTOH, I once had a friend from Haute-Savoie, and I could never understand him, and so we spoke German.... Later I spent a year living in Haute-Savoie (or dividing my time between there and Geneva), and it didn't worry me.
1 person has voted this message useful

Monitor16807
Diglot
Canada
Joined 5487 days ago

21 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English, French*
Studies: German, Latin

Message 50 of 54
20 June 2009 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
WillH wrote:
zerothinking wrote:
I can't understand Canadian French very well. But that's only because I haven't been
exposed to it. With exposure it'd be as easy as anything.

I could say the same for Mandarin =D

No, I must agree with him, at first I couldn't understand them very well.
But after maybe few hours I could understand them quite clearly.
Of course they have their slang and such but nothing incomprehensible.
Also depending on who you meet their level of standard French might change heavily, I find the urban accent way more comprehensible than the rural one.

ofdw
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5650 days ago

39 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*, Italian

Message 51 of 54
20 June 2009 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
Ivana_B wrote:
I don`t think joining in the EU will change anything in with the languages, but you never know ;)

Click here: Expanding EU desperately seeking interpreters — EUbusiness.com - business, legal and economic news and information

I think this was the issue the previous poster was referring to - if you think about it, every new language within the EU requires a whole set of interpreters for each of the exisiting languages, so the numbers soon mount up!

quetzacoatl
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5491 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 52 of 54
20 June 2009 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
Tezza wrote:
ofdw wrote:
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Geordie English (that of Newcastle and surrounding areas in NE England). A strong Geordie accent is really impenetrable, and there are a lot of dialect words and phrases, too!

I'm from Newcastle and sometimes I hear that apparently Geordies are hard to understand. I don't have the strongest accent but I can see how, with the way some people up here talk, that would be the case. Most of the phrases and weird slang which only seems to be used up here is really for the older generation though (such as canny, pet, hither, netty, clarts, etc). To be honest, the worst offenders by far are the 'charvers' (most people call them chavs since The Sun had a huge love affair with that word for a while). But, happily, they're the very people you don't ever want to talk to.

Eh?. I hear canny, pet, marra, hyem, craic, dollin, hinney all the time in Sunderland and then at my college in Newcastle. In fact I hear loads of old North-East Dialect slang still throughout the normal youth of the North-East not just charvers. I also know some intelligent charvers. Exception not the rule though. It's not their fault the music and dress they enjoy
When I meet someone not from the North-East or I'm talking to someone on Teamspeak
(Oh and for christ sake Americans, we are not Scottish. Stop calling me Scottish.)
I just tone down my accent and pronounce my word's as the Queen intended :P

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6067 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 53 of 54
22 June 2009 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
RBenham wrote:
William Camdem wrote:
My German is pretty good, but I have often found High German dialects incomprehensible, especially Austrian ones.

Well, actually, High German or Hochdeutsch is the standard dialect they teach foreigners (and their own schoolkids). In Austria and Bavaria, a lot of people speak High German too these days, but the traditional dialect is Oberdeutsch.

I said High German dialects because I have encountered them, unlike Low German of which I have little experience, other than reading examples on the Internet. There is a distinction between the standard language, often called Hochdeutsch or High German, and the various High German dialects which are not Low German, but are often difficult if not impossible to understand if you only know the standard language.

RBenham
Triglot
Groupie
IndonesiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5438 days ago

60 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Indonesian

Message 54 of 54
22 June 2009 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
William, the fact remains that Austrian is not Hochdeutsch or High German.

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version