linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5811 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 17 of 51
19 July 2009 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
parasitius wrote:
considering so few on this board could stomach the idea of 10 hours of LR in a day and just argued instead of trying it,

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: there aren't enough hours in an average lifetime to try out everything that has ever been suggested. There is nothing to be scorned about taking a rational decision on which to try.
1 person has voted this message useful

parasitius
Diglot
United States
Joined 5798 days ago

220 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Cantonese, Polish, Spanish, French

Message 18 of 51
19 July 2009 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
parasitius wrote:
considering so few on this board could stomach the idea of 10 hours of LR in a day and just argued instead of trying it,

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: there aren't enough hours in an average lifetime to try out everything that has ever been suggested. There is nothing to be scorned about taking a rational decision on which to try.

That's fine and well and I agree — but my comment is mainly aimed towards a certain subset of people here who contributed more to the 60 page LR thread in the form of completely non-empirical counter-arguments than it would have taken to just put 50 hours into doing the actual experiment (or doing something productive otherwise than pretending one can understand the whole of the universe from his armchair without ever experimenting).

IronFist
United States
Joined 6237 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 19 of 51
31 October 2011 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
I was going to make a similar topic but searched and found this one instead.

I'm curious about some of the longer-term "smart drugs" (as opposed to using "speed" like was mentioned early on in the thread) such as Piracetam, Aniracetam, Sulbutiamine, etc.

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5218 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Studies: Norwegian

Message 20 of 51
31 October 2011 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
IronFist wrote:
I was going to make a similar topic but searched and found this one instead.

I'm curious about some of the longer-term "smart drugs" (as opposed to using "speed" like was mentioned early on in the thread) such as Piracetam, Aniracetam, Sulbutiamine, etc.

Coincidentally, I've been taking Piracetam, Oxiracetam and Alpha GPC daily for a week and have begun to notice some subtle changes. Unfortunately I just caught a horrible cold so I'm a bit worse than usual at the moment, but the other day I started to notice some subtle changes in my ability to read and remember things. I found words from flashcards came to mind more quickly, and these are new words that I've been learning from context which are not cognates.

I also found studying from my Biology textbook a little easier as well. I felt I could remember more from a paragraph with one reading than I had before and my concentration was better. These effects however are like those that I can have on a really good day though so my experience may be unrelated to what I've been taking. Only long-term use will allow me to find out.

My mother started taking Piracetam too as well as a choline bitartrate supplement as her mind is usually very foggy due to her having CFS but she has noticed quite a big difference in her ability to think and remember things. Whether or not such a difference is down to placebo though is perhaps hard to tell, however she has tried other supplements in an effort to get her mind working better with nowhere near the effect she has experienced over the last few days.

Disclaimer: Please note that I am not necessarily advocating the taking of nootropic supplements/drugs. I am personally taking these to help combat some issues I've had with concentration for some time now without having to resort to stronger, potentially more harmful substances. While nootropics appear to do very little harm even with long-term usage it is probably not advisable to rely on things like these in the long-term.

Edited by jazzboy.bebop on 01 November 2011 at 10:07am

3 persons have voted this message useful

IronFist
United States
Joined 6237 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 21 of 51
01 November 2011 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
Do things that you learn while on Piracetam stay in your memory when you come off of Piracetam?

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5218 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Studies: Norwegian

Message 22 of 51
01 November 2011 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
IronFist wrote:
Do things that you learn while on Piracetam stay in your memory when you come off of Piracetam?

From what I have read, yes. So long as you do appropriate reviews. Long-term memory is strengthened so if one does come off it a little more revision might be required than if you were still on it to retain the info in the long-term but you certainly won't just forget it all.

It is a supplement which should be taken in the medium to long-term, for most people it will take a week or more for the effects to start to manifest. It isn't the kind of thing people can just take now and again for a marathon cramming session and cramming sessions will still bring the problem of having to do a lot of revision over the following days and weeks to keep the info in long-term memory.

If you do decide to try Piracetam, don't forget a choline source like Alpha GPC, Choline Bitartrate or Lecithin. Piracetam uses up choline in your body so you will need to keep replacing it.

Remster
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4605 days ago

120 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 23 of 51
01 November 2011 at 9:32am | IP Logged 
From what I know, it might help if you have to ace a vocabulary test in school, but that's about it.
Yes, it does enhance your memory, but only while your on it, once it wears off, the after effects will be noticeable. (How bad, differs from person to person).
The long term effects of using it without having a medical need for it might not be worth it.

I myself dislike taking stuff like that, but I am forced to, due to the fact that I have a medical need for them. Without them, I can't even study at all, even though I want to.
It can also have effects on your mood and it can also change your emotional attachment to your parents, friends, etc.

You will retain the things you've learned while taking the ''drugs'', but the problem is that once you stop, you might find it difficult to pick up where you left of, without them.
Some are non-addictive, but it might be possible your body will rely on it whenever you study.

If you learn a language without those things, you'll have a higher chance of retaining it, since your brain has been given the time to ''wire'' the language inside it.

I advice not to take medicine just to ''help'', I'd rather drink coffee, even though I dislike it.
I need to take those medication, but for me the effects are different because I use them for a reason.
You might turn into an insomniac, or worse and that's no joke...

Seriously, this is a forum for people who like languages and want to either talk about it, or spend time studying one. It's not a forum where people tell you how to learn a language by pumping yourself full with medication.

-Trust me, I'm experienced with this.-

Edited by Remster on 01 November 2011 at 9:32am

leosmith
United States
Joined 6350 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 24 of 51
01 November 2011 at 11:29am | IP Logged 
I believe that are few if any "harmless" drugs. Just because they think they are ok now doesn't mean 5 or 10 years
down the road they won't find out something terrible about them. Stay natural, and stay safe.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version