norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5218 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 25 of 51
01 November 2011 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
I believe that are few if any "harmless" drugs. Just because they think they are ok now doesn't mean 5 or 10 years
down the road they won't find out something terrible about them. Stay natural, and stay safe.

Indeed, there are very few. At least with Piracetam it has been around since 1964 and has shown to be very safe, even in the long-term. If you already have a healthy mind though, these things can help boost performance but then you might rely on them too much. You can also obtain similar effects through proper diet and exercise.
1 person has voted this message useful

Mauritz
Octoglot
Sweden
Joined 4868 days ago

223 posts - 325 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Old English, Yiddish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Korean, Portuguese, Welsh, Icelandic, Afrikaans

Message 26 of 51
01 November 2011 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
My love of languages causes my body to produce endorphins, which I find to be helping my language learning.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6459 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 27 of 51
01 November 2011 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
I’m on a lot of medicine, sadly, none of them are enhancing but they rather make me dumber. Sleeping pills with a
long half life make you literally retarded in the way you walk, move, the balance is of, logic is falling, etc. etc.
Antidepressants don’t do anything except trying to get read of underlying depression — though that can help.

Nevertheless: I’d strongly recommend people who, like me, are taking drugs, drugs as in prescribed medicine, for
psychiatric conditions especially, but other prescribed medicine too, not to try these ‹smart drugs› due to the fact
that the interaction between medicines is a very very vast field of studies and knowledge and the more different
things you take, the greater is the risk for negative interaction. Grapefruit juice and throat burn powders can
seriously ruin the effect of a medicine.

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6172 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 

Message 28 of 51
02 November 2011 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
Personally I love piracetam with choline. It gives you extreme focus and motivation and
you just remember everything. It basically cured my gf's dyslexia during the time when
she was taking it everyday. I tried aniracetam but didn't get much of a result. Best of
all it's completely non-toxic and has no side effects. It does sound too good to be true.
Everyone should take omega-3 though. That's just basic.

Edited by zerothinking on 02 November 2011 at 1:18am

3 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6350 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 29 of 51
02 November 2011 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
zerothinking wrote:
too good to be true

totally agree

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5566 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 30 of 51
02 November 2011 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
Am I weird for not wanting to mess with such substances without a medical indication?

By the way, people are generally much more likely to choose unhealty food when they are taking a vitamin supplement; I have the suspicion that in the same vein, people will be more likely to choose behaviour that doesn't help with their study success (regarding diet, sleep, relaxation, exercise etc) when they are already taking a so-called neuro-enhancer. We're pretty good at fooling ourselves, and the majority of those who believe they're part of the minority who don't - well, it wouldn't be a minority then.

Edited by Bao on 02 November 2011 at 5:45am

2 persons have voted this message useful

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4759 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 31 of 51
02 November 2011 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
This is a very interesting topic. I think there are some benefits to the medication
itself such as concentration - however as most of the others said, for language
learning it is not very good, unless you need to focus for a short periods of time.

From what I read it lasts for 4 hours. So it would only be good for maybe reading or
learning new vocabulary.

However, it can also increases any underlying mental problems you may have (anxiety
etc)and also after chronic use your brain can become sluggish due to the brains
reliance upon on it.

I honestly do not know what my full opinion of this medication is apart from if it was
meant for humans to use it would be natural and not created - so there is bound to be
negative effects.

Personally, just stick with stuff like fish oils and natural things that aid your body.

IronFist
United States
Joined 6237 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 32 of 51
02 November 2011 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
NickJS wrote:
This is a very interesting topic. I think there are some benefits to the medication
itself such as concentration - however as most of the others said, for language
learning it is not very good, unless you need to focus for a short periods of time.

From what I read it lasts for 4 hours. So it would only be good for maybe reading or
learning new vocabulary.

However, it can also increases any underlying mental problems you may have (anxiety
etc)and also after chronic use your brain can become sluggish due to the brains
reliance upon on it.

I honestly do not know what my full opinion of this medication is apart from if it was
meant for humans to use it would be natural and not created - so there is bound to be
negative effects.

Personally, just stick with stuff like fish oils and natural things that aid your body.

Which medications last 4 hours?

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version